DISABLED DRIVER

• Thread starter smitty33
  • 13 comments
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
latics33
I am a 70 year old disabled driver. As such I can only drive in GT6 using a hand held controller. and automatic gear changing. Even so I am thoroughly enjoying the experience.
However I am becoming extremely frustrated by 2 races. Super licence tests 4 and 5. The only things I can change are the driving options, but whatever combination of these I try I can only get within 1 second of the bronze time limit. Can anyone please advise me which driving options I should be using to shave off that annoying second. Thanks in anticipation of your help.

I used TCS 0, ABS 1, and ASM on for the Lambo, take away the ASM for Veyron. I do use manual, but the results should be close enough to count (I'm almost two seconds above the Veyron gold, and a whole second over on the lambo).

SRF is always good for knocking some time off, I use it and TCS 1 + ABS 1 to get the easiest quick laps. Being that they're both 4wd, so TCS might not be necessary and may cause excess understeer.

As mentioned above ASM on TCS off & ABS on 1 or 2. This formula has helped me snag golds in the S licences.
Also try using the driving line It may help tidy up your laps pretty soon you'll be eyeing off the golds. Good luck.

Good advise above, and good on you for getting stuck in with the game!
I am currently disabled too, (no movement in my left arm, and limited movement in left fingers) and have had to make the adjustment from my G27 racing wheel to a controller so I really feel your pain about how much harder things seem to be!

early on the brakes ... early on the throttle again ... both are surprisingly forgiving cars ... did it with ds3 too ... for throttle/brake I use the right stick ... it gives me more "pause" between brakes and on the throttle again ... which i find very useful .. sure this is a personal opinion ... but it might help you to be quicker round those corners ...
Please let us know how you progress 👍

I am willing to modify any controller you want to make it easier for you guys to play, I have a child who also has a disability , and have had to modify a few controllers in the past for his needs ATM he is managing to use my unmodified controller but it has been a long learning curve for him. If you need adaptions or a full piggy back controller.

Pm me anytime

The Veyron one took me ages. You really have to adjust your driving style to suit the car. As others have said brake early, turn in early and concentrate on hitting the apexes. Then get the power on and the car will grip superbly on the exits. TCS will slow you down a lot off the line and on the corner exits and the car is so well-behaved under acceleration you shouldn't need it.

Hi Smitty. I've been trying to access this thread for a long time but kept getting a forum upgrade message on it.

I'm a fellow disabled driver myself, limited mobility in my right leg and severe pain in both legs due to a motorcycle accident years ago. I race the same as you, automatic transmission and use a controller on days I dont want to use my wheel. I do have a g27 wheel where I have mapped the accelerator and brakes to the paddles on the wheel, also have assigned the gear up and down to buttons on the wheel but have yet to master that, a lot of things to do with just two hands (steer, accelerate, brake, shift up, down). I only mention the wheel just to let you know you could get a wheel if you wanted, I do find it has improved my driving a lot, more smooth on the steering and has helped me improve times a lot.

s4 test- TCS 0, SRF ON, ABS 1.

the curve after the long straight (turn 5 maybe) I found you dont have to brake as much as you may think, just a little, then get back on the throttle, same with the next turn, maybe just a little more brake and the same with the next curve. The one that kept getting me was the very last curve before the final straight, I was braking way too much and loosing too much time.

s5--the dreaded Bugatti- I think I used TCS 0, SRF ON, and abs at 2 or even 3.

For me what worked was hitting that 1'st little chicane just right, then keeping to the right, brake, then drop the car into the left turn and get on the throttle. Then if i could hit the next left just right and come out fast I would see my ghost arrow behind me, then I just kept pushing. I saw a post on here some time ago saying to "throw" the car into the corners a lot, to really push the limits of the car so to speak, i found i would be coming out of the corners sliding but still kept fast. This one took me a lot of tries, lots of disqualifications but I just kept at it, pushing the car as hard as I could and some colorful language lol

I find the traction control, active steering, stability management just slow me down too much or feels weird. I'm usually always TCS OFF, ABS I may play with a bit from 1-3.

