Dirt events in GT series

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
I've done beta testing and as much as I enjoyed it I wasn't sold on online aspect only but since the last update I was seriously considering buying it. Turned out I didn't have to - got it from my girlfriend for Christmas. Jumped straight in (after few hours updates of course) and after first few races decided to do Driving school and some missions. Needles to say, wanted gold for all and it was going great until last tier...
Why the hell does PD insist on including dirt events in GT series!?! I don't like dirt racing at all! What a nonsense, if I want to race rally cars I will buy rally racing game which are much better that those poor GT attempts!!!
What's worse is the fact that they didn't even try to make it believable. Why do I have to race on dirt against some other cars at the same time??! (Don't even get me started on why do I always have to start last and overtake others to get gold!!! (RANT OVER)

Hope there will be no mandatory rally events further in career mode!?

How do you guys feel about this aspect of GT series?

Waste of time and time resources in my opinion, dirt events are not even used in sport mode so why bother creating tracks and cars for this.

I have dirt rally in my collection and if I want to rally I will play it.

The time spent on rally in this game could’ve been used for more tracks which the game really needs after 2 months of racing on the same tracks day in day out.

Considerably less personally offended by it than you, I'd say.

It's never been a strong point for the series, but I think it's better in GTS than it ever has been, and I do find it satisfying enough to do voluntarily include in my playing experience.

The complaint about it not being believable is an odd one though, I mean, I can understand what you are saying, but it's simply circuit racing on a less grippy surface, what is unbelievable about that?

Considerably less personally offended by it than you, I'd say.

It's never been a strong point for the series, but I think it's better in GTS than it ever has been, and I do find it satisfying enough to do voluntarily include in my playing experience.

The complaint about it not being believable is an odd one though, I mean, I can understand what you are saying, but it's simply circuit racing on a less grippy surface, what is unbelievable about that?

Might have put it the wrong way - As I've said I'm not a fan of rally racing but as far as I'm concerned it's all about the racing against the clock, not against the others...

Default Rally is horrendous.
Change your settings sheet to Dirt and gearbox to custom, it transforms it into something quite enjoyable.

No idea why PD doesn't set the cars to the correct setup to start with?

The dirt tracks are fun in VR, even though the viewpoint isn't properly attached to the car.

Dirt Rally does it much better, but at least driving alone makes sense in rally. (The lone AI driver in VR is just there for show)

It would have been nice to have a rally section in GT League.
Also would be nice to have drift events in VR. Why is drift actually in there? Does anyone actually play it beyond getting the achievement xp bonus?

I quite like it. I did all three levels of the drift achievement on dirt and found it much more fun than trying to coax a drift out of the cars on tarmac. You just have to change your mindset; it's all about control and not about outright speed so brake early, set the car up for the corner and maintain the drift through the whole corner. To rack up big points in drift trial, you just need to stay near the racing line with as much angle as you can safely hold and on some of the dirt tracks, it's simple to get over 15,000 on a run. In the challenges and head to head races you do exactly the same, but just adjust your line for an overtake. Stringing together a good lap on Fishermans Ranch is quite rewarding, and certainly more fun than anything at Willow Springs.

I like dirt racing in GTS. I find that the physics are good, similar to any gravel/dirt road I've driven on.

I dont have the patince to do drifting on tarmac (just the random powerslide here and there), so I have a blast trying to maintain skids throughout multiple corners on the dirt stages.

Last edited:
I like the dirt stages in GTS. The handling improved greatly thanks to an earlier patch and I have a lot of fun with it. Having said that I would not be upset with the exclusion of the dirt courses and if it was a choice between sacrificing tarmac tracks to include them then no way would I go for that.

Back