Disappointing amount online opponents

  • Thread starter Thread starter gt5pr0
  • 13 comments
  • 1,292 views
Messages
85
Messages
GTP_gt5pr0
@admins:
Don't know if this is the proper section but if not feel free to move it.

I have a strange situation at home when racing online.
Me and a friend of mine have the same ISP and bandwidth (12:1 mbit)
, both wireless PS3 setup in NAT2 mode.

But every time when i go online, i'll have 12 places to be filled with opponents but only get 3 or 4, over and over again.

And that friend i mentioned is always getting a full racing field.

On the other hand he is getting regular loosing host error's (in race) and my situation gives unable to connect error's before race starts (getting less since a few weeks)

Does it have something to do with the fact that i'm mostly host?
If me and my friend start online race at the same time 9 out of 10 he joins MY hosted game.

Would it help to add QoS to my router so my bandwidth for the PS3 is cut in half and somebody else is playing for host?

Are there more members having a similar situation never getting a full racing field?
 
Last edited:
What's it like with a net cable instead of the wireless?
 
Its similar with mine, when I host which is rare, it shows 12 slots but only ever get a maximum of 8 joining.. Thats with wired 20Mb/768kb connection.

I also get frequent failed to connect to host messages when I try to join races, its usually 50/50 whether I will get into any given race.
 
Have you tried port forwarding? The last update gave another port no. What router manufacture do you have?
 
Its similar with mine, when I host which is rare, it shows 12 slots but only ever get a maximum of 8 joining.. Thats with wired 20Mb/768kb connection.

I also get frequent failed to connect to host messages when I try to join races, its usually 50/50 whether I will get into any given race.

I've got a 768 up also and when the rooms are busy, I do not host. When things are quiet, I do host, but it's usually no more than 6 or so. When we were playing the Japanese version I had a room of 12 and POOOF one by one, the room was dumping. I'm ok with not being able to host.

I have a friend that has a very fast connection and when he hosts (often) the room dumps. The only way he can host at times is if he has a couple of YouTube videos running. He's called Sony and his provider and nobody has an explanation. It sucks, because people that are not running TS or whatever comm. software are probably thinking that the host is dumping intentionally.
 
What's it like with a net cable instead of the wireless?

Good point 👍
and i may add that you should not run any other device on your internets when playing online with a PS3.
It's a Sony, you know ;)
 
wired isn't an option to start with.

Router is a Sitecom wl173 and connection on PS3 is 85/90%

Treid port forwarding old and new ports, DMZ, combination's of it but all failed in getting NAT2 and now i ended up with upnp which i'm not an fan off but it works.

Ow and all devices are turned off only thing using internet is PS3
 
Last edited:
wired isn't an option to start with.

Ow and all devices are turned off only thing using internet is PS3

You should try with a cable to see if it gets any better, then you know for sure 👍
80,90% on PS3 means nothing, only numbers lol ;)
Whats disappointing btw, i don't get that exactly sorry, should meant disappearing ??
:cheers:
 
We've got 2 PS3's, both wireless; PS3 1 is a foot away from the gateway, PS3 2 is upstairs. We also have 2 PC's running for TS; PC2 is upstairs running on a wireless adapter.

The only problems we ever encounter involving bandwidth is when both PS3s are downloading content from the PSN Store and both PC's are online (1 usually parked on YouTube), 1 PC is always using bandwidth 24/7. When our bandwidth is pushed, pages take a long time to load and usually can't.

I have no idea how much bandwidth a PS3 uses when downloading.
 
What about changing the channel on the router then setup your connection again?
 
changing channel is something i can do. Some replies back a member has same problem and is wired so putting it on cable doesn't change it i think same as for channel but can trie. It needs to be something else. PS3 Version maybe?
That friend regular takes his PS3 to his friend (also wireless) and he still gets full rooms (12) thats disappointting because i only get 6 max mostly
 
It’s not an wired or wireless issue also not an security one.
But more something with the PS3 (motherboard/chipset*) or something on the server side (GT –server’s, algorithm maybe?)
*My friend has an older version GT5 pack (older) and I have a MGS4 pack (newer), noticeable difference on the back of both PS3’s

I did some speed tests with both wired and wireless (PC and PS3) and they gave the same results. (+/- 12 : 1,5 mbit)

For example, when I go online I’m always host. When I ask my friend to join and we both hit race at the same time I’m still the host.

This makes me think my friend has bad routing or something like that, I say this because we have both the same ISP and speeds.

When my friend goes online it’s 50/50 that he is host, what I remember is that when he isn’t host he always has full racing field.

When my friend goes to his other friend of him and connects his PS3 he still isn’t host, that’s logic because that guy has 1/3 of what I have. (4000 : 750 kbit) and I think GT-servers look at bandwidth\routing\ping times to select host from?

So knowing that I think it’s more being a host problem in combination with GT-servers

Another strange thing I noticed is that when I switch car the first time I do have full field 10/12 off racers (strange and no explanation for it)

Bandwidth problem isn’t acceptable for me because I have plenty of it and my sessions “almost” never crash (what happens a lot at my friends place during race) what I do have is server connection error before race is started so now i'm thinking it's again a problem on GT-server side.

So shoot me but I’m a bit lost here and totally have no clue on how to solve it.

Did a complete clean wireless\router setup and problems still there, tried several channels (some vague rule is that channels 1 6 and 11 are best for wireless. Distance to AP isn’t a problem also because signal power is 85 / 90 % sometimes higher (only 3 meter distance from PS3 to AP) no metal or walls between them.

One thing i'm going to try is to add QoS (Qaulity of Service) to my router, this makes it possible to asign bandwitdh to devices/services. If my bandwitdh is low i'm unable to be host and need to join someone else his session (if my theory is correct)
 
OK pretty sure whats the problem here, nothing to do with your PS3 or ISP, etc. ;)
its just the way GT5P works, PD tweaking a lot with the servers. so the best thing you do is leave your internet as it is, tgan you'll eventually get it started with more opponents 👍 try it!
 
OK pretty sure whats the problem here, nothing to do with your PS3 or ISP, etc. ;)
its just the way GT5P works, PD tweaking a lot with the servers. so the best thing you do is leave your internet as it is, tgan you'll eventually get it started with more opponents 👍 try it!

Do nothing, good advice 👍

@gt5pr0 It is very unlikely that your ps3 or GT5:P matchmaking servers are the problem, otherwise we would see a lot more whining here.

So that leaves only a few more possibilities, your router, your modem or your ISP, so my advice would be; take your router out of the loop and connect your ps3 straight to your broadband modem. If you cant do that you should take a good look at your router settings because that is probably where the problems lies.
 
Back