Do you brake with the right foot?

• Thread starter slthree
  • 29 comments
United States
Fact Central Florida
slthree
I'm new to the wheel and I've been using my left foot to hold my cheap plastic pedal base down while using my right foot for gas and brake

However, I just read through a thread where someone was complaining of pain in his left foot after long racing sessions.

A bunch of people replied to give him advice (why I love this site) and not a single person told him he should be using his right foot.

So, that made me think I'm doing it wrong. Am I supposed to be braking with my left foot?

I'm new to the wheel and I've been using my left foot to hold my cheap plastic pedal base down while using my right foot for gas and brake

However, I just read through a thread where someone was complaining of pain in his left foot after long racing sessions.

A bunch of people replied to give him advice (why I love this site) and not a single person told him he should be using his right foot.

So, that made me think I'm doing it wrong. Am I supposed to be braking with my left foot?
It is not necessarily wrong...maybe less efficient. In racing Left braking is the standard. I recommend doing some research on leftfoot braking on youtube. However if you feel you are faster by using rightfoot braking then just stick with that!

I use right foot braking IRL, but left foot braking in games. Gives you a lot more control, but can lead to unbalancing the car if not done properly. That's why I don't do it in real life :P

I brake with right foot and accelerate with left foot. It started when me and my friends held a series with no abs, I found that it has been more precise, but it's just me. Like @PocketZeven said, it's depends if you're faster or not with right foot braking
:confused: How does that work? Do you move the gaspedal to the left?

edit: spelling correction

Last edited:
:confused: How does that work? Do you mode the gaspedal to the left?
Yup, gas left, clutch center, brake on the right, the only problem is my friends can't use my rig, lol

15237166485711728542294.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I admit to doing this because I'm sometimes paranoid that my muscle memory is going to take over when I'm driving a real car. I'm also right-footed by the way.

It is definitely unconvential, but I do understand, if your right footed, how this could help. Your rightfoot should be a lot more sensitive with modulation.. Do you ever use the clutch?
Yup, more sensitive with modulation is the answer. I use clutch, but not in gt sport since it doesn't support clutch

Yup, more sensitive with modulation is the answer. I use clutch, but not in gt sport since it doesn't support clutch
Gt sport actually does support clutch. When you start your first race, press in the clutch and it will auto detect clutch, but it is not really calibrated well in GT sport. You need to fully press in the clutchpedal everytime or you will miss shifts. Lol I was just wondering how you would heel/toe in your setup.... You would need a third leg:lol:

edit: It also works only with cars that use clutch in real life. (so not cars with sequentials)

Gt sport actually does support clutch. When you start your first race, press in the clutch and it will auto detect clutch, but it is not really calibrated well in GT sport. You need to fully press in the clutchpedal everytime or you will miss shifts. Lol I was just wondering how you would heel/toe in your setup.... You would need a third leg:lol:

edit: It also works only with cars that use clutch in real life. (so not cars with sequentials)

Thanks for the info. Yup, can't do heal and toe, that's one more down side of my setup

For me, it depends on the car. If the car has an H pattern and a clutch, I tend to heel and toe with my right foot, while reserving left for clutch duty. If the car is paddle/sequential shift, then I am left foot braking.

I am trying to teach myself how to use both feet when working a traditional manual though. It's tricky getting it down pat, but hey; that's what Sim Racing Rigs are for, right?

Here's what I am aiming to do... Music and all :P

For me, it depends on the car. If the car has an H pattern and a clutch, I tend to heel and toe with my right foot, while reserving left for clutch duty. If the car is paddle/sequential shift, then I am left foot braking.

I am trying to teach myself how to use both feet when working a traditional manual though. It's tricky getting it down pat, but hey; that's what Sim Racing Rigs are for, right?

Walter Rörhl is a beast!

I do both IRL and in sim. As mentioned with others if I am using H-pattern shifter I would right foot brake and left foot clutch when i need to downshift for corners, but if I don't I revert to LFB. Sequential cars I LFB exclusively. In real life I daily drive right foot brake but I track/autoX left foot brake only.

I use both interchangeably. Typically with a car with sequential gears I'm left foot braking but of course when using clutch and full manual then I rbrake using both feet during the lap. For example - a quick dab of the brake and I'll use my left but when braking hard for a corner and downshifting I'm using my right because I need the left for the clutch.

Personally I started off left foot braking on DFGT IIRC and never changed. Much quicker way, I think that is why Rubens didn't do as well as he could have done. I had a steering wheel pedal set for GT1, I think I would have left foot braked even then, makes sense to do so but can't remember fully as I was only little then and didn't set it up much. Heck, I can't even remember for GT4 when I had a crappy wheel come free with the PS2 Slim console.

I even left foot brake in real life, manual less likely to unless more up to speed but on automatic I do it all the time. I was driving M235i the other day, my brother thinks I'm crazy that I brake with my left foot. I tell him that he is crazy for right foot braking and it is safer left foot braking as you can react quicker to any situation.

Mad skills. :bowdown:

Yep, sim rigs are cheap way to learn a lot of the basics. I remember someone doing that kind of technique in GT5 (Vid below) and I wanted to learn it when getting a G27 but problem with my desk setup is awkward place for gear stick and it slid off all the time so was useless and also pedals jump up so I gave up trying.

I do LFB in games as I always use paddles anyway so it would be a waste of effort. IRL I drive a manual so obviously have to RFB

I just got my first wheel+pedals set, and I'm also using my left foot to hold the pedals in place. Moving to left foot braking is well and good as a plan, but how else are you going to secure your pedals short of buying/building a wheel stand?

I just got my first wheel+pedals set, and I'm also using my left foot to hold the pedals in place. Moving to left foot braking is well and good as a plan, but how else are you going to secure your pedals short of buying/building a wheel stand?
Depends on your setup... Moving the pedals against the wall helps or setting them up on a certain angle. Another thing you can do is to press the pedals using your ankle instead of your whole leg. That way you always keep some weight on you pedalbase.

There are things that can be done besides running straight to getting a rig.

One could make a MDF/pine box to mount the pedals. It's not a wheel stand, and can easily be constructed in about an hour. The weight and the bigger footprint of the box will keep the pedals planted, once they are mounted. The box will also will raise the pedals up a bit, and that could give you a more comfortable seating position.

Hook Velcro works too, if you have a rug or a carpeted floor.

Then @PocketZeven 's suggestion works too. Use a board if you need to bring the pedals closer to you.

I use right foot. In Australia thats how we drive. The left foot is only for clutch.
I guess Ricciardo brakes with his right foot:lol: But in all seriousness they drive like that in the rest of the World too (roadcars). But in racing the situation is totally different!

I'm still practicing with using both feet (Walter Rörhl style). I am getting the hang of the foot work. The music... Not so much. :(

My biggest problem is a hardware issue. I still haven't got a shifter, and that is throwing my coordination off on down shifts.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back