Digital vs. Analog Pad

  • Thread starter Thread starter Fresh
  • 24 comments
  • 1,983 views
Messages
56
I'm just curious to see if using the digital pad is a thing of the past. I use it in gt3 because i can't control the car as well with analog. Am I missing out on anything besides slight improvement in turning radius control? Also do many use the right analog stick for accelerate and brake?
 
I use the stick for turning and the buttons for gas and brake. You get use to using the stick after a little practice. Plus its easier on the fingers...
 
nah, i cant gat the hang of dem sticks :/
 
i use the sticksof for both.

Steering: You really should take the time to get good with it, its a lot more fluid and does give you more control over the car than the D-Pad....you can feel the 'flow' of the car better as it drives.

Acc/Brake: Theres not really much diff here, except you can brake and accelerate at the same time with sticks like some people do.....I use the stick because I hate having to make sure im pushing X down all the way, and sometimes im not and lose power, it also hurts your thumbs after a while.
 
Some of the fastest and smoothest drivers I know use the buttons and the D-pad, but I look like a drunken Iraqi tank driver with that setup. I use left analog to steer and right analog to gas/brake.
 
I use the D-pad and buttons.

I think the setup for using both analog sticks is better for Moto Gp on the XBOX, because of the way the two sticks are positioned. On the Dualshock 2, the sticks are too close together for me, and its just harder.

OA
 
I had that feeling at first as well but you get use to it. Unlike Microsoft, Sony had some work done on how functionality of the controller and tried to make it mold to your hand. They did tests to see if you could reach buttons easily too. The sticks feel weird at first but then you get used to it...
 
sticks are nice.. i like sticks.... theyre grippy... your fingers don't slide off as easy as the dpad..
 
In my opinion it depends entirely on the driver, as both the sticks and the buttons are analog

my bud uses the pad and buttons and can keep up with me, i use the stick and buttons. the pad is easier to use if you ask me, but the stick seems to have better responsiveness
 
I use the D-pad and buttons, does hurt your thumb, Ive even got a dent on the inside of my knuckle:odd:
 
D-Pad all the way!!!

1st person view as well, as neon_duke stated, I drive like a drunk Iraqi tank driver if I use anything other than the D-pad or the 1st person view. Blast those infernal little sticks.
 
I use the right analog to steer and the buttons for throttle and brake. The analog sticks turn the wheels much quicker than the D-pad does. Try it if you dont beleive me.
 
Actually the response is the same for both for me. On the TEST Coarse I use the Dpad for the turns, I push it in a rapid succession so I stay on the same line.
 
I use the standard set-up: Left stick to steer, buttons to accelerate and brake. I've simply never gotten used to using both sticks-- Having one stick moving right-left and the other moving up-down really confuses my poor, overloaded brain. I've become very good (in my opinion) with throttle management using the buttons... most people use the stick because it provides better throttle management, but I've been able to compensate quite well. Also, there's one thing that you can do using buttons, but that you can't do using the sticks: Holding down the brake and revving the engine at the same time. :p

I can't use the D-Pad for steering... the response time lags horribly for me. I might as well go drive a Zonda if I'm forced to use the D-Pad...

I too drive like a drunkard when not using 1st-person view... I've tried the "back" view, and it's absolutely horrid! Sure, it's nice to be able to see your car, but it blocks your view, and the steering inputs seem so lagged, since the camera has to readjust its viewing angle each time you change the car's direction.
 
I drive like a Semi drink with that veiw at times. I usually use that view on the straight aways. Hey your car might as well be pink if you cant see it! :lol:...
 
Dual Sticks.... !

Can't get any smooth throttle modulation with the buttons, plus it looks bad on the reply and lap analyzer.

I suppose it's fine with race cars. But on Sim Tyres it's death.:)
 
I use the d-pad to steer (it IS preasure sensitive - DS/2) and right analog for gas and brake.

If I had the determination to retrain myself, I'd use d-pad to steer, right analog for accel, and R1 for brake (YES, the shoulder buttons are also preasure sensitive)
 
Can't stand the sticks on the PS2. So i get stuck with the buttons. Xbox on the other hand has some of the most functional sticks i have come across in a platform (pc guy, so i really don't like either setups much) and the triggers work so much better for gas and for brake. The sticks on the dual shock make it real hard to shift and steer at the same time. :cool:
 
I've got 1 question and 1 coment

How do I gas with the right stick when I use it nothin happens?
I can only drive with the car showing, If I dont I drive like a drunk mexican from NC in a blizzard driving a viper!:lol:
 
LOL! What do you mean by gas with the right stick is it an acceleration button or something?:confused:
 
You have to set that in your Options... there's one preference thing for button designations.
 
Originally posted by boombexus
D-Pad all the way!!!

1st person view as well, as neon_duke stated, I drive like a drunk Iraqi tank driver if I use anything other than the D-pad or the 1st person view. Blast those infernal little sticks.
Are you REALLY that fast with the D-pad?:eek:
Please tell me you are joking. I don't mind getting beaten. But you're doing it with the D-Pad????
I feel like I get more control out of those "infernal little sticks," at least for turning.
 
Back