DLC for F1:CE

• Thread starter Biggles
  • 22 comments
Simcoeace
Is there any possibility of this at all? I know, I know - licensing!

I think the most interesting, simple DLC would be to allow us to race the "vintage" cars - it would add a completely different dimension the the game with a minimum of effort on the part of the studio. Would this violate licensing agreements?

Its extremely unlikely because Studio Liverpool have moved on now to focusing on the Wipeout series.
Plus the fact:
1. F1:CE is not exactly new anymore, and as such doesn't really have much potential for DLC sales.
2. As you said, licensing issues, the cars are not controlled by the FIA, but Sony would still need to go out and secure the licenses from the manufacturers/teams. This costs money, and with the above point combined means they simply won't do this.
3. I'm doubting whether the game even has capability for DLC in the first place, for all we know its impossible without them re-releasing the game after re-coding it. It could be that the game does have DLC functionality that was in a beta stage or something but was cut out of the game, but we shall never know.

It would be possible for SSL to license older F1 cars without the FIA unless they agreed to make the game with only certain cars. Its the same for Gran Turismo right now, even though Codemasters own the F1 license, Polyphony could still secure the license to use say the Ferrari F2009 from Ferrari and not even have to ask the FIA. The only thing Polyphony can't do is have a championship in the game called "Formula 1". But in this case, SSL already have the license for that.

As for what I'd like to see if we had gotten DLC:
More tracks, newer and updated seasons. "Classic" seasons - where you can play career or WC mode with older F1 seasons. More cars, new and old.

It would be brill if we could get the Williams FW18 and Renault RS01 in GT5...

We'll just have to wait nicely for Formula 1 2009 and pray that it will be at least as good as F1:CE but updated. If not, I'll just continue playing F1:CE and no big harm done.

The DLC sales would come from US: the dedicated F1CE users! I'm supposing that the amount of time & money required to take the existing "classic" cars in F1CE & enable actual racing would be minimal (but I really have no idea about that, being a complete tech simpleton :dunce: ).

I would be perfectly happy with the (fantastic) selection of existing tracks. Adding new F1 cars, in effect "updating" the game, doesn't really interest me as they would have essentially the same performance & feel as the existing cars. But the "classic" cars would bring a whole new dimension to the racing - hell, I would pay just for the SOUND of those classic beasts! 👍👍👍

Given that it's likely to be a long time until the next F1 game is completed (& who knows what it will be like), it would seem that there would be a small but dedicated base of F1CE players who would pay for the DLC (if it were technically possible).

Last edited:
The DLC sales would come from US: the dedicated F1CE users! I'm supposing that the amount of time & money required to take the existing "classic" cars in F1CE & enable actual racing would be minimal (but I really have no idea about that, being a complete tech simpleton :dunce: ).

I would be perfectly happy with the (fantastic) selection of existing tracks. Adding new F1 cars, in effect "updating" the game, doesn't really interest me as they would have essentially the same performance & feel as the existing cars. But the "classic" cars would bring a whole new dimension to the racing - hell, I would pay just for the SOUND of those classic beasts! 👍👍👍

Given that it's likely to be a long time until the next F1 game is completed (& who knows what it will be like), it would seem that there would be a small but dedicated base of F1CE players who would pay for the DLC (if it were technically possible).

I don't think it would be worth SSL's while. I also don't think enough people would buy the DLC to cover the costs. And like I said before, we don't even know if F1:CE has the capability to add in DLC.

Best you can hope for is Gran Turismo to focus a bit more on racing history or for Codemasters to actually step back 10 years and make a decent simulation game again.

It would be brill if we could get the Williams FW18 and Renault RS01 in GT5...

Indeed, it would be great to have many old racing cars/teams in GT, but unfortunately, Polyphony seem to only focus on manufacturers and that would only cover half the F1 teams. I'd love to have a new game with the ability to drive for the legendary teams like Williams, Jordan, Arrows, Tyrrel, Minardi, Ligier, Stewart, Lotus, etc. Maybe a developer should release an F1 game focusing entirely on old seasons (say, pre-2000?). I wonder how the licensing would be dealt with for that.

Last edited:
I'm sure that codemasters version will have downloadable content. But as far as F1CE goes its dead to SSL, I would be 99.9% sure that there will never be a future update. As for if it is technically possible, I think it is, a few months after it was released they updated it with a patch, something to do with pitstop command problems.

If any of you are worried about codemaster ruining the series head over to the codemaster forums and voice you concerns to the developers now, before they are too far on with it to go back and change physics or game play issues. I'm planning on registering tonight for them, hopefully. If enough people tell them what we want then they'll be forced to listen. Whatever the make it is going to be the biggest selling F1 game yet, because of the Lewis factor, and also because of the booming games market.

Best you can hope for is Gran Turismo to focus a bit more on racing history or for Codemasters to actually step back 10 years and make a decent simulation game again.

Well if this happens the same time hell will freeze. LOL
... I have a feeling its gonna be super arcade mode. :scared:

Does anyone know what the people who made ToCa 1 & 2 do now... I mean first they make such brillant games and then ToCa 3 ... and Grid !!? :ouch:

Well, that's my concern too. It's a shame SSL didn't get the rights to the next generation of F1 on the PS3 - I would have been confident that they could improve an already good game. There certainly were patches issued for F1CE - most obviously the long-waited-for FFB patch.

