DiRT Rally - Can I Turn The Penalties Off?

• Thread starter VBR
  • 6 comments

VBR

Meme Dissident in Exile...
Premium
England
Yorkshire
ScapeGoat4U
WhippingBoy
I'm kind of interested in buying this game, but am really put off by the 10 second penalties that I've heard about. One of the most exciting things about rallying is when you have a close call, get away with it, & then go on to put in a good time. This aspect of reality is ruined by having unrealistic arcade style penalties. However, I can understand forcing them on for online leaderboards, to stop the cheats.

My question is this; can they be turned off for the offline single player?

:cheers:

@VBR afaik we only get penalty when reset to track, going to far off track, driving off cliffs etc and 1:30 for fixing punctured tyres. If you stay on track (or not too far off) you don't get any penalties no matter how good or bad you drive

You get an automatic penalty for getting too close to spectators (or outright mowing them down)

That's too far off track like mentioned above 👍

It's a great game and worth every penny. I'm average driver and usually top 4 against AI with spins and penalties. I think AI is adapting to my driving and stage times...

It's luck of the draw. You can go a bit off and drive back on before the penalty kicks in. Have the misfortune to do the same with spectators or marshals nearby and it's instant penalty and reset.

VBR
One of the most exciting things about rallying is when you have a close call, get away with it, & then go on to put in a good time.
That's still possible. If you run wide, you get a fifteen-second countdown. If you don't make it back to the road in time, or if you automatically reset the car, you take a penalty. It's calculated by the amount of time you are off the track, so if you are off for five seconds, you take a ten second penalty, but it's by no means restrictive - you're always faster on the road than off.

As has been pointed out, you take an instant penalty if you "hit" spectators or marshals. You also take penalties for repairing punctures and for going over the maximum allowed times for repairs.

You cannot turn the penalties off, but I have never received one that I felt was unfair.

At least it's not like RBR where there are photographers who jump in the middle of the track and stay there wayyy too late. You hit them, the screen turns red and you get 10 seconds penalty (+5 to restart the car and get going again). It's not my fault!!! :mad: :lol:

Back