Dirty driving

• Thread starter mark72meg
  • 14 comments
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
why must there be so much shunting in this game. I’m not the fastest driver, I’ve been stuck in DR D/ SR B for a while. I usually qualify in 9ish place. I’m cool with that.

This last race B annoyed me a lot though. Qualified in P12, and through clean consistent racing I get to P6 on the penultimate lap. Then I get shunted off on the hairpin, and we’ll the beat I could recover was P10. I had no penalties in that race, neither did the driver who shunted me off

It’s really annoying that I’m enjoying my race, in the understanding that I probably won’t come first, only for someone else to ruin it.

Anyway, rant over!

why must there be so much shunting in this game. I’m not the fastest driver, I’ve been stuck in DR D/ SR B for a while. I usually qualify in 9ish place. I’m cool with that.

This last race B annoyed me a lot though. Qualified in P12, and through clean consistent racing I get to P6 on the penultimate lap. Then I get shunted off on the hairpin, and we’ll the beat I could recover was P10. I had no penalties in that race, neither did the driver who shunted me off

It’s really annoying that I’m enjoying my race, in the understanding that I probably won’t come first, only for someone else to ruin it.

Anyway, rant over!

If you want to race wheel to wheel with people in that DR/SR class then you're going to have to get better about driving defensively or back off and just focus on improving your SR score. Defensively, either hog up the inside line and make distance through the rest of the circuit or perform a late apex turn to retake position on a dive bomber.

If you want to race wheel to wheel with people in that DR/SR class then you're going to have to get better about driving defensively or back off and just focus on improving your SR score. Defensively, either hog up the inside line and make distance through the rest of the circuit or perform a late apex turn to retake position on a dive bomber.

I am C B and taking the inside line for defense seems to be an open invitation fornthe other car to take the racing line anyways and slam me off the apex. Its usually safer for me to leave the inside line for the divebomb and cut back on them. Which is the exact opposite of what i should be doing. Depends on how the other car is behaving i suppose but it feels like most people are full sending it up the inside. I got hit off at the last turn of interlagos about 500 times last week by people attempting to fly up the inside.

I am C B and taking the inside line for defense seems to be an open invitation fornthe other car to take the racing line anyways and slam me off the apex. Its usually safer for me to leave the inside line for the divebomb and cut back on them. Which is the exact opposite of what i should be doing. Depends on how the other car is behaving i suppose but it feels like most people are full sending it up the inside. I got hit off at the last turn of interlagos about 500 times last week by people attempting to fly up the inside.

You're right, it's all situational and based on how the other cars are driving.

That being said, my defensive inside line strategy before the current penalty system was to line up for a pit maneuver if I felt like they were going to close the door on me. This resulted in them punting themselves off of the track. Under the current penalty system, if they run off track from that, then I get the penalty. So now I line up two wheels on the tarmac, two on the curbing, and if I get rammed from the outside, I cut the corner off of the track to hand them the penalty. The same for the outside line... I stay at the edge of the track so that if they hit me on their exit, they get a penalty.

I'm not advocating baiting and gaming the penalty system but I do support putting yourself in a defensible position where the penalty system will work in your favor. Most people now, avoid hitting the car on the outside edge because they know it's an instant penalty.

Work your SR up to A or S.

What I did when I was in B was hang out near the back away from everyone doing clean races, didn't take long for my SR rating to go up. Now my SR is at S and the lobbies are all super clean racing.

Work your SR up to A or S.

What I did when I was in B was hang out near the back away from everyone doing clean races, didn't take long for my SR rating to go up. Now my SR is at S and the lobbies are all super clean racing.
Yeah, I’ve taken the advice and moved to race C, which is much better for clean driving. I’m now SR S so the racing is good. I only did race B because I don’t have a lot of time to race.

Even at SR.S there are drivers who have no respect or awareness. There are people who think the move must be made right now and can’t wait for a proper opportunity. I back out of overtakes if I think it’s going to end in contact. I quite often get impatient idiots ram in corners when I’m following as close as I can to the car in front without crashing.
Stalk your prey, learn his weakness and strike when the time is right! I’d rather follow someone for a couple of laps and have a good race, than ruin my and others races on a stupid over optimistic move.

Even at SR.S there are drivers who have no respect or awareness. There are people who think the move must be made right now and can’t wait for a proper opportunity. I back out of overtakes if I think it’s going to end in contact. I quite often get impatient idiots ram in corners when I’m following as close as I can to the car in front without crashing.
Stalk your prey, learn his weakness and strike when the time is right! I’d rather follow someone for a couple of laps and have a good race, than ruin my and others races on a stupid over optimistic move.
This is very true, I was at SR.S and I thought, I’ll just quickly do one last race C before it changes on Monday. Oh boy. So on the last lap, at the penultimate corner of Sardegna A I get shunted into the wall. You all know the corner, it requires hard braking. So I lost 4 positions.

Of course, no penalties given at all, thankfully I didn’t get one for hitting the wall. Back to SR.A.

Sadly, I don’t think SR ratings mean anything. It’s just human behaviour and desire to beat everyone else. I’m now kinda ignoring these ranks and trying to focus on enjoying the racing.

As others have said, join a racing league that race on a regular basis. I used to get frustrated with Sport mode racing but now I'm part of a mixed class endurance racing league and it's SO much better. No penalties (other than corner cut) and incidents are investigated by stewards after the race so it's infinitely fairer - and that's on the rare occasion incidents happen. There's a lot more accountability and reputation at stake in a racing league, so people behave a lot more. OK in Sport mode people can see your PSN-ID, but there's still an element of "I'll never see them again, so F--- it" which you can't get away with in a racing league.

Also with league racing it opens up a lot more than just racing 'random people'. You get to know others and make friends. Also you can learn off others on how to improve your racecraft and above all have a log of fun doing it.

Get to SR S
SR S is literally just a letter. Over half of my Race C races last week had an SR S driver cause a stupid collision in Turn 1, and at least a quarter of the races featured a mid race crash. Sure, you’re less likely to encounter morons who “miss their braking point,” but you could be racing someone who is at the lowest number for SR while remaining S.

SR S is literally just a letter. Over half of my Race C races last week had an SR S driver cause a stupid collision in Turn 1, and at least a quarter of the races featured a mid race crash. Sure, you’re less likely to encounter morons who “miss their braking point,” but you could be racing someone who is at the lowest number for SR while remaining S.
Also, there's a big difference between someone whose SR stays more or less at 99 race after race, and someone who is somewhere in the S band for that particular race, but frequently dips below 50 SR, zigzagging up and down all the time. Even in an all SR S lobby, you can have a pretty good guess at what someone's SR history graph is going to look like when you've seen how they drive.

Back