I agree that it's unlikely to happen, but new DLC, particularly enabling the existing classic cars, doesn't seem like it would be that hard or expensive to implement & surely they would sell a few thousand at least (I'd certainly pay $10 for it)?

I'd love to be able to race a season with the vintage bonus cars. I'm especially fond of the two Loti (49C & 72E). I didn't really like them with the DS controller, but with the DFP, they a lot of fun. The 72E is quite "darty" though. Its got more downforce, but the 49C is a little more forgiving, imo. They're both challenging to drive at the limit. They require quick reaction and smooth driving. After some practice, I can now drive smooth enough to be just a few seconds off the bronz time, at Monaco in the 49C. Just imagine how cool it would be, have a full grid of vintage F1 cars, in a race on the full Nurburgring. I'm looking forward to lapping with some of you guys when the full GT5 comes out. Nordschliefe & Le Mans enduros, will be freakin' sweet.

I know there have been some vintage PC games out there, but I don't think any of them have come close to the quality of F1CE or GT4 & 5P. It will be cool if PD are able to include vintage F1 cars in GT5. That and vintage LMP cars, like the Porsche 917K and Ferrari 512.

Codemasters have the license for F1, yes... but would Studio Liverpool still have all the rights from the manufacturers? If so, DLC please...with updated cars with new physics and all the updated rules...it would be a nice addition whilst we wait for F12009. As for a classic season, very nice, it would be amazing if we had some old tracks too.

But new teams, (like Force India) updated teams and new drivers would be basically taking the license away from Codemasters, so that is a big no.

Last edited:
Codemasters have the license for F1, yes... but would Studio Liverpool still have all the rights from the manufacturers? If so, DLC please...with updated cars with new physics and all the updated rules...it would be a nice addition whilst we wait for F12009. As for a classic season, very nice, it would be amazing if we had some old tracks too.

But new teams, (like Force India) updated teams and new drivers would be basically taking the license away from Codemasters, so that is a big no.

Teams are not connected to the FIA, so its up to the teams if they wanted to feature in a game other than the FIA-licensed game.

Basically, an FIA license allows you to call the game "Formula 1" thats it. It obviously does make it easier to gain licenses from teams, manufacturers and circuits but it does not cover them.
If Force India wanted to be in new DLC for F1:CE, they could be. The FIA has no say whether they can do that or not, just as long as they don't make any new championships called "Formula 1 2009" (Sony's license runs out this year).
Teams after 2009 could be included as well, its not up to the FIA.

Teams are not connected to the FIA, so its up to the teams if they wanted to feature in a game other than the FIA-licensed game.

Basically, an FIA license allows you to call the game "Formula 1" thats it. It obviously does make it easier to gain licenses from teams, manufacturers and circuits but it does not cover them.
If Force India wanted to be in new DLC for F1:CE, they could be. The FIA has no say whether they can do that or not, just as long as they don't make any new championships called "Formula 1 2009" (Sony's license runs out this year).
Teams after 2009 could be included as well, its not up to the FIA.

Yeah, but then would Force India want to be in the 2009 game or a game from the 2006 season? I meant that it would basically ruin it for Codemasters.

I'm not that concerned about an updated F1, which will eventually come along in one form or another. It just seems logical to me to take the assets of F1CE - the existing tracks & "classic" cars - & utilize them to create an additional game-play element: classic car races. I don't know how much that would cost to implement but I'm guessing, given the long time frame for the release of GT5, a lot of F1CE players (are there a lot?) would be prepared to pay for it.

Yeah, but then would Force India want to be in the 2009 game or a game from the 2006 season? I meant that it would basically ruin it for Codemasters.

Well, its up to the team, not the FIA or Codemasters. If Force India want to ruin it for Codemasters, so be it, lol. I don't think it would really matter to the teams, they get the money either way.

Well, its up to the team, not the FIA or Codemasters. If Force India want to ruin it for Codemasters, so be it, lol. I don't think it would really matter to the teams, they get the money either way.

I guess so...I think I've been really stupid saying that because I guess Force India could be in both of them...everyone would be happy.

Here's a question I must ask:

Who would they have to ask for the MP4/23, Mclaren or Mercedes? Likewise, would they have to ask BMW or Sauber for the F1.08?

Here's a question I must ask:

Who would they have to ask for the MP4/23, Mclaren or Mercedes? Likewise, would they have to ask BMW or Sauber for the F1.08?

McLaren and BMW. Mercedes is just an engine supplier and I'm actually not sure if Sauber do anything for BMW, I guess it was part of the deal when BMW took over the Sauber F1 team.

McLaren and BMW. Mercedes is just an engine supplier and I'm actually not sure if Sauber do anything for BMW, I guess it was part of the deal when BMW took over the Sauber F1 team.

Yup, thats correct. Although Sauber is the team, BMW are the controlling force behind them and would be the ones who sort out things like this.
Although Mercedes own McLaren, its still up to McLaren in that case because they are still a seperate entity in their own right.

Back