Do Specific Tyre Types Even Make a Difference in Driving?

United States
Fort Worth
That_sneaky_azN
I have been wondering this. Does it actually affect handling, or is it just a placebo effect going on in our heads? I recently was in a lobby where they were discussing this topic, saying that Off Road Tyres improve off road capabilities on cars. Not sure.

IIRC off-road tyres are slightly, SLIGHTLY better than other types of tyres both on and off-road, but the difference is pretty much negligible.

So, as it turns out, I'm wrong and that off-road tyres are indeed better at going off-road (or at least over uneven surfaces) than anything else - but not in terms of grip.

I might go put off-road tyres on all of my racing cars at some point, and it's also tempting to check if my Akuma functions better with some of the different bike wheels (since I think there's one type that has ridiculously thick tyres and it would be nice to go over curbs without jumping 30ft into the air whilst racing)

Well, I was going to say that tyre profile and helps provide stability over corners and "flat surfaces" to "uneven surfaces". As we can see; High-End, Sports, and SUV wheels all have low profile (thin) tyre setup meaning that the best grip over flat and smoothe surfaces and even roads, Muscle, Tuner, and Lowrider have a more middle ground/prolific setup meaning they can tackle both head on a little more towards the road but can handle a little curbing and dirt as they can help (trust me), and lastly, the Off-Road wheels are the highest in profile as well as width and effectiveness in both scenarios (def. more towards off-road) as the cushion like effect helps with uneven surfaces, unpredictable and unreliable weather. My advice - fit as you feel necessary for your cars and comfort, personally I most go with Muscle and Tuner, rarely touching any of the others as they all have their unique touch on any car.

Last edited:
I noticed that on big SUV's (My Dubsta 6X6 as an example) tend to slide better with off roads. May just be the turbo and stuff but I don't know,

Back