DFP Drifting

• Thread starter 45 Degrees
  • 16 comments
Hey Guys,

I've been drifting with the controller for about 2 years now, and consider myself above average drifter. I bought a DFP about 3 days ago. Im having real trouble drifting with it. My problem is i cant pull out of the drift without spinning out. I really need some advice.

P.S Ive watched Team FBI's "Mike Le Noir" he makes it look really easy.

Thanks in advance.

I would just not over countersteer, you can be very sensitive with a DFP. go into the drift, countersteer, then ease off of the gas a tad and face the wheels smoothly/quickly back to a regular racing position, and gas again.

Everyone says, oh just ease of the gas and steer smoothly, but in actuality you have to start counter steering before that. DFP lacks caster which prevents the wheel from self centering when the car straightens out. So you need to begin counter steering sooner and don't be afraid to spin that wheel fairly quickly. Hope that helps.

Yeah thanks man, I've been practicing on Midfield in the Lexus Is200(j) its got 320hp thought that wouldnt be too much to start with. Im using Luxuary tires.

If you suggest a better car to start drifting with using the DFP go ahead im all open for answers...

Ahhhhhhh, im going crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I watched Mike Le Noir again.... he gets the car full oppisite lock. im barely getting half and yet i still spin...

I need more detailed information. Startig to think the DFP wasnt worth it. :grumpy:

This is actually in the "Look Here" Thread. Lots of specific details.

Controller Discussions [DFP and DS2]:

But what you need to do is DRIVE with the DFP and get used to it, then try to drift. It's the same with the DS2. You just can't start drifting out of the box and expect to be good at it. You need to get used to the game physics and the controller. So now, you need to get use to the new controller.

Ahhhhhhh, im going crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I watched Mike Le Noir again.... he gets the car full oppisite lock. im barely getting half and yet i still spin...

I need more detailed information. Startig to think the DFP wasnt worth it. :grumpy:

Oh its deff worth it. I'm 100000x better then I was with controller now. Took me about 4 weeks to get decent with it and another 4 to be better then I was before. Start counter steering sooner if your still spinning.

Your not going to get good just because your good with a controller, GT4 is a completely new game with a DFP (driving force pro) or wheel in a sense. Like swift said learn to drive first.

Just play and don't get frusturated:ouch: , I recommend using an RX-7 (FD) for drifting either the 91' or 92' model. They have good power, and those models have some good balance to them. 👍 I dont recommend tuning them just find them in arcade and put them on either N1, N2, or N3 tires (AIDS obviously off:dunce: ) You might want to start off with N1's just because they lose grip easily, and move up to N2 then N3 as you learn technique.

Have a firm grip over the wheel, and I found using the 1st person view works a lot better than the outside view, I can see into the corners better, so try it if your not already uusing it.

If you haven't already adjust the wheel settings to what you prefer, I like simulation mode with active steering on.

Once you get used to the wheel I dont think you'll ever want to use a controller again, if my wheel broke I would not play GT4 until I got a new one(luckily that hasn't happened) it's just that much better. :sly: The range of precision with a wheel is incredble compared to someone using the analog stick. Ask anyone who plays with a wheel, they'll probably say the same.

GT4_drifter7, Tsukuba Drifter and others, did you read the threads that I posted? They really do go over all of this.

you aren't countersteering quick enough, or at the right time. just practice. do some racing and get the feel for the wheel and how much the wheels turn while your racing. and yeah, don't get frustrated. if you do turn it off and come back to it tomorrow when your fresh.
also, you might want to start with a stock 99 Honda S2000. they are easy to drift in stock form, and don't have a lot of hp so all you really need to concentrate on is your steering/braking.

Thank you very much Swift,

Those links you supplied have been more than usefull. Very much appreciated :dopey:

An for the rest of you guys thanks for the advice.

Im going to go kick some tail xD.

Who says you can master something new in a day? Something liek drifitng takes a whilw to "adapt" to. Since you've already been drifitng with DS2, what you're doing is comparing your skill with DS2 to DFP. With higher experience with the DS2, you're obviously going to become frustrated with the fact that you're not doing as well as you did previously. Watching videos as reference is good, but don't pressure yourself to strive that far in such short time. Those people obviously have been DFP drifitng for a while now..

Also, a hot-head can't focus as well as someone who's cool minded.

Back