Disappointed Sim-Racer Starting To Have Fun In GT Sport

  • Thread starter Thread starter VBR
  • 4 comments
  • 1,971 views

VBR

Tatakae!
Premium
Messages
7,945
England
London
I consider myself a sim-racer, & my main focus in driving sims is racing online then watching the replays afterwards. I liked hosting my own public lobbies in GT5/6 with penalties, ghosting, fantasy driving aids, & anything else that defied reality turned off (as such, Sport Mode in GTS holds no interest for me). Much of the time I had great experiences, & have 407 replays of online races in GT5 alone, most of which were clean. As a wheel user, FFB is really important to me, & it was pretty damn good in GT6 on my Logitech G25 (in fact, when I bought Assetto Corsa I was surprised at how similar it felt on the Nord with the Xbow). Imho, GT5 was the pinnacle of online racing in GT games, & GT6 was the best the FFB/physics had felt in the series to date.

When I tried the beta of GT Sport, & then the demo; I was bitterly disappointed. The physics had taken a huge step back from GT6, & the FFB felt awful. I decided not to buy it at launch, & still don't regret that decision. When I saw it on sale for £15.99 last month, I decided to buy it; if only for the opportunity to see the Nord with my own eyes in all it's current gen PD glory :drool:! When I tried it though, I still didn't like it. The physics & FFB were still awful compared to GT6, & I got bored of the game very quickly.

However, all that has started to change recently, & here's the reason why; because the FFB felt so terrible with a wheel, from a sim racing point of view, I naturally began playing it with the controller. I started taking the game less seriously, not thinking of it as a sim at all, & treating it more like a daft but fun simcade/arcade style game like Driveclub. And you know what? I'm starting to have some fun with it!

GT Sport isn't a serious game, & taking it too seriously is what was ruining it for me (along with expecting it to be as good if not better than GT6 in the FFB/physics department). My advice to anyone who's a serious hardcore sim racer unimpressed with GT Sport is this; put away your wheel & try it with the DS4. Turn on automatic gears, & whatever driving aids you want, heck, even slap some super sticky tyres on it if you need to (the tyre model is laughable after all), & just have some fun!


👍



EDIT: If I want a serious sim racing fix nowadays, all I need to do is fire up P CARS or AC & do a few hot laps
 
Last edited:
VBR
I consider myself a sim-racer, & my main focus in driving sims is racing online then watching the replays afterwards. I liked hosting my own public lobbies in GT5/6 with penalties, ghosting, fantasy driving aids, & anything else that defied reality turned off (as such, Sport Mode in GTS holds no interest for me). Much of the time I had great experiences, & have 407 replays of online races in GT5 alone, most of which were clean. As a wheel user, FFB is really important to me, & it was pretty damn good in GT6 on my Logitech G25 (in fact, when I bought Assetto Corsa I was surprised at how similar it felt on the Nord with the Xbow). Imho, GT5 was the pinnacle of online racing in GT games, & GT6 was the best the FFB/physics had felt in the GT series to date.

When I tried the beta of GT Sport, & then the demo; I was bitterly disappointed. The physics had taken a huge step back from GT6, & the FFB felt awful. I decided not to buy it at launch, & still don't regret that decision. When I saw it on sale for £15.99 last month, I decided to buy it; if only for the opportunity to see the Nord with my own eyes in all it's current gen PD glory :drool:! When I tried it though, I still didn't like it. The physics & FFB were still awful compared to GT6, & I got bored of the game very quickly.

However, all that has started to change recently, & here's the reason why; because the FFB felt terrible with a wheel, from a sim racing point of view, I naturally started playing it with the controller. I started taking the game less seriously, not thinking of it as a sim at all, & treating it more like a daft but fun simcade/arcade style game like Driveclub. And you know what? I'm starting to have some fun with it!

GT Sport isn't a serious game, & taking it too seriously is what was ruining it for me (along with expecting it to be as good if not better than GT6 in the FFB/physics department). My advice to anyone who's a serious hardcore sim racer unimpressed with GT Sport is this; put away your wheel & try it with the DS4. Turn on automatic gears, & whatever driving aids you want, heck, even slap some super sticky tyres on it if you need to (the tyre model is laughable after all), & just have some fun!


👍



EDIT: I want a serious sim racing fix nowadays, all I need to do is fire up P CARS or AC & do a few hot laps
Welcome back 👍
 
Love your reborn enthusiasm. Dont understand your controller advice. You can take the game less seriously with a wheel as well.

VBR
I started taking the game less seriously, not thinking of it as a sim at all, & treating it more like a daft but fun simcade/arcade style game like Driveclub. And you know what? I'm starting to have some fun with it!
 
Love your reborn enthusiasm. Dont understand your controller advice. You can take the game less seriously with a wheel as well.
VBR
...because the FFB felt terrible with a wheel, from a sim racing point of view...


I'm not the only sim racer who's disappointed with the physics, tyre model, & FFB. Some people who are less discerning, &/or less fussy, when it comes to these things might be able to enjoy the game with a wheel, but I most certainly can't. I'm waiting for the updated tyre model PD mentioned, then I'll give it another try. Hopefully they will also improve the FFB over time, just like they did with GT6.
 
Back