DiRT Rally 2.0 Won't Support VR (At Least At Launch)

This is very disappointing to say the least. I’ve spent many hours in Dirt Rally VR on my T500RS and it is an incredible experience. The sense of speed, head tracking & thorough implementation make it the most immersive and fun VR game I’ve ever played.

I simply couldn’t go back to using a static screen :(

Yep agree this is a massive mistake. Dirt Rally in VR is frigging awesome, the sense of scale and elevations impress me everytime. Looks like I'll be sticking with the original until we get the VR DLC.

The inclusion of VR in PC version of Dirt Rally was free...

Only in PS4 the VR inclusion came as a paid DLC..

More than happy to pay for the VR DLC. Dirt Rally VR DLC was about $20, when I picked it up recently. Maybe the best $20 I've ever spent. Whenever I think about paying for DLC I consider Go Karts are $35 for 10 mins in Australia, and a great beer can cost $20.:cheers:

Such is the modern way. Release game with a few missing features you can pay for later. It's not even as if the VR element will take any real effort to implement, especially for PC users.

I was looking forward to seeing the PSVR band on the packaging

I think I recall, obviously not the same situation but Microsoft requiring all games to be Xbox live compatible when that was implemented.

Come on Sony sort them out

I feel Codemasters are very clinical about the return of investment on development costs. This thinking will come from the top management rather than the guys doing the dev work. VR is important to me too but fact is we're a pretty marginal number, so cost-wise it would quickly fail their ROI pass mark. Codemasters even give us the crappy console UI on the PC versions to save money.

Last edited:
Hey Guys,

I think this is just good business to be honest. Part of me initially thought this was a cynical move, but it does make sense.

VR Support will be offered for sure, but as an additional DLC purchase many months later after release. This is also great free advertising for the game when it finally gets VR support (in the same way that GT's monthly updates may attract others to the series).

I can't imagine it is too technically demanding a job, especially considering that they have successfully implemented it in the past. But it does help justify the development costs for what will always be a niche market.

I have never played the original Dirt Rally, but I have heard great things and love PSVR. I was going to hold off buying it and wait for Dirt Rally 2, but with this news I think instead I will buy the original Dirt and take it for a spin at a reduced price :)

Then when Dirt Rally 2 is going cheap I will pick up with VR support also :)

Unfortunately for Codemasters , no PS VR mode , no game for me.
It is hard to get back to flat once you're actually in cars and I'm ok playing original D:R VR until something else comes out , just like I've passed D4 and that ex-Evo studios game.

That said , CM's just don't handle business side good. I would be glad (or stupid enough) to pay full price at release , if only they would confirm VR is coming later. Instead I'll probably buy game heavily discounted after few months (if - when VR update is released) , just like it did happened last time with D:R VR. That is a lot of lost money for Codies and for sure they need some .

Can you imagine what could have been if they put the resource and budget from Rush into Dirt Rally 2.0.

I was in Smyths picking up Astrobot yesterday and Rush was £11. I wasn’t even tempted at that.

Back