Do race cars IRL use ABS?

Belgium
Belgium
ANNIHILATOR90
I have no clue so do race cars use ABS IRL (including F1 cars), are there rules that disallow or allow it?
Actually the same with TC, I know F1 doesn't use TC now and I can imagine other race events might not allow it either.

Just curious as I want to race with the same settings with my controller, which is obviously harder as it's not that easy to find and maintain the fine line between accelerating too slow and spinning the wheels, or barely braking and locking the wheels.

Depending on the series but I know sportscar racing (LMP1/2, GT1, GTE, GTC, GT3, GT4, etc) allows ABS and TCS.

No abs or tc in GT1 but they seem to be allowed in GT3 as they are supposed to be closer to the production models. Also no aids in Super GT.

As a rule of thumb driving aids are not allowed. There are some exceptions to the rule but in GT it's probably better to use the same set up for all cars.

DTM - No ABS
F1 - No ABE
GT1 - No ABS
LMP900 - ABS allowed

In real life no ABS is better (from my experience).

Many series' allow ABS. Some of the formula type series don't.

F1 is strange because ABS is not allowed, but the KERS system offers awesome braking power that is modulated through a controller. So, it's definitely more than just using your foot to control the braking.

I drove once a GT3 Audi R8 LMS, and the car use a TCS.
Wich was great as the track was wet, till it decided to stop working because something get wrong (I think it happens when you block the wheels, as the car as no ABS) - and that mean rebooting the car : stop it, press plenty of buttons, an restart it.

Real race drivers complained a bit, as it happens sometime during races. Quite annoying.

Latest Posts

Back