DO NOT SWAP THE ENGINE

• Thread starter Iceman37
  • 14 comments
Australia
Australia
I am not sure if that was done before but I would like your opinions on which cars are better left with their original engine.
I will kick it off with the Mustang Boss, I love the og 428 engine there and also the Corvette ZR1 89 which makes the car a nightmare to handle after the engine swap.
That's my personal opinion and you're welcome to share yours or disagreeing with me, looking forward to your comments

I am not sure if that was done before but I would like your opinions on which cars are better left with their original engine.
I will kick it off with the Mustang Boss, I love the og 428 engine there and also the Corvette ZR1 89 which makes the car a nightmare to handle after the engine swap.
That's my personal opinion and you're welcome to share yours or disagreeing with me, looking forward to your comments
The ZR1 is still pretty easy to drive on the stock engine with 800bhp so I can't imagine an extra few hundred would make that much difference. Have you tried maxing the rear downforce and reducing the front downforce? Helps a lot with stability on faster corners.

I have almost every swap. You may have to alter the aero on some of them. I've found that they pretty much stay the same if they're not maxed out. To me, some are almost undrivable, like the Mini. Some have uncontrollable wheelspin. The Escudo engine swaps have to battle the immense turbo lag,(I hate that motor).

Try this '69 Z28 swap, it's great, but not at full power:

The swaps just fascinate me for some perverse reason.

Last edited:
My personal approach for a car with a swapped engine is to buy all the tuning parts, but most importantly the ballast, power restrictor, and full-customizable ECU. I don't necessarily plan to use these cars at their maximum power, even if some are relatively easier to control than others.

Instead, I likely will limit their power/weight to comply with a future regulation, whether it's for a World Circuits event or something in Sport Mode. I have heard that even if you take two of the same model - one with its stock engine and the other with its alternate engine - and they have the same power, the one with the swapped engine will likely have superior torque. I recall that a good example of this is the DeTomaso Pantera and Mustang Mach 1 '71, where the Coyote 5.0L doesn't offer much extra power even when tuned to maximum, but it does have much better torque than the respective stock engines of those two cars.

There does seem to be a lot more to swapping an engine than the maximum tunable HP. I'd try reducing the power using the restrictor insofar that it can enter a particular event you had in mind - perhaps such as the WTC 600 - and see how it handles there.

Of course, it's still nice to have a higher range of HP for some cars, like the original Mini Cooper S - I recall a swapped version of it being used in an older Daily Race at Watkins Glen. It's even better when the maximum power of a car's stock engine is still very low, but then you get a drastically wider range in possible HP out of the swapped engine, such as the two Volkswagens that can take a Porsche engine.

Last edited:
I have almost every swap. You may have to alter the aero on some of them. I've found that they pretty much stay the same if they're not maxed out. To me, some are almost undrivable, like the Mini. Some have uncontrollable wheelspin. The Escudo engine swaps have to battle the immense turbo lag,(I hate that motor).

Try this '69 Z28 swap, it's great, but not at full power:

The swaps just fascinate me for some perverse reason.
I don't find the K20 Mini too bad to be honest, but then I am driving it on Racing soft tyres usually.

The Boss 429 Swap isn’t very good and does nothing better than the stock motor. Mr. P saved it and did the best he could with it.

The absolute best swap I've found is the Porsche engine in the classic Beetle. It's not super effective but it follows the events of Herbie: Fully Loaded.
I also like the R92CP engine in the R34 and the Corvette engine in the Trans Am.

Would be cool to have a gt7 app where you could tune your cars, liveries and swap engine. I find my self using a lot of time when doing this in the game. Now I'm just chilling on the sofa and it would be cool to just do it in app and then save it to the game for next time I'm playing.

IMHO. the engine swap makes a different car to get used to. Ya'll said the DeLorean swap was trash. I took it to Spa several times on easy and passed everyone up like they were on blocks.
The original RX-7 Spirit swap was kinda like that til I got used to it.

Would be cool to have a gt7 app where you could tune your cars, liveries and swap engine. I find my self using a lot of time when doing this in the game. Now I'm just chilling on the sofa and it would be cool to just do it in app and then save it to the game for next time I'm playing.
I use a tablet and the PS5 remote play app. It works very well. And I have the OG PS5 controller connected to my tablet via Bluetooth. It works well enough that I have clocked over 20 hours customizing and tuning cars at a friend's house.

I was struggling on the Willow Springs Neo Classic before I got the 787B. I found this video and followed along with this engine swap and it was exactly the boost I needed. I will still bring this car out at times and it crushes the competition and is that ringer in the back pocket when you need it.

THis is an interesting thread. I personally don't see why anyone would want to swap out the Nissan Fairlady Z 432 '69 ... I kind of like the way the old engine sounds. Just keep it and if you want a faster car put the bugatti engine in the GTR and off you go

Last edited:
The absolute best swap I've found is the Porsche engine in the classic Beetle. It's not super effective but it follows the events of Herbie: Fully Loaded.
I also like the R92CP engine in the R34 and the Corvette engine in the Trans Am.
Do you have a tune for the vette engine in the trans am that thing is a handful

Do you have a tune for the vette engine in the trans am that thing is a handful
Yes. I never uploaded it but I was able to win the 1 hour Spa race and the 15 lap Sardegna race on Easy.
I grew up around cars like that, the 1982 Cutlass, a 1979 Custom Cruiser, a 1972 Vista Cruiser, etc. Like their modern counterparts here they have a ton of low end torque. The biggest help is in the transmission; you need to tune it so the car never revs above 5,000 RPM or so. If you're hearing a high pitched whine right before you shift, shift sooner and extend the gear ratio a bit. TCS is an absolute must, but the increased torque will help once traction is established.
You also need to raise and soften the rear suspension. Softening the dampers and anti roll bar make it respond more to throttle inputs but if the car is lowered too much the back end has nowhere else to go.
This is true of just about every FR American car in the game, including the Raptor and it should include the Group B Mustang. The Raptor is essentially an FR vehicle with an option to power the front wheels. On it and any classic US muscle car if four wheel drive is available it will help if applied cautiously.
Similar setups may help with European and Asian muscle cars. If you have a 26B converted RX-7, work with it some to get some ideas how to keep those old American muscle cars planted.

Back