do real racing car's steering wheel have dead zone?Sports Cars 

• Thread starter Kano Manel
  • 3 comments
United Kingdom
London
Quick question (I can't find answer to this with google, all results are related to simracing)

In real life, do racing cars have a dead zone in the steering wheel? When I'm at Le Mans or Spa I wish I had a dead zone in my steering wheel, evry minimal input is immediately translated into high speed corrections.

They do not. A deadline is really only used in Sims to deal with the inaccuracies of a steering wheel, which may start to drift to one side or not, allowing you to still hold the wheel straight.

On high speed straights, drivers will still make tiny corrections anyway as the car reacts to bumps. It's up to the skill of the driver to do this with the least input and reactions.

Quick question (I can't find answer to this with google, all results are related to simracing)

In real life, do racing cars have a dead zone in the steering wheel? When I'm at Le Mans or Spa I wish I had a dead zone in my steering wheel, evry minimal input is immediately translated into high speed corrections.
A lot of 'dead zone' IRL comes from rubber bushings within a cars suspension system, and to a lesser extent these days, taller profile tyres. They make for a delay in the steering system between the driver making a steering movement and the car acting out that movement whilst the rubber initially flexes as it takes on the weight of the car's shift in sideways momentum. The rubber in steering systems is there on a road car to insulate sudden feedback from distortions found on a road surface. Sportier cars have stiffer bushings to give more of that feedback available to the driver. Race cars, dependant on what type they are often have solid bushings, made of something like nylon which flexes very little so gives almost full feedback from what the tyres are experiencing on the track surface, other than a tiny amount of tyre sidewall flex. This leads to having very little dead zone in the steering.

Last edited:
Back