Did this happen to anyone else?

  • Thread starter Thread starter BlackHawk1722
  • 16 comments
  • 1,455 views
Messages
123
United States
Oregon
Messages
DD2Boys
I stopped playing GT6 for a couple months and then I got back into it so I had to do all the updates and whatnot. I stopped at 1.06 so now I had to download till 1.09. It took 3 HOURS TO DO IT ALL!!!!!!!! MAYBE 4!!! Is this normal? my internet iis at 90 percent strength so not an internet thing. WHY!?
 
By 90% strength I assume you mean your signal quality to your router/modem.

You can be on 100% signal and still have slow download speeds.

1.07 to 1.09 was quite a hefty chunk of data, but 3-4 hours is still a long time for that.

----

I would go to google and just search "speedtest", it should be the first result.

Then do a test on a server close to you (it will be clear once you load the website) and report back here.
 
I've never had to DL more than one update at a time, but 3-4 hours seems awfully slow. Like Streeto said, it's probably your download speed, not your wireless signal strength. Currently, we have two PS3 consoles in the house. One is wired & one is wireless. The DL speeds aren't that much different, although the wired connection is a little faster. That being said, I find the PS3 in general to be a very slow downloader (is that a word?), especially compared to the 360 which downloads very quickly.
 
Just do what @street and @Anomaly suggested. Go to speedtest.net and check your download and upload speed. Sounds like that is the problem for sure.

Also yes the PS3 does seem to download much slower than the 360 for whatever reason.
 
I
I stopped playing GT6 for a couple months and then I got back into it so I had to do all the updates and whatnot. I stopped at 1.06 so now I had to download till 1.09. It took 3 HOURS TO DO IT ALL!!!!!!!! MAYBE 4!!! Is this normal? my internet iis at 90 percent strength so not an internet thing. WHY!?
When you said it took 3 HOURS TO DO IT ALL!!!!!!!! MAYBE 4!!! was that just downloading the update and not the install ? because when it installs the update to your HDD that is not downloading it from the internet I think that is right.
 
3 hours sounds about right, between downloading them all and installing. Figure it usually anywhere from 15-45min to download the patch, because of all the people pulling from the same place and/or location which affects your internet speed. Then install time. I guess not many would be downloading the patches right now, but who knows. I download them usually the minute they're released and everything goes down for maintenance. Downloads much faster. Install time the same obviously.
 
Ok, My Speedtest results were 50 mbps download and 11.XX mbps upload.
Is that bad? Good? average?
 
It took like half day to update from 1.01 to 1.09. I just leave the PS3 on and do something else. Come back and bammmmm it is ready to play :D
 
I don't know what it is with the Ps3/Gran turismo servers.
Last updates took 20-40 minutes per update maybe more.
what i dislike, the installation from ps3 to GT6 also takes long times.

My internet: 80 MBPS down 17 MBPS up, realtime that is 10Mb download and 2MB upload. (1Byte is 8bits, MBPS=megabitpersecond divide by 8 and you get the MegaByte value)
On Wifi, i got the first big update,lots of minutes, i stopped it, plugged a cable, changed settings on the ps3.
Again, lots of minutes, changed again some settings, no change.
Switched to dynamic IP adres instead of DHCP, nope still the same
Switching from wifi to cable should double the speed, it did not.

My conclusion without any real proof
It is the server containing the updates.
Maybe it is the same server that some online players are on?

It is wierd.
 
The PS3 downloader is absolute rubbish, my PC downloads at about 12 X the speed & it has a lower signal strength.

Its down to the PS3 NOT your internet connection.
 
I just leave it updating and go watch TV or something.
 
I downloaded GTA V recently and it took roughly an hour and a half to download all 18 GB, and I did all GT5 updates to 2.10-ish in 45 minutes (the installations were a lot faster than 6 for whatever reason). GT6 updates, minus the final installation of course, would likely take around 15 minutes. Unless everybody is counting GT6's terrible instalation times as part of the download, it's looking likely that @dddsprayshop has nailed it by suggesting different speeds from the Sony servers themselves, considering the PS3 appears to be capped at roughly a not exactly slow 40 down 10 up, at least mine is. My PC runs faster, so I figure my PS3 is hardware limited to that speed.

@Wide Boy, either you have a truly monstrous connection, you're running the PS3 with the PC on which drains the speed massively, or you're using the joke of a wireless connection that the PS3 uses. When I first got my Internet connection I made the mistake of trying to play GT5 with the wireless, and it lagged so much that it was taking several times as long to do anything. I'm pretty sure that that extends to updates as well.
 
only 4 hours? For the first GT6 update it took my ps3 3hrs alone and I'm connected to my router through an Ethernet cable. The rest were about an hour each.
 
That's exactly what happened to me and then it took another 3 hours for the in game update!
 
@mistersafeway You must be lucky then judging from the responses, servers might be the problem.
I just know I downloaded something on my PS3 then downloaded a similar size file on my laptop. One took half an hour the other a couple of minutes.
Not a definitive test by a long way but something's wrong & lap top was on wifi so it should have been slower.
 
@mistersafeway You must be lucky then judging from the responses, servers might be the problem.
I just know I downloaded something on my PS3 then downloaded a similar size file on my laptop. One took half an hour the other a couple of minutes.
Not a definitive test by a long way but something's wrong & lap top was on wifi so it should have been slower.

Not necessarily, think about the cheapest wireless technology you can get now, then think about the cheapest wireless technology you could get roughly ten years ago. The PS3 is, in comparison to a lot of tech, a dinosaur, nowadays wireless connections are easily better than the best commercially available when the PS3 was developed, which also shows with the hardware being obviously limited even when wired. I feel I should add, my PS3 isn't always that fast, but it does usually download 8 GB per hour at least, maybe I'm just lucky with my ISP.

I'll just state my opinion here, from most to least responsible for these problems it's the Sony servers, Polyphony Digital for pushing the PS3 too hard, the people who designed the PS3 who only hold less blame than PD because they were likely not aware of these problems at the time, and (possibly) the end users for expecting the PS3's connection to work perfectly straight away. I'd recommend everybody who is having issues with updates to look for optimum PS3 connection settings online, it seems to work for enough people that it's worth trying. The only advice I have on this subject is try your PS3 after turning it on with everything else off, it'll likely be faster. The PS3 receives a low priority on an unmodified router... I really need to arrange my thoughts better. :lol:
 
Back