Do you burn more calories on a Manual treadmill than an Automatic One?

• Thread starter CAG_Theory
  • 25 comments

CAG_Theory

(Banned)
My Foes,
Manual Treadmill- You excess more effort by forcing yourself to run, but you are running slower.

Automatic Treadmill- You ran fast without any excess effort by yourself with the help of the machine.

Also, my treadmill is an automatic one. Is it ok to run on it manually?

Thank you !

Last edited by a moderator:
Swimming is the most complete physical activity as far as I know.

I'd say the 3 posts above are pretty much right on. Running outside is better than a treadmill. Swimming is better than running. And as always proper weight training is the best excercise.

He asked if you burn more calories on a manual treadmill rather than on an automatic one. He didn't ask what sport activity was better than running on a treadmill.

I won't answer his question 'cause I don't know the answer, but I wanted to point that out regardless. Also OP, why are we your foes? :(

I'd say the 3 posts above are pretty much right on. Running outside is better than a treadmill. Swimming is better than running. And as always proper weight training is the best excercise.
I always thought it was the other way around. => That running is better than swimming.

Lifting heavy **** > hamster machines.

Not (entirely) true. You should really do both. One hour of cardio everyday (ideally) and 3-5 days of weight training in addition. On weight training days you lift first, cardio after.

To answer the OP: Cycling Class > Running Machine. (For calories and health)

I'm talking about these:

spinning.jpg

Not these:

cybex-cyclone-recumbent-bike.jpg

Cycling aka spinning is generally the best calorie-per-hour workout at the gym because of the low-impact nature. If you sprint on a treadmill for an hour you will obviously burn more calories - but how many people have the discipline for that? - and running puts more strain on your joints. Cycling classes can work as both cardiovascular workouts while also providing muscle work. If you do a spin class before lifting weights you can ignore the lower body that day 👍

Yes true. If you want a "cardio" workout, do a quick complex like this...

If you use a 45lb plate like this guy, you will probably die.

Swimming is the most complete physical activity as far as I know.

I have the same opinion, and right after that is cycling! A good cycling is done outside with all the variations of ground and strength applied and with the benefit of fresh air;)!

That depends on if you want to get stronger or not. Though you might develop your calves.

It also depends on the style of cycling. We offer one here (Cycle STRENGTH) with very high resistance and low cadences. It works your entire lower body (gluts, quads, hammies, ad/abductors included) and pretty much does the work of lunges, squats, and the like. You are also not limited to sitting, getting up ("standing") on the pedals also makes a huge difference.

Calves are an accessory muscle group anyways - like biceps they exist to look good. ;)

It also depends on the style of cycling. We offer one here (Cycle STRENGTH) with very high resistance and low cadences. It works your entire lower body (gluts, quads, hammies, ad/abductors included) and pretty much does the work of lunges, squats, and the like.

That wouldn't get you to a 300lb squat though, so you can't really substitute it.

True. I'm not saying you'd substitute it for all time. But that day you could. 👍

Not (entirely) true. You should really do both. One hour of cardio everyday (ideally) and 3-5 days of weight training in addition

Weight training 3-5 days a week AND cardio? If you are lifting weights worth lifting you'll need all the recovery time you can get without adding cardio into the mix.
I used to olympic lift 4 days a week with medium-intensity cardio after a workout and on the 5th day do high intensity interval training. Even with foam rolling and stretching my DOMS was so bad after a few weeks of this I had to give it up for something less extreme. Even now my legs are so tired after lifting that I doubt I could run anywhere.

If you want to make all-round improvements, lift big weights. It will - strengthen your core muscles (important for everything, from posture to explosive performance)
increase your cardio ability (after a set of squats I am so out of breath that I can barely talk between breathing and i'm not what you'd call unfit!)
make you look and feel more filled out and muscular, and, in my opinion, the best part - actual strength that is useable in everyday life.

Remember that lifting heavy weights will burn calories from lifting the weights and from the recovery process (repairing the muscle). So what you get is a 2 day calorie burn for an hour or so of effort.

Well obviously it's a different program than what you were doing. If the goal is big muscles and insane stamina, a plan like yours is ideal. If you're strictly looking to burn calories (I'm assuming for the goal of fat loss) you're going to want cardio everyday and less intense weight training. I'm not talking about intense hour-plus plyometrics to make you puke - I'm talking about getting the primary muscle groups (legs, chest, back, core) with one or two different exercises each in a circuit or two

Rough example (30 minute workout)

Circuit 1 (twice through) - Assisted dips, Assisted chin-ups, Squats with a barbell (20 each)

Circuit 2 (twice through) - Dumbell Press, Dumbell Row, Lunges with dumbells (20 each using the same pair of dumbells for all 3)

Circuit 3 (3x through) - Sit-ups (weighted if needed) x15, Side Planks

A simple workout like that could be repeated 3x a week whilst managing cardio everyday and you would see fat loss. It's a beginners' workout but it covers the main bases. It would be done at a pace to get you done in 30 minutes or so and keep the heart rate going. That wouldn't be too much.

