Did GT1 Teach you something about Tuning?

• Thread starter HYBRIDLVR
  • 12 comments
I have a few Race cars and GT1 certainly taught me about different stages of Tuning where I didn't know existed, for example, The amount of Lock put on a Limited Slip Differential and the many Stages of NA/Tunes and Turbo's, And lets not forget the BigBrake Kits and the prices of the upgrades! Anyone else beside me know how they wanna upgrade there personal car or learnt something about Upgrading because of the GT series? Mainly GT1 because that's where it started.

There weren't any differentials to adjust in GT1, IIRC.

Getting 100 completely different cars in a single PlayStation game is still quite an achievement. It unquestionably raised the driving-sim bar to a point that few other imitators have reached since.

GT5 needs to be programmed and packaged with the same enthusiasm and information as the original. GT1 had driving and racing tips, car stats, when, why and how to setup cars, the whole shebang. It could take the neophyte and turn them into a racing fan in no time.

Yea, The Tuneing got much deeper in GT2 and Especially in GT3, Well I sure learned a lot of edges to take like the Carbon Drive shaft, Brake bias and more, I see the games are very helpful to all whom wish to know short cuts and the proper stages in Moding thier car.

I've always been a Gran Turismo tuner since day 1. I've never raced professionally in real-life, but I had some idea of how to tune a car in theory since I'd read Road & Track magazine since I was a kid. Before I bought GT1, I had a game called "Ford Racing". I'm sure you've all heard of it, nowadays you can still find copies used/abused/forgotten at your local gaming store! In Ford Racing, you can tune a car, but it's primitive compared to GT.

For instance, instead of using a system of dampers, springs, stabilizers, etc...Ford Racing gives a chance to tune your suspension soft to hard in a series of 8 steps. Same with the brakes. When I bought GT, I remember being boggled by the choices one could make...many of which make a difference in racing once you're really trying to hit some faster events. Nowadays in GT, my racing is sometimes so close, tuning (not just engine tuning) can be critical. I've actually lost races because of a sim car that would not respond to my driving habits during a race! And I'll sit there with my Mustang jack-knifing out of a tight corner even with mild throttle going "dammit, I KNEW I shoulda softened those rear bound dampers!" :ouch: while a more agile Elise keeps me at bay.

Last edited:
Some time I wish to retune my car during the race too......
I hope there is option to change a car tuning during pit stop :P.

I learn GT damper mostly from GT1. Confuse by how it behave too :lol:. my father change his car damper and rear spring from my advice, it handle better on uneven road now :).

I learn how the stabilizer work from GT1 too, too much and your car will react badly on uneven road.

👍 for PD to create game that require heavy tuning in PS (for PC there is always NASCAR and Viper racing :)).

sucahyo
Some time I wish to retune my car during the race too......
I hope there is option to change a car tuning during pit stop :P.

I learn GT damper mostly from GT1. Confuse by how it behave too :lol:. my father change his car damper and rear spring from my advice, it handle better on uneven road now :).

I learn how the stabilizer work from GT1 too, too much and your car will react badly on uneven road.

👍 for PD to create game that require heavy tuning in PS (for PC there is always NASCAR and Viper racing :)).

Are you talking about your Dad's real-life car?

Last edited:
Parnelli Bone
Are you talking about your DAd's real-life car?
Yes, a SUV with rear leaf spring. Goes crazy in uneven road before, main suspect for some bump in the head of the rear passenger when it's my turn to drive :dopey:.

I forgot to mention that GT1 also teach me that using "extreme" spring rate is ok, so I begin to use this on other GT too, even on GT4 (different from what most people in GT4 believe :)). Just look at the possible spring rate value for Supra RZ, 7.6 - 12.9 for front, 3.6 - 6.1 for rear. This make me think that 12.9/6.1 is not an extreme value at all.

Parnelli Bone
I've always been a Gran Turismo tuner since day 1. I've never raced professionally in real-life, but i had some idea of how to tune a car in theory since i'd read Road & Track magazine since i was a kid. Before i bought GT1, i had a game called "Ford Racing". I"m sure you've all heard of it, nowadays you can still find copies used/abused/forgotten at your local gameing store! In Frd Rcing, you can tune a car, but it's primitive compared to GT.

I might need to pick your brains for help with tuning in GT2. I just about manage in GT but with the introduction of LSD's etc I nede help to understand.

TMM
I might need to pick your brains for help with tuning in GT2. I just about manage in GT but with the introduction of LSD's etc I nede help to understand.

Cool, you can PM me.

Back