Do you consider GT5P a Sim

• Yes

Votes: 119 66.5%
  • No

Votes: 14 7.8%
  • Mixed Feelings

Votes: 46 25.7%

• Total voters
If you really-really-really think that rFactor, LFS or iRacing have the better drving physics than one represented in GT5:P, than your arguments should be taken as a provocation. I can agree those physics are great, full-released and such, but the sheer driving, weight transfer, tyre physics and lateral movement physics are behind one in GT5:P. Sorry mate.

Amar, I highly appreciate GT, because in my opinion it's the best overall mix of all game and simulation essences. I am playing it day by day, even with six so-many-times-raced circuits. And I can't even sleep to see final GT5 with my beloved ring.

But there's so much power in Cell and the simulation in GT has aspects where it belongs to nineties instead to 21st century. We all know that suspensions in GT need their real vertical live for realistic jumps, proper colissions, last bit of tarmac physics to perfection that should be represented by whole new tyre engine and throwing out those old N1-R3 nonsence. And whole gravel/sand engine is a real candidate to be redone. Because what does F2007 in sand traps is just ridiculous, I must laugh in those moments, because the simulation is all gone then. Those are aspects which survived from GT1 and are taking so beautiful game really down.

And yes, if GT had the LFS physics engine, it would make me so happy with my PS3, G25 in Cockpit and 46" FullHD LCD Screen. I don't mind average player's mind, because all realism should be adjustable for those noobs and needforspeeders in game and the game should be entertaining for me as sim freak the same way as some noob.

And especially, you didn't replied to simple question, so please do it now: Are there any news in GT? You had your sources known from past times. Thanks in advance.

eight6er
The reason I think gt4 is a step backwards over gt3, is you can trail bake, lift off oversteer and drift in gt3, these things are not simulated in gt4, so for me gt4 was a big fail. In gt4 when the wheels spin at low speed they would not propel the car fast enough this is really evident when you try to drift, gt3 had this problem too but it was not as bad as you could still drift and gt5p also shares this problem in the same way as gt4 did.
You could really drift really well in GT5P. You just can't do drift donut (because of the tyre model IMO). But you can do manji, and all other drift techniques simulate very well in GT5P. If you can't do it properly than it must be your wheel settings. Depend on your steering, it need perfect amount of force feedback to every specific car so the steering is not 'over-corrected' during countersteering (which some refer it as 'snapback'). Steering wheel can become very sensitive with pro physics. So adjust the force feedback setting to get it right. I would prefer leaving power steering on so that I can do much quicker 'recovery'.

The other thing about oversteer, again PD has done it well base on my experience when driving over the limit. Regarding trail braking, it goes back to tyre modelling. The tyres in GT5P is not heated that is why it does not brake drift properly and keep understeering. It simulates cold tyre constantly so if you want to simulate the warm tyre to get rear end traction properly under braking, give more brake balance to the rear and you will see it would be near perfect.

RedBaron
And yes, if GT had the LFS physics engine, it would make me so happy with my PS3, G25 in Cockpit and 46" FullHD LCD Screen. I don't mind average player's mind, because all realism should be adjustable for those noobs and needforspeeders in game and the game should be entertaining for me as sim freak the same way as some noob.
GT5P physics is as close as LFS. Just without the tyre heating which spoils a little bit. But again, you can adjust the brake settings to suit. And if you are using 900' wheel, try get a steering angle of the real car and you will see what I mean. Calculate the steering ratio against their lock to lock and you will get the real deal.

For example, using appropriate tyre suggested by PD (in driving option guide):
ferrari 599 set at 32'- N3 tyres
f430 at 34'- N3
bmw m3 at 35'- N3
nsx-r at 31'- S1
mazda rx7 at 31'- N3
bmw 135 at 32'- N2
ford mustang at 33'- N2 (can't really remember as i'm in the office now:))

For some reason, you will get enough 'correction' from the force feedback with correct steering angle for any particular standard car. It just feel really good even with the standard settings.

If you go for grippier tyre than PD suggested, for some car, the behaviour would differ so much. Greater weight transfer is making the standard suspension more difficult to cope with. So I always go with the suggested tyre setting, which I find the grip level is very true comparative to its G and speed.
👍

Last edited:
GT5P physics is as close as LFS. Just without the tyre heating which spoils a little bit. But again, you can adjust the brake settings to suit. And if you are using 900' wheel, try get a steering angle of the real car and you will see what I mean. Calculate the steering ratio against their lock to lock and you will get the real deal.

This is second time I have to say that ratios, steering or anything easilly reproducible by numbers and simple geometry from elementary school is just basics for game physics. Not evidence of any advanced physics engine at all! But see the video above to know how much better LFS is, its suspension is just alive with all the jumping, compression of struts and tyres and hopping back. That's the missing feature in GT5 really adding to reality.

Do you think that cars jumping in Eiger are reacting like in real life?

RedBaron
Do you think that cars jumping in Eiger are reacting like in real life?
Eigar is a non-real rally track. Anyway, I'll try to look and compare with other tarmac jumps in this video.

Enjoy & Happy Christmas:)

You could really drift really well in GT5P. You just can't do drift donut (because of the tyre model IMO). But you can do manji, and all other drift techniques simulate very well in GT5P. If you can't do it properly than it must be your wheel settings. Depend on your steering, it need perfect amount of force feedback to every specific car so the steering is not 'over-corrected' during countersteering (which some refer it as 'snapback'). Steering wheel can become very sensitive with pro physics. So adjust the force feedback setting to get it right. I would prefer leaving power steering on so that I can do much quicker 'recovery'.

The other thing about oversteer, again PD has done it well base on my experience when driving over the limit. Regarding trail braking, it goes back to tyre modelling. The tyres in GT5P is not heated that is why it does not brake drift properly and keep understeering. It simulates cold tyre constantly so if you want to simulate the warm tyre to get rear end traction properly under braking, give more brake balance to the rear and you will see it would be near perfect.

f430 at 34'- N3
bmw m3 at 35'- N3
nsx-r at 31'- S1
mazda rx7 at 31'- N3
bmw 135 at 32'- N2

For some reason, you will get enough 'correction' from the force feedback with correct steering angle for any particular standard car. It just feel really good even with the standard settings.

If you go for grippier tyre than PD suggested, for some car, the behaviour would differ so much. Greater weight transfer is making the standard suspension more difficult to cope with. So I always go with the suggested tyre setting, which I find the grip level is very true comparative to its G and speed.
👍

I was saying that the wheel spin problem from gt4 is still in gt5p not the other things. I can do drifting in gt5p but it is not simulated good enough to keep my interest, because like gt4 when the car is drifting it loses speed and tries to straighten up even though the throttle is on. It is like trying to drift a car with an open differential. Also when you clutch kick the wheels should spin not get extra grip and when you floor a car at almost tickover it should not spin wheels and hit the limiter. These things spoil the game for me but at least I like driving fast in this game which is a big improvement over gt4, but for drifting I'll have to stay with lfs.

Eigar is a non-real rally track. Anyway, I'll try to look and compare with other tarmac jumps in this video.

Enjoy & Happy Christmas:)

I saw no jump as dramatic as Eigar you jump from a huge elevation down to a vally and land on your front tyres and noise, Nor did I see any jumps on asphalt. Also those where rally cars with rally setups, not corvette zo6's with production setup.

not my video

The jump just shows off how "arcadey" GT is in alot of areas. A fun thing to do is take somthing like the Ford GT and set the springs and dampers and ride height as low as possible and take the jump. What you think SHOULD happen and what does happen will shock you.