Do real racers ever press gas pedal and brake at same time?

• Thread starter mattersend
  • 25 comments
United States
United States
When I used to play F1 2010-2011 on my xbox 360, (with a controller), I would sometimes, (only in corners) hit the brakes and slowly put on the throttle at the same time. I felt like I could squeeze out some more traction/control by doing this. Is this stupid? Is it ever done IRL? Thanks.

Whats cool is my hands just started doing it (once I was in the zone). I didn't look it up or anything, my hands just felt like this would work...pretty natural concept I guess. Probably insane to master IRL.

Funny thing is, we get black flagged at my local karting track for doing this, (Well, we get a couple of warnings first.) but, yes, is actually is a thing in "real" racing.

If your flying into a corner super fast and need to turn in with too much speed, you VERY gently ease off the brakes while still keeping them on during the actual turn, and throttle on VERY gradually as you ease off the brakes. Its essentially a balancing act.

Its called trail braking and yes drivers do it in RL.

That is not what he is talking about.

Trail braking is braking into the corner.

When I used to play F1 2010-2011 on my xbox 360, (with a controller), I would sometimes, (only in corners) hit the brakes and slowly put on the throttle at the same time. I felt like I could squeeze out some more traction/control by doing this. Is this stupid? Is it ever done IRL? Thanks.

It's called left foot braking.

You'll usually see it being used with FWD cars to lessen understeer.
Braking and accelerating into a turn with FWD will cause the front tires to slow down less as the engine is trying to push them forward, the rears are unaffected and the brake bias shifts to the rear. The effect is similar to gently using the handbrake in the corner.

Rally cars sometimes do it as well, when they left foot brake the ECU frees up the differentials, allowing the car to rotate easier.

Funny thing is, we get black flagged at my local karting track for doing this, (Well, we get a couple of warnings first.) but, yes, is actually is a thing in "real" racing.

Yep, exactly the same over here as it would otherwise considerably shorten the lifespan of the brakes.
Most warnings are issued though to people who are not even aware that they're braking and giving throttle at the same time ;)

It almost feels like double clutching but while braking so that when your ready to go full throttle your already at a higher rpm when you let the brakes go.

It almost feels like double clutching but while braking so that when your ready to go full throttle your already at a higher rpm when you let the brakes go.

Nobody in their right mind would do this, it would just cause a loss of traction as soon as you dumped the clutch.

Not trying to "throw a wrench into the works" or anything, but there is also the matter of gas/brake modulation at the same time under the use of 'heel-toe downshifting', though it is much less 'frequent' and/or impactive as say - left-foot braking.

All-in-all, racing a car is the same song-n-dance, no matter who plays it.

Before the invention and implementation of anti lag all the rally drivers of the group B era would brake and accelerate simultaneously to keep the boost up for corner exit, also in a 4wd the power to the rear will overwhelm the rear brakes due to brake bias therefore helping balance out understeer on corner exit.

Before the invention and implementation of anti lag all the rally drivers of the group B era would brake and accelerate simultaneously to keep the boost up for corner exit, also in a 4wd the power to the rear will overwhelm the rear brakes due to brake bias therefore helping balance out understeer on corner exit.

What is antilag?

I always understood anti-lag to involve injecting fuel into the exhaust, creating explosions which keep the turbo spinning at operating speed.

Anti-lag is a system whereby the engine automatically fuels up to create exhaust gases, so the turbo keeps spinning and you don't have any turbo lag. It sounds a bit like this:

I bet the neighbours love him!!!!!:sly::sly::lol::lol:

Just clarification, left foot braking and trail braking are just what they say they are. In the industry of you have the brakes and gas on together it's called overlap, or overlapping.

In proper "Heel and Toe" driving you better believe you are on the brakes and the gas at the same time. It's an absolute necessity when downshifting because you need to ensure that the RPMs are correct for the next gear. There are plenty of example of heel and toe foot work on YouTube, but here is one with the late great Ayrton Senna:

If you don't rev match when downshifting you will cause the drive wheels to lock up and in extreme cases you will find yourself backwards into the sand trap...... or worse......

Back