"DO A BARREL ROLL!!!" The 'Star Fox' thread

Antarctica
Controls set for heart of sun
GTP_RogerTheHors
Hey everyone, I just randomly got reminded by a boredom induced visit to 'TVTropes' about this series. My friends and I used to spend loads of time playing 'Lylat Wars' for N64 and later 'Star Fox Assault' for Gamecube. That was ages ago now though, back in those wonderful days when exams and qualifications were just an incoming missile that we had no reason to worry about yet, but now I want some nostalgia... :nervous:

Did anyone else enjoy this? Well did you Einstein?

Nooooooooooooo!!! Not Slippy! Run away from the squeaky voiced toad with the formerly uncertain sex. (Since revealed as male)

At least Slippy can read the bosses shield levels. Clever little...

I think I played an even older version of that game. On the Snes. Is that possible?

Yup.

star_fox_snes.jpg

Nostalgia.

Yaay my kind of thread!

@Dennisch
Yeah but on the SNES it's just called StarFox. There was also a StarFox 2 release on the SNES but from what I remember, they cancelled it.

I've played SF64 for almost 5 year straight back in those days. Yeah you can think of me of a Starfox addict with my icon as well. lol

I had (well have actually) it on SNES too, didn't play it a huge amount but I should have another go. I might be wrong but I can remember doing ok with it until I got onto the first "space" level where I think you were flying through some mothership or something rather than the first few levels which were over the surface of a planet? Could be wrong there though but I seem to remember it getting a lot harder and I didn't stick with it.

Hmm now where is my old SNES?

Stay away from TVTropes if you value your sanity.

And it's not a barrel roll, damnit!

True, I seem to remember the D-pad movement is more of a barrel roll, but the effect is to make the craft spin. Still, we all knew what the OP meant ;)

Stay away from TVTropes if you value your sanity.

And it's not a barrel roll, damnit!

It is a barrel roll in assault, even though they don't call it that... :confused:

I almost completed Assault all in one go last "night"*, but I got game over when I only needed to get two more hits against the Aparoid Queen. Stayed up 'till stupid for nothing.

*Maybe I mean last night and this morning

I only played the SNES one. Good game, difficultish. I was never able to beat that pesky slot machine!!!

SF64 and Assault were great in my opinion.

But the gameplay and controls in Assault was... bleh. Oh and no Bill Grey (grey fluffy dog in my avatar) and his hound team like he was in SF64. :crazy:

SF64 and Assault were great in my opinion.

But the gameplay and controls in Assault was... bleh. Oh and no Bill Grey (grey fluffy dog in my avatar) and his hound team like he was in SF64. :crazy:

Just because there's no Bill doesn't mean there isn't any Ho Yay!

Sorry, that's how I remember Bill, not trying to be rude if you think I am. Bill Grey is awesome!

Just because there's no Bill doesn't mean there isn't any Ho Yay!

Sorry, that's how I remember Bill, not trying to be rude if you think I am. Bill Grey is awesome!

Haha no problem man :)

I always loved that level in SF64 with Bill's team. I dont remember what it's called.

Oh and use bombs wisely...

Loved the original on snes, actually played it for the first time in probably 17 years a couple days back. It was called StarWing here though for some reason.

also, google "do a barrel roll" for a google easter egg ;)

Back