DiRT 4 - Which driving mode will you use?

• Thread starter FT-1
  • 14 comments

What kind of driver are you?

• Normal

• Simulation

Results are only viewable after voting.
United Kingdom
Wreckage, Turn 1
PrecisionXCIV
As shown by the image below, DiRT 4 will feature two handling models. Normal seeks to appeal of fans of the DiRT 1-3 games featuring an accessible driving model optimised for fun, while simulation builds upon the challenging but rewarding experience introduced by DiRT Rally.
pgxDERV.png

So I thought I would run a poll to gauge user interest in both modes - Which handling model are you more likely to play DiRT 4 with and why? Even though the hardcore approach taken by DiRT Rally is thrilling, it was a bit too unforgiving from what I expect from a video game. Earlier DiRT games provided me with more satisfaction so I went with Normal.

As shown by the image below, DiRT 4 will feature two handling models. Normal seeks to appeal of fans of the DiRT 1-3 games featuring an accessible driving model optimised for fun, while simulation builds upon the challenging but rewarding experience introduced by DiRT Rally.
pgxDERV.png

So I thought I would run a poll to gauge user interest in both modes - Which handling model are you more likely to play DiRT 4 with and why? Even though the hardcore approach taken by DiRT Rally is thrilling, it was a bit too unforgiving from what I expect from a video game. Earlier DiRT games provided me with more satisfaction so I went with Normal.
It'll be simulation all the way for me.
I'm so glad they've been smart enough to give us the option.

To me, there are three different categories a driving game can fall into:
1) Arcade
2) Simcade
3) Simulation

When considering a game for purchase, I read all the reviews available & if it doesn't play like a simulation, it can stay on the shelf as far as I'm concerned.

IMO, when Gran Turismo 5 was released, the first driving physics model made this game a hardcore simulation as far as the PS3 would allow.
Unfortunately, subsequent 'updates' dumbed it down & really ruined the experience for me.

Lastly, other driving game developers could learn a thing or two from Codies here & give us the option of choosing 'Normal' or 'Simulation'

I'll be using Normal as I'm becoming disillusioned with the whole "Simulation or bust" mantra that many racing games are adopting.

I voted Simulation, but it occurred to me that it might depend on whether any of the camera views are a good match for the handling.

Codemasters games have always turned me off from cockpit/dash/hood view because of the floaty movement of the car and nonsensical animation for steering. But chase cams are rarely a good match for "hardcore" physics. I never played DiRT Rally so I'm not sure what to believe about how it plays or feels.

T300RS>simulation if they stick with Dirt Rally set up after months I have found FFB/rotation I like, Arcade mode for fun, dust and Buggies or messing around on DS4..Great to have the two options in one game, as said above I hope this carries forward now in new IP's..Drive Club did it with simcade/hardcore handling.. The Ego game engine graphics do look a little sharper in the videos so I am hoping for a PS4 Pro patch too and VR DLC to compliment DiRT Rally's new VR in the future :bowdown: Overall great news for driving games coming in 2017:tup:

p.s @MeanElf I have a feeling it will be just a replay system and a free cam again for Codemasters ego engine, Evolutions new IP will have the full photomode I am sure :sly:

Sim first and foremost, but is that ends up sucking then unfortunately I will have to go Normal.

Back