Disappointed with the PS4 to PS5 Situation

• Thread starter beezball
  • 22 comments
United States
Kathleen, Georgia
micahsbeard
micahs beard
I just got a physical ps4 copy at Walmart and installed it on my ps4, then went to my ps5 to unlock the digital version and pay the ten bucks. I'm disappointed to be locked out of that option for two days. I'm also super disappointed to hear that to even play the PS5 digital (upgrade path) version I have to have the PS4 disc in the machine.

Thats going to be super obnoxious.

Using the PS4 disc to verifying your license is standard procedure for PS5 upgrades. Also locking your PS5 version until release makes perfect sense since it's the digital version anyway.

You should've just gotten the digital version if using the CD bothers you.

Last edited:
Using the PS4 disc to verifying your license is standard procedure for PS5 upgrades. Also locking your PS5 version until release makes perfect sense since it's the digital version anyway.

You should've just gotten the digital version if using the CD bothers you.
Well I have a ps4 on the floor above and my two sons likes to play GT. I was thinking we could play at the same time, or at least not have to worry about shuffling discs. What's the point in a digital version then? Oh well. I might be forced to double dip later for the regular ps5 digital version so he can play at the same time as me.

I was expecting 50/50 on being able to do the upgrade tonight vs launch day. I'm more just wanting to give people a heads up who didn't realize like I did.

Last edited:
Well I have a ps4 on the floor above and my two sons likes to play GT. I was thinking we could play at the same time, or at least not have to worry about shuffling discs. What's the point in a digital version then? Oh well. I might be forced to double dip later for the regular ps5 digital version so he can play at the same time as me.

I was expecting 50/50 on being able to do the upgrade tonight vs launch day. I'm more just wanting to give people a heads up who didn't realize like I did.
If you actually bought the digital version you could actually play in both consoles at the same time through gamesharing. I did it with my brother with FIFA 22, he plays on PS4 and I play on PS5 at the same time.

Last edited:
If you actually bought the digital version you could actually play in both consoles at the same time through gamesharing. I did it with my brother with FIFA 22, he plays on PS4 and I play on PS5 at the same time.
The PS5 digital version is back compact with ps4? I do love my GT games and have all of them collected physically. So I was thinking this would kill three birds with one stone. Give me a copy for the kids on PS4 and a physical version as a collector, and give me a ps5 digital version for myself. Guess it was too good to be true to play out that way.

Last edited:
You would need to buy the version that gives you the PS4 and the PS5 version.
If I could return this copy I might just do that. I don't think I can though. Walmart only does exchanges.

If I could return this copy I might just do that. I don't think I can though. Walmart only does exchanges.
I think the regular PS5 version also gives you the PS4 version according to the PS store so that would be a good idea for you to do that. I personally do that myself with FIFA.

However it takes some setting up with your PSN accounts to for it to work but nothing major.

You would need to buy the version that gives you the PS4 and the PS5 version.

What's crazy is I did that, got the 25th anniversary edition. Used the code for the PS4 version on my son's ps4 and he got 1.1 million credits and like 30 cars.
I got the 3 cars and nothing else on my PS5 version with the disc and dl code. Didn't even give me the 100k, kinda annoying!

What's crazy is I did that, got the 25th anniversary edition. Used the code for the PS4 version on my son's ps4 and he got 1.1 million credits and like 30 cars.
I got the 3 cars and nothing else on my PS5 version with the disc and dl code. Didn't even give me the 100k, kinda annoying!
Pre-order bonuses and stuff like that only works on one account, usually the first account you activate the game on.

How does the opposite situation works? I pre-ordered the PS5 disc 25th anniversary version with a Digital PS4 version. I don't have a PS5 yet and was planning to maybe start in PS4 and maybe migrate to PS5 when I get it. Do I keep what I have on PS4 when I eventually switch?

How does the opposite situation works? I pre-ordered the PS5 disc 25th anniversary version with a Digital PS4 version. I don't have a PS5 yet and was planning to maybe start in PS4 and maybe migrate to PS5 when I get it. Do I keep what I have on PS4 when I eventually switch?
Yes because progress in Gran Turismo 7 is going to be saved online just like Sport.

Pre-order bonuses and stuff like that only works on one account, usually the first account you activate the game on.
Ahhh, makes sense, I just thought the codes I got had the same things just for once on a PS4 and once on a ps5. My 8yr old son thinks it's hilarious he's got more credits and cars lol
Thank you, appreciate your response.

Ahhh, makes sense, I just thought the codes I got had the same things just for once on a PS4 and once on a ps5. My 8yr old son thinks it's hilarious he's got more credits and cars lol
Thank you, appreciate your response.
Are you and your son playing on different accounts by chance?

Yea he has his own ps account and everything so we can play co-op together. So I used the code for the PS4 download on his ps account, PS5 is on mine.
Too late now but if you used it on your account you'd get the credits but oh well, let him have some fun 😄

It quite clearly explains using the PS4 disc for the PS5 version on pretty much every piece of literature relating to the purchases. And has already been said, this is normal practice for the PS4 to PS5 upgrades with a disc. I have to have the PS4 disc for WRC9 in my PS5 to play the digital PS5 version - otherwise you're essentially buying 2 games for the price of one...

Two sons including you makes three then. You can buy one digital and one disc. No need to get buy 3x licenses.

I just got a physical ps4 copy at Walmart and installed it on my ps4, then went to my ps5 to unlock the digital version and pay the ten bucks. I'm disappointed to be locked out of that option for two days. I'm also super disappointed to hear that to even play the PS5 digital (upgrade path) version I have to have the PS4 disc in the machine.

Thats going to be super obnoxious.
How else would SONY prevent people from buying a copy and then selling it, while still being able to play the game?

Last edited:
The PS5 digital version is back compact with ps4? I do love my GT games and have all of them collected physically. So I was thinking this would kill three birds with one stone. Give me a copy for the kids on PS4 and a physical version as a collector, and give me a ps5 digital version for myself. Guess it was too good to be true to play out that way.
So, you own a PS5, yet you bought a physical PS4 version of the game before doing any research whatsoever, and then you complain that something no one ever said was possible, was in fact not?

Sorry, but this is all on you.

Last edited:
So, you own a PS5, yet you bought a physical PS4 version of the game before doing any research whatsoever, and then you complain that something no one ever said was possible, was in fact not?

Sorry, but this is all on you.
Any research is a strong statement. I looked up that there was a ps5 digital version available for purchase that was just ten dollars. I missed the detail of having to shuffle the discs around. I made this post mostly to help anyone from making the same mistake. I even read that you needed to put the disc in, but I thought that was just to make the initial purchase.

Last edited:
Back