I'm going to move this to the Sports forum since we're talking about fitness now.

Well obviously it's a different program than what you were doing. If the goal is big muscles and insane stamina, a plan like yours is ideal. If you're strictly looking to burn calories (I'm assuming for the goal of fat loss) you're going to want cardio everyday and less intense weight training. I'm not talking about intense hour-plus plyometrics to make you puke - I'm talking about getting the primary muscle groups (legs, chest, back, core) with one or two different exercises each in a circuit or two

Rough example (30 minute workout)

Circuit 1 (twice through) - Assisted dips, Assisted chin-ups, Squats with a barbell (20 each)

Circuit 2 (twice through) - Dumbell Press, Dumbell Row, Lunges with dumbells (20 each using the same pair of dumbells for all 3)

Circuit 3 (3x through) - Sit-ups (weighted if needed) x15, Side Planks

A simple workout like that could be repeated 3x a week whilst managing cardio everyday and you would see fat loss. It's a beginners' workout but it covers the main bases. It would be done at a pace to get you done in 30 minutes or so and keep the heart rate going. That wouldn't be too much.

The workout above is, what i'd describe as (and no disrespect to you), a ladies workout. A nice, light workout to 'tone up' her saggy bits in time for lying on the beach in the sun with not much on.

Why not go all out, bust your ass for an hour and burn 2500-3000 calories per day? You can start with just the barbell (keep it compound, no silly isolation work needed!) and work up, and so long as your technique is perfected early on you won't come across any problems. This will burn calories like nothing else! I eat 4500-5250kcal with around 200-220g of protein on workout days and wake up the next morning pretty hungry. Workout takes me 50-60 minutes including foam-roller warm up, warm up sets, flexibility training and cool down.

My girlfriend does the same routine as me, albeit much lighter (full credit to her as she is adding weight to the bar like nobodies business!) and is looking fantastic. Not bulky or masculine, not gristly or muscley, just very well proportioned with an ideal bodyfat percentage. If she can do it (she's an ex-cardiobunny) any guy can too!

I don't understand why people go to the gym to do low-intensity stuff, or jog miles when you could be doing H.I.I.T... make the most of your time and give it everything you've got!

I do enjoy a nice, long, hilly, all-out timetrial on the bike, but nothing compares to lifting some big pieces of metal on a shiny stick!

Cheers Omnis.

MarinaDiamandis
Amen. So much better than any running or swimming could ever be.

It's so different things. If you really think lifting weight only is THE thing, then you really don't understand the point of "working-out". Or you just focus on having big arms. Big arms are nothing without the rest.

It's so different things. If you really think lifting weight only is THE thing, then you really don't understand the point of "working-out". Or you just focus on having big arms. Big arms are nothing without the rest.

Firstly, weightlifting is almost the opposite of having big arms - Weightlifters have big lifts, bodybuilders have big arms. Look at any olympic weightlifter and you'll see this for yourself. I have fairly big arms but that is a result of years of focused weightlifting training, not a particular focus on getting big arms - besides, I have big legs and a big ass too!

Secondly, some people want to be able to squat 1000lbs, some want to be able to run a marathon, etc. There is no requirement to have a "balanced" body that is able to do all these things at once. You focus on what interests you most. When you are pushing for a 1000lbs squat, or a marathon or ironman there is no room for compromise - for these extreme feats of human strength and fitness you need to be 100% focused on doing exactly that.

I have no interest in running a marathon, or being a fast swimmer, so why would I put any focus on long-distance running or time in the pool? I focus on what I want to be good at (fighting, mid-distance running, lifting) - the more I split my efforts between different training types the less return I see in each discipline - focusing on as few things as possible at a time will bring me the biggest returns for my efforts.

My favourite workout is either weightlifting or sparring. I weigh a lot for my height, due to this i'm better at lifting heavy stuff and fighting than I am at running, although this year I have really focused on my cardio. I can do most physical things as well, if not better than the majority of gym-goers/fitness fanatics that I meet. I think the reason for this is that I know I can push myself harder than others allow themselves to.

Explained that way i understand what you're doing. As I fight myself I know what kind of workout you explained as it's probably similar to what i'm doing.

I lost 10 pounds in the last two weeks by cutting carbs and running 40 minutes at least 3 times a week, with a weight lifting, bodyweight conditioning workout 5 times a week.

Not easy to cut carbs from a daily intake of 200-250gr to 30 net carbs daily. But with a good eating plan it's not so bad too.

Back