• Thread starter 194GVan
  • 9 comments

194GVan

Premium
United States
Gainesville VA
retrohoon
ratr0
Man its been years since I have logged into gtplanet, I am surprised my account is still active. Anyways I was lurking around in this forum this morning and thought I would share my recent cockpit build that I am pretty proud of. You'll see a Microsoft Wheel used in all these pics, but I assure you the Driving Force Pro wheel fits just as well. I just picked up another one of those a few weeks ago. Excuse me if the thread seems jumbled up, or seems to repeat info, I am sort of copy-pasting from my build thread on the GRM forums.

So it was time to build a new cockpit setup. I dont know what my wife had against this one!
imag0001vj.jpg

While this trusty, brutally simple simple setup had served me well for years, its time to build one that doesnt look so much like crap. This one was really only intended to be temporary at first, but it has since moved with me to 3 different houses before ending up in the house we actually purchased last fall. The stand is cheap but sturdy. The conversion van seat is from a previously owned vehicle, and weighs about 5 tons. Aside from possibly re-using some of the wood, it was all going in the trash.

It had to be easy to move (wife would prefer I roll it right into the closet when not in use), so I incorporated some casters on the bottom so it will roll around, and also have the casters hidden, an extra bucket seat from my 1998 MPV will be attached to the stand, with functioning slider mechanism.

So, Here are some pics of how I constructed the base. I used 2x3's and 1/2" MDF board for construction. Overall size is 20" wide and 46" long.

Heres some pics of the seat platform. The long cutouts are for clearance of the slider mechanism as you can see.
imag0079ow.jpg

imag0080x.jpg
imag0074q.jpg

I was planning on building in some cupholders on top of the platform for the steering wheel. But then as I was looking at the seat I remembered it already had them built in :) For those curious, this is a captains chair from a 1998 Mazda Mpv, center row, passenger side. Its pretty light weight, way lighter than a 1st gen miata seat for instance.
imag0076hif.jpg
imag0077w.jpg

So, it seems I am completely overbuilding this, and its starting to get a little heavy, here is how I added the casters.
imag0084vr.jpg

imag0082h.jpg

Here is the approximate ground clearance. Bitch is low.
imag0081sl.jpg

imag0087n.jpg

I havent really worked with MDF all that much before, but even at 1/2" its very sturdy. I probably have an extra 2x3 here or there throughout the build that isnt really necessary. The platform for the wheel is rock solid and does not wiggle at all, even with the asymmetrical support. I built it this way to make it easy to climb in and out of the seat, and it works great.

imag0119fv.jpg

imag0120g.jpg

imag0121m.jpg

imag0122cv.jpg

imag0123ha.jpg

The top where the wheel clamps on is tilted a little towards the "driver" so the wheel axis isnt pointing up at your face so much. Does not roll around when I am sitting in it and racing, if anything, the casters seem to get flat spotted when sitting in one place for a while. But rolls wherever I want it to when it needs to be out of sight or out of the way.

Price breakdown:
(3) 2'x4' sheets of 1/2" MDF - $26
(2) 2"x3"x8' studs - $4
(4) 2-1/2" industrial casters - $24
Hardware to mount casters - $13
Screws to assemble - $0 (already had)
Seat - $0 (already had)

Around $70 after tax I suppose. Its possible I could have only used 2 sheets of MDF if I had simplified things a little but I am very happy with the end result. Only thing I might do is take off the casters and add another set of washers all around to give it a little more ground clearance.

She is surprised.....at how big of a racing geek I am. For the past few years I usually have enough work to do around the house or something else going on that I often go weeks/months without playing, but sometimes I need my fix and will happily just spend an entire day drinking beer and playing games. Usually when she's away for the weekend haha. I also play less these days since we dont have high speed internet... :/

I initially had plans to make it look nicer, to be able to just hide it behind the couch or something. But then she requested that it be in the closet when not being used. So I havent had the motivation/inspiration yet.

She is surprised.....at how big of a racing geek I am. For the past few years I usually have enough work to do around the house or something else going on that I often go weeks/months without playing, but sometimes I need my fix and will happily just spend an entire day drinking beer and playing games. Usually when she's away for the weekend haha. I also play less these days since we dont have high speed internet... :/

I initially had plans to make it look nicer, to be able to just hide it behind the couch or something. But then she requested that it be in the closet when not being used. So I havent had the motivation/inspiration yet.

Did you consider replacing that wheel or you are happy with it?

Good job mate, not bad for a hand made wooden cockpit.

MS Wheel, its the best cheap option for Xbox. I have had it since Forza 2. I like it enough. Better than a controller and I have a good feel for it having used it for so long.

I had a used DFP a few years ago, liked it enough to get another one cheap recently. I dont have PS3/GT5 yet, so look forward to firing up GT3/4 and other PS2 games again soon, and maybe some PC games once I get a new graphics card with HDMI out.

I expect some day I will make the jump to a PS3/GT5, and also a nicer wheel like a G25/27, or a Fanatec. Not too pressed on it for now though.

Welcome back to :gtplanet: . I like this cockpit build but I really want that cupholder on my rig :( .

Back