DF Retro: Gran Turismo VS KAZ: Pushing The Virtual Divide

• Thread starter isamu
  • 5 comments

Which is the better Gran Turismo Documentary?

• KAZ: Pushing The Virtual Divide

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • DF Retro: Gran Turismo

Votes: 7 100.0%

• Total voters

isamu

(Banned)
Hi guys just finished watching a documentary about Gran Turismo called Kaz: Pushing the Great Divide.

It was a pretty good and I just realized its an old documentary that came out in 2014. But then we have another documentary that just came out a few months ago by John Linamen and called DF Retro: Gran turismo - A Driving perspective.

Just curious to know which one of these two documentaries you enjoyed more? Did you like the Kaz one, focusing more on the man behind the franchise? Or do you prefer the more game focused DF Retro one?

Vote and let us know :)

-OR-

(part 1)

(part 2)

.........?

Isn't that the one where someone compares Yamauchi to Magellan?

The DF Retro review seems a lot more rooted in actual facts rather than having people just waxing lyrical about how much they like Yamauchi.

Last edited:
The reverence of Yamauchi has been weird and out of place for about 20 years now. I can understand it existing in the early days of GT, as 1-4 are all fantastic boundary pushing games that genuinely deserve their legacy as some of the greatest racing games out there, if not as some of the greatest PS1 & 2 games as a whole.

But now? Nah. The games have been plagued by terrible design decisions and bizarre omissions since GT5. No installment comes close to matching what GT offered in its early years. A documentary like that belongs in 2004, not 2014.

(The DF Retro series on GT is fantastic though)

Last edited:
The reverence of Yamauchi has been weird and out of place for about 20 years now. I can understand it existing in the early days of GT, as 1-4 are all fantastic boundary pushing games that genuinely deserve their legacy as some of the greatest racing games out there, if not as some of the greatest PS1 & 2 games as a whole.

But now? Nah. The games have been plagued by terrible design decisions and bizarre omissions since GT5. No installment comes close to matching what GT offered in its early years. A documentary like that belongs in 2004, not 2014.

(The DF Retro series on GT is fantastic though)

I'm gonna have to go ahead and agree with your comment.

Isn't that the one where someone compares Yamauchi to Magellan?

The DF Retro review seems a lot more rooted in actual facts rather than having people just waxing lyrical about how much they like Yamauchi.

I've so far seen neither, but to expand on your point about DF Retro, that's Digital Foundry, they're known for doing videos that deep-dive into the technical aspects of games, so it makes sense that their video would be more rooted in actual facts.

I've so far seen neither, but to expand on your point about DF Retro, that's Digital Foundry, they're known for doing videos that deep-dive into the technical aspects of games, so it makes sense that their video would be more rooted in actual facts.
yeah, and the one tthey did on ridge racer is also fantastic!!

Back