Do the expensive steering wheels have much impact on laptimes?

• Thread starter foofiemoon
  • 10 comments
United States
United States
I was wondering if the really expensive steering wheels do much to improve on laptimes. Wheels like the Thrustmaster T-GT. Obviously they have a more premium feel. So they might be worthwhile for other reasons.

I only have experience with 2 cheap wheels, the Logitech MOMO and the Microsoft Wireless Wheel. Impressions are that any decent wheel (even one without FFB) gives a big jump in laptimes over standard control pads. And that as one moves up the scales of price and quality (e.g., T150 to T300 to T-GT) only small changes in racing times.

Also, since the game in question matters, let's use a recent game like Gran Turismo Sport.

ISR did a video about just that topic and it was decided the Fantac CSW v2.5 did indeed help his performance when compared to lesser wheels. The T-GT is newer, so it hasn't been tested yet that I've seen. But from personal experience, Fanatec >>> Thrustmaster all day, every day just based on build quality alone.

I'd guess the jump from the T150 to the T300 is fairly small, but the jump from say the T300 to the Fanatec v2.5 would be quite noticeable.

That being said, there are some extremely quick people who use the Logitech G25 and DFGT.

Last edited:
I haven't viewed much of the newer videos on this subject but i always heard the pedals is where you can make a noticeable difference. Darrin formerly of isrtv preferred the t3pa pro with conical brake mod the most, even over load cell sets.

My experience is that a more expensive wheel helps the most with the following:
- Consistency and accuracy lap after lap
- Easily and smoothly correcting slides (where self-aligning torque power is important)

The pedals are more critical: Accurately stopping the car lap after lap requires a lot of nuance, especially if you have ABS and Traction Control disabled (as is required in most PC sims). Simple plastic pedals are definitely the worst part of cheaper wheel sets.

I think for wheel the prices you are paying for are primarily for the fidelity of the experience. It's at the end of the day a tool to make the act of driving make-believe racecars more fun. And as with anything else for fun it's a matter of how much you are willing to spend for the experiences.

There are some tangible benefits, the output of the motor and the speed and the detail of the FFB can and do differ(going from DF Pro to G25 to T500 to now TS-PC every one has something over the previous that you can feel), but speed primarily comes from just driving more.

I can remember quite well when i changed my cheap beginner wheel to a more pro like more expensive wheel. The expensive wheels will give you a better immersion more fun more realistic feeling but i doubt that they will give u better lap times. And i would go as far and say that you will be faster with a cheaper wheel. I remember back then we werent even using FFB. I could steer my car (with the cheap wheel) like a Go Kart. Very precise lap after lap. When i jumped to my expensive wheel with good FFB and such my lap times were quite a bit slower. I had to practice 1-2 weeks to adapt to it but still couldnt match my old times. The reason is that you have different factors on your lap times. With the more expensive wheel you are starting to "fight" against the FFB. Against counter steering and such. With the cheap wheel i could make a simple move to catch the car when sliding.

With the cheaper wheel i was steering "on distance" with the more expensive wheel i was steering with Force. I knew with X Force the tyres will steer Y and with the cheaper wheel it was like "steer 5cm" to get the tyres to steer like that...

I haven't viewed much of the newer videos on this subject but i always heard the pedals is where you can make a noticeable difference. Darrin formerly of isrtv preferred the t3pa pro with conical brake mod the most, even over load cell sets.

Darren was shilling for Thrustmaster. On one hand he talked about how the T3PA conical brake mod was just as good as a load cell, then when he had a set of DSD Wilwoods in front of him, he ate that statement, praising the hydraulic loadcell in the DSD brake Pedal... Take his recorded opinions with a grain of salt, and a glass of Kooaide.

When I had a Microsoft WRW, I was pretty quick with it. On FM2, I kept up with most of my game pad using friends. I ended up getting my current wheel, a Fanatec CSR right when FM4 launched. My lap times increased dramatically at first. Yes the wheel was better, but it took time to get use to it. For a while, I thought about returning it but I kept working with it. Now I'm quick when I set my mind on it. But that came after I got use the the better wheel.

Edit 3: I wrote "my lap times dropped" when I should have wrote "my lap times increased". Dropping lap times seemed to indicate I was immediately faster with the CSR, but that wasn't the case.

Edit 4: I looked at the ISRTV review I was referring to. They were DSD pedals, but they are Wilwood pedals. Not Tilton. Sorry.

Last edited:
Hey Iceman those are some interesting comments. It might mean that, even if you have an expensive wheel, one would achieve better laptimes by setting the FFB to a lower level. Is this correct?

By the way, one reason I ask these questions is in consideration of 2 purchase options:
1. Buy a drivehub and keep using Microsoft Wireless Racing Wheel, which is not considered to be a very good steering wheel (I do have it on a Wheel Stand Pro and that helps)
2. Upgrade to a Thrustmaster T150 or Logitech G29 (T300 is out of my budget)

Game to be played is Gran Turismo Sport (currently using motion controls, aka sixaxis).

Hey Iceman those are some interesting comments. It might mean that, even if you have an expensive wheel, one would achieve better laptimes by setting the FFB to a lower level. Is this correct?

By the way, one reason I ask these questions is in consideration of 2 purchase options:
1. Buy a drivehub and keep using Microsoft Wireless Racing Wheel, which is not considered to be a very good steering wheel (I do have it on a Wheel Stand Pro and that helps)
2. Upgrade to a Thrustmaster T150 or Logitech G29 (T300 is out of my budget)

Game to be played is Gran Turismo Sport (currently using motion controls, aka sixaxis).

Its hard to say that you will be faster by just lowering the FFB. It is a long learning curve thats for sure. What i would like to say is that you have to get used to your wheel and your settings. If so then you can drive any lap time which is possible with your skill. A different wheel will not make you faster. You will have a better immersion or maybe drive more consistent but not really faster. Maybe a bad example but think like that: Try to drift with a high end wheel and with a 50 dollar wheel. Iam 100% sure you will be much better with the cheaper one. I am not a drifter but i tried to drift with my old wheels (for example the T500 RS or the Fanatec CSW Base V2) and i nearly flew out of my Rig. You are constantly fighting the FFB but with a cheaper wheel with a ****** FFB or no FFB you can just drift like with a Gamepad.

To answer your question. I have absolutely no Information about your wheel and so cant say anthing about it. Back then when i played GT 5 i used the Logitech DFGT wheel. It was a really good wheel tbh (quality not so good :D ) and was enough for my GT Racing. With your budget i would go for the G29. You can mod it in the future and if you look to other drivers many of them are still using the G25/27/29. Its quite reliable and a good wheel. If you can get a used T500 RS for a good price then i would go for that because the Wheel will give you a much better experience.

In my Case i had sold all my equipment 1.5-2 years ago and now iam thinking to come back. I ordered the Fanatec Clubsport Pedals v3 Inverted and the Logitech G29. Iam actually planing what to do. Selling the new G29 and buying a more high end wheel ... i dont know. But i dont do this to be faster by my equipemnt. Its just the better immersion/experience this products will give me.

A high end wheel is not necessarily faster as a lower end one. But will give you more immersion. The higher quality materials, quieter motor, higher power all add to the immersion and experience. Like it is unnecessary to have a motion platform or even a high end seat. These will not make you a lot faster. For some maybe, but as a general rule no.

Back