To summarize both these for me I found I just pushed the car more than you think you can, "throw" it into the corners and come out as fast as you can. Just keep at it, it gets frustrating and tedious but it can be done.

I am a 70 year old disabled driver. As such I can only drive in GT6 using a hand held controller. and automatic gear changing. Even so I am thoroughly enjoying the experience.
However I am becoming extremely frustrated by 2 races. Super licence tests 4 and 5. The only things I can change are the driving options, but whatever combination of these I try I can only get within 1 second of the bronze time limit. Can anyone please advise me which driving options I should be using to shave off that annoying second. Thanks in anticipation of your help.

Last edited:

The two video links provided are a great help, Watch all the way thru has it shows a different car veiw from behind, Study the breaking points and watch the car for when it breaks which might help yourself, and just try to be clean?

1st video 1.30 secs different veiw?
2nd video 2.15 secs different veiw?
Times are approximate. :D

First of all, Big respect to you and any disabled driver for not letting anything hold them back from the driving nirvana thats Gran Turismo. Lucky for me I'm an able driver but I am coming back from a broken fibula (left leg, just above my ankle, lots of pain and swelling) which I did by falling off my mountain bike riding downhill. Broke Dec 20th. Pot taken off in early March. The first thing I did when I got home was play GT6 with my wheel. I couldn't operate the brake pedal without going through alot of pain, and I couldn't fully brake as I couldn't bend my ankle fully to push down on the pedal. Still cant drive at my fullest but such is life.

Sorry I've not helped with your driving. I just wanted to say hats off to the OP and anybody with a disability who drives. ;).

Hi Smitty. I've been trying to access this thread for a long time but kept getting a forum upgrade message on it.

I'm a fellow disabled driver myself, limited mobility in my right leg and severe pain in both legs due to a motorcycle accident years ago. I race the same as you, automatic transmission and use a controller on days I dont want to use my wheel. I do have a g27 wheel where I have mapped the accelerator and brakes to the paddles on the wheel, also have assigned the gear up and down to buttons on the wheel but have yet to master that, a lot of things to do with just two hands (steer, accelerate, brake, shift up, down). I only mention the wheel just to let you know you could get a wheel if you wanted, I do find it has improved my driving a lot, more smooth on the steering and has helped me improve times a lot.

s4 test- TCS 0, SRF ON, ABS 1.

the curve after the long straight (turn 5 maybe) I found you dont have to brake as much as you may think, just a little, then get back on the throttle, same with the next turn, maybe just a little more brake and the same with the next curve. The one that kept getting me was the very last curve before the final straight, I was braking way too much and loosing too much time.

s5--the dreaded Bugatti- I think I used TCS 0, SRF ON, and abs at 2 or even 3.

For me what worked was hitting that 1'st little chicane just right, then keeping to the right, brake, then drop the car into the left turn and get on the throttle. Then if i could hit the next left just right and come out fast I would see my ghost arrow behind me, then I just kept pushing. I saw a post on here some time ago saying to "throw" the car into the corners a lot, to really push the limits of the car so to speak, i found i would be coming out of the corners sliding but still kept fast. This one took me a lot of tries, lots of disqualifications but I just kept at it, pushing the car as hard as I could and some colorful language lol

I find the traction control, active steering, stability management just slow me down too much or feels weird. I'm usually always TCS OFF, ABS I may play with a bit from 1-3.

To summarize both these for me I found I just pushed the car more than you think you can, "throw" it into the corners and come out as fast as you can. Just keep at it, it gets frustrating and tedious but it can be done.

Thank you to all those who offered advise , tips, and even videos. I have finally passed my Super licence, although only by less than half a second.
My next question is why did I bother putting so much time and effort into it. the super section races do nothing for me at all.

Back