Display resolution?

• Thread starter GT
  • 16 comments

GT

Hello everyone, you may not remember me but I visited these forums avidly 7 or 8 years ago...and now it seems I have a perplexing question.

It has to do with the resolution setting of an HD-ready TV. in my case, my Samsung has a max resolution of 1080i (this obviously includes 720p). I have always heard that if you dont't have 1080P go with 720P because its better for moving frames than 1080i.

However, when I change my resolution to 1080i things look slighly better and sharper and I fail to notice and disturbances in the screen such as slowdown or whatnot. So I was wondering what to do about it...should I change it back to 720P or just let it stay on 1080i? if so would this affect GT HD in any way?

I was also wondering if 1080P owners have jagged edges concerning the self-shadowing of the cars when you are driving; for instance the shadow of the rear wing on the back of the car?

Hold on.... theres two? Oh man.... So confusing. :ill:

I would go with 720p, because 1080i is upscaling for your TV.... not good for graphics.

hmmm, but the thing is GT HD does support 1080i...or so it seems. When you go to the option screen in the game, you can alter and see what resolution you are playing, and it's there that i saw an option fo 1080i...so that's what got me thinking that perhaps GT HD also supports 1080i as well as 720P and 1080P...so I really don't know what to do anymore, help in the form of a clear cut, proven answer would be very helpfull indeed:)

as for the difference; i noticed that sme lines, such as the bumper and the rear of the car are smoother, maybe it's my imagination. However, there was no deteriorating of the graphics in any way nor the framerate for that matter.

well if you notice a better difference in one or another resolution, pick the one that is better. I dont see how it could effect the game in any way other than your visual perception.

Yep, just pick the resolution thats native to your set. My TV's native is 1080i, so thats what I go with. And yes, GTHD supports ALL high def resolutions.

thanks guys for the informative information. well, with games such as gears or war the best option always was to use 720P because an interlaced resolution would damage the framerate and there would be "ghost" images.

perhaps a stupid question...but how do I figure out my native resolution? should I look in the manual?

GT
perhaps a stupid question...but how do I figure out my native resolution? should I look in the manual?
That'd help, or look up your exact model specs on the net. If you have a hd-ready LCD screen, I suppose it is 1366x768, but I might be wrong. That'd mean you can not set the game to the native resolution of your screen, so theoretically, 720p would just be as fine as 1080i. Anyway, I agree that the best resolution is the one that looks best to you.

Regards
the Interceptor

That'd help, or look up your exact model specs on the net. If you have a hd-ready LCD screen, I suppose it is 1366x768, but I might be wrong. That'd mean you can not set the game to the native resolution of your screen, so theoretically, 720p would just be as fine as 1080i

I just checked, and you're right, my native display is 720P as i suspected. Well, it's HD so it can't be that bad...I am wondering though how 1080P would look. is it really an enormous difference in detail? will one see things that cannot be displayed at 720P or 1080i for that matter? Is the quality of the picture really that much better than 720P??

I have wondered about the exact same question myself for a while now.

Me and my brother both share two Samsung TVs (one is this.), both 1368x768 resolution each, and have noticed sharper images with the TVs set to 1080i, not 720p. I personally cannot find a difference from the better frames on the progressive 720, but I'm probably not looking hard enough, as I'm concentrating too much on what I'm playing/watching!

The difference from 720p to 1080p depends on a couple of factors, as mentioned by Digital-Nitrate here.

It depends on screensize, how close you sit to the screen, etc.

set your main display option to 1080p I think that is the best picture quality...are you using hdmi?
Not all displays support 1080p. You have to pay a hefty price (to some people) to do so, and with a screen resolution of 1920x1080. His TV sounds like it's a display like mine. All you would see if you set it to 1080p is a completely messed up image or no image at all.

given a choice between 1080i and 720p, go for the latter. although some people might not be able to see a difference between the 2. progressive should display better for fast moving images.

1080p imho is still to expensive (in my country I will have to pay 2.5x the amount for the same inch HDTV just for 1080p), not to mention that some people are unable to tell the difference as well :nervous:

Yeah, my screen supports 720P and 1080i. Its an HD-ready set, alas it's not Full HD. I still don't really know what's best for GT-HD, 720P or 1080i. I am connected through HDMI, thank god. Although I have never connected the PS3 otherwise, but HDMI is the best possible way to connect it anyway.

So what are you guys saying, that the difference between 720P and 1080P isn't that big? I was always under the impression that it is a huge difference in quality...I must admit that I've never seen GT-HD run on 1080P in front of me, but I thought that perhaps it would get rid of the jagged edges one can see in GT-HD. for example the line that seperates the rearbumper from the rear on a white skyline; or the shadow of the rear wing that is cast upon the rear of the vehicle. If you pay close attention, you'll know what I mean. So I was wondering, does 1080P get rid of those little things, or am I just thinking way too much of this 1080P resolution? I mean, is it just GT-HD--as in the game itself--that has those "faults", or is it the screen resolution one is useing?

Ive not set GTHD to 720p as its running at 1080p, as far as I can tell all the games that run at 720p are not as crisp as 1080p. Personally if out TV was only 720p I would be more than happy, but seeing as im spoilt for chaoice Im going to go for the higher resolution every time, the PS3 should set the best resolution for your TV if its plugged into it via an HDMI cable. I will take some shots and post them here so you can see what the difference is. Should have them up by later today.

BTW 1080p makes a big difference the bigger your screen, hence not many 32" Tv's have 1080p, its just not worth it. 42" 46" and up the difference is noticable.

Edit: Not had chance to take any photos the otehr day, but I may give it a go in five minutes.

I find that theres a big difference between 1080i and p in gthd on our 60". The aliasing/flickering is more noticable on 1080i.
Same aplies to 720p and 1080i on my smaller 26" At native it looks smoother but its a matter of whether to take a little flicker and get the extra clarity.

I said I would upload some images of what GTHD looks like on the Sony at 1080p, unfortunately I wasn't able to mess around trying to get it down to 720p to take some shots. Plus I've put up some more images from trailers and dvd's and a BD for you to see what they are like.

GTHD 1080p (Native)

Apocalypto DVD 1080p (Up-scaled)

Shrek 3 1080p (Native converted from a QT Movie trailer)

XMB - Tekken 1080p (Native)

Open Season BD 1080p (Native)

No sharpening or any other type of editing other than cropping and shrinking for file size sake has been done, these were taken with the camera (400D) on RAW and then converted to JPG when cropping. Please click the images for larger size.

there is a difference in 1080p and 720p, but like the guy above said, you have to have a bigger screen to actually notice it. even at like 46", you have to be no further back then like 6-7 feet in order to notice a difference. 1080p isn't really worth the premium under 50" or so, and above that, its pretty darn expensive.

Latest Posts

Back