• 8 comments

VBR

Meme Dissident in Exile...
Premium
England
Yorkshire
ScapeGoat4U
WhippingBoy
I've noticed that many images disappear, & are replaced by an icon with a red cross in it. Is this just something that's happeneing on my end, or is it something to do with GTP, or is the original place the images are hosted playing up?

For instance, the first 3 images in this threads OP are missing: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/project-cars-memes-thread-no-profanity.325346/

Does an Admin or a mod know why?

:confused:

You are referring to images embedded within forum posts that show this icon, correct?

no-image-exists-here.jpg

This can happen for a variety of reasons because we use an image proxy to re-host all embedded pictures. If the image doesn't load, it's because either the source image server was unavailable or the image was too large to be embedded here (>10MB).

You are referring to images embedded within forum posts that show this icon, correct?

no-image-exists-here.jpg

This can happen for a variety of reasons because we use an image proxy to re-host all embedded pictures. If the image doesn't load, it's because either the source image server was unavailable or the image was too large to be embedded here (>10MB).

Yeah, that's what they look like. They were visible initially, but many start disappearing over time. It's very annoying when I've been putting the effort into making funny picturtes only to have half of them vanish into thin air.

Yeah, images are cached on GTPlanet's server for 60 days. After that, the server will download them again, but if they can't be retrieved because the original file's URL has changed or the host server is down, the broken image icon is displayed.

The only way to ensure an image is permanently displayed is to upload it directly as an attachment to your post.

If you can provide a link to the broken images in question I can investigate the cause further for you.

If you can provide a link to the broken images in question I can investigate the cause further for you.

I can't retrive images as the url's are not available from clicking on the icons. They were images created on Imgflip, & I didn't make them on my account with them. I guess they're just lost in the digital ether somewhere. Live & learn, next time I'll make them while signed into my Imgflip account.

:cheers:

Last edited:
Sorry, I was actually asking for a link to the post here on GTPlanet which had the broken image links. I may still be able to track down the images.

OK, thanks. There are indeed a lot of broken images in there. A preliminary check shows that all of them appear to be from the same host, Imgflip, which has either broken or removed the original images, so there's no way for our server (or anyone) to retrieve them unless Imgflip restores the images.

You can see what the error look like if you try to access the images' original URLs for yourself. Here's one you posted:

https://i.imgflip.com/r4we2.jpg

Good to know for future reference. I think I'll download newly made images & upload them to postmage before posting them on here.

Thanks for looking into it.

:cheers:

Back