DIRT 3, CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME HOW TO DRIFT.

• Thread starter robozo
  • 10 comments
Switzerland
Switzerland
hi all

i just bought Dirt 3, for PS3. now i dont really understand how to drift, whenever i start to drift, the car just ends up sideways. how can i drift right?

steering setup is: speed up-X, brake-R2, handbrake -O.
gears - automatic.

thanks and greetings, robozo

First off, I recommend adjusting your controls. Using the X button for the throttle is not optimal since drifting requires various amounts of throttle pressure. Also, try switching to manual if you're up to it. I don't remember how well DiRT's automatic shifting is for drifting, but using manual will give you much more control. (Most drifts should be taken in 2nd gear. Sometimes 3rd gear if it's a high-speed corner.)

If you keep spinning out halfway through the turn, then you are probably applying too much throttle and/or you are not counter-steering enough.

If you keep spinning out halfway through the turn, then you are probably applying too much throttle and/or you are not counter-steering enough.

thanks for your answer ameer. right now i want to stick to automatic, i dont know the game at all. ill probably check out manual later. but ill change the pads steering settings back, just like you said.
as for drifting, i press brake (R2) quickly, and then (counter) steer in whatever direction needed, right?

i still have a lot of the steering help turned on.

thanks for your help, and cheers, robozo

Last edited:
I like to think this game has two states of a drift.

1) A shallow slide where the rear has lost enough grip to oversteer, but is still controllable
2) A slide with an angle so sharp you can't undo it.

I remember I used to hit the latter state way too often, and only took hours to practice to get the hang of being able to initiate a shallow drift without whipping the car into it too hard.

If you're familiar with the common techniques such as the Scandinavian flick, brake, power over, lift-off oversteer, you'll find something comfortable with the car you use. Naturally all cars will handle and respond to the road and your input differently, so you'll have to play around with each technique to find what works best for you.

If you're doing Automatic, just note that if the car ends up downshifting to a gear too low, you'll know when the the RPM hits the limiter and you're getting no power through the turn. Before I switched to manual, I usually end up triggering this event if I let off the gas for too long in a slide. To prevent it from downshifting too low, you can pump the throttle.

Also, don't be afraid to let off the throttle for a split second if you anticipate the car will whip out of control (usually from landing after a hitting a bump). And if you find that the car is veering too deep of an angle when doing a lift-off oversteer, get back on the gas (not applicable for RWD).

I like to think this game has two states of a drift.

1) A shallow slide where the rear has lost enough grip to oversteer, but is still controllable
2) A slide with an angle so sharp you can't undo it.

I remember I used to hit the latter state way too often, and only took hours to practice to get the hang of being able to initiate a shallow drift without whipping the car into it too hard.

If you're familiar with the common techniques such as the Scandinavian flick, brake, power over, lift-off oversteer, you'll find something comfortable with the car you use. Naturally all cars will handle and respond to the road and your input differently, so you'll have to play around with each technique to find what works best for you.

If you're doing Automatic, just note that if the car ends up downshifting to a gear too low, you'll know when the the RPM hits the limiter and you're getting no power through the turn. Before I switched to manual, I usually end up triggering this event if I let off the gas for too long in a slide. To prevent it from downshifting too low, you can pump the throttle.

Also, don't be afraid to let off the throttle for a split second if you anticipate the car will whip out of control (usually from landing after a hitting a bump). And if you find that the car is veering too deep of an angle when doing a lift-off oversteer, get back on the gas (not applicable for RWD).

wow, this sounds complicated, i still dont really know what i should do now...

do you know some good youtube tutorials?

Nope. I learned what all those techniques were when I tried to learn drifting in GT4. Just throw the car into a slide, and if it seems uncontrollable, do it again while whipping the car less.

Also it really helps to do this repeated on any one track so you build muscle memory under consistent road conditions.

If you still too shy to step into a game: go do the following: Time Trial > Kenton Descent > Class: Open. Pick any one car and try to reach a time of 1:27. Pay attention to where you're losing time on traction loss.

Nope. I learned what all those techniques were when I tried to learn drifting in GT4. Just throw the car into a slide, and if it seems uncontrollable, do it again while whipping the car less.

Also it really helps to do this repeated on any one track so you build muscle memory under consistent road conditions.

ok, this sounds good, ill try what you suggested. should i turn off all steerings aids?

thanks for the hints.

robozo

Just remember, drifting is a balancing act. Too much throttle - you will spin out. Too little throttle - you're not moving fast enough to sustain the drift. Don't forget about the steering and counter-steering.

Just remember, drifting is a balancing act. Too much throttle - you will spin out. Too little throttle - you're not moving fast enough to sustain the drift. Don't forget about the steering and counter-steering.

ok thanks, should i turn off all steerings aids, when practicing on any of the tracks?

ok thanks, should i turn off all steerings aids, when practicing on any of the tracks?
Your call. I have never used the steering aids since day 1 of DiRT so I don't know if they will help you drift or not.

Your call. I have never used the steering aids since day 1 of DiRT so I don't know if they will help you drift or not.

with the aids turned on, you dont have to do much anymore, its like an elevator! : )

thanks for the hints, and a merry christmas

robozo

Back