• Thread starter Rallywagon
  • 9 comments

Rallywagon

what a long strange trip
Premium
United States
Michigan
Rallywgn81
Went to get some updates done for my league and I couldn't get on the dirtgame.com site. Anyone else having the same issue? General maintenance or perhaps (hopefully) updating the website?

@Rallywagon, is this what you're seeing?

upload_2015-11-5_18-9-44.png

I've been having the same issue and worse since the last update...I can login to Dirt Rally website, DirtGame.com, but cannot access Leagues or comment on forums...I cannot access online events nor leagues ingame either...

Everytime I've tried to go on online events or leagues on the console or website over the last 2 days its been down. Something for somebody to fix when they get to work on Monday morning I think.

Everytime I've tried to go on online events or leagues on the console or website over the last 2 days its been down. Something for somebody to fix when they get to work on Monday morning I think.

I think you have a point there...Shame though, more people game on the weekends because that's when most are off work, unfortunately, CodeMasters employees apparently have the weekends off as well leaving us to flounder around until the next weekend when we can get back to it...Seems to me their time would be better off spent, at least after an update, working on the weekend to ensure that things are running smoothly...

I have to imagine they would have some sort of on call support at the very least. Major updates can always cause hiccups though. I've been out of racing for a hot minute... Gotta fix that problem... So I am not sure if there were any back end CD changes relating to network connectivity, but GTA just had one and their network got a big wonky the day it hit, and GT is notorious for having bugs and issues for weeks after an update. Some things are easier than others to debug and fix as well.

This has nothing to do with the update and goes way beyond what a patch could cause. The official website is having problems. The homepage shows all stats at zero. The Events page is empty, and the Leagues page throws a 500 error. 500 internal server errors are generally serious breakdowns. Sometimes they can be fixed by a server reboot, and sometimes they can be caused by catastrophic data loss. In between would be maybe a hanging server, or a coding error that causes the webserver to fail to interpret what we are requesting from it through our browsers. I suspect there is something wrong with the RaceNet database. The DB is where all our times, results and stats are stored, so when the official site is showing all stats at zero it is definitely not good news. It might just be a networking hiccup between the webserver and the database, or could be as bad as a catastrophic loss of data in the DB, or somewhere in between.

If the issue means that all our stats are wiped out, I am quite sure that Codies would have a backup of everything. Personally, on every web site or application I design, I run automatic backups every 24 hours of webserver files as well as database tables. If I were running RaceNet I would ensure that those backups were being taken every five minutes at the very least.

Let's hope that they can get it sorted soon.

BTW, as kind of a prelude to this outage, my second league event finished late Thursday night. Friday morning, just before the problems started, I noticed that no-one was awarded points for finishing. The results were logged, but the championship standings were not updated. I suspect that the breakdown was already underway at that point.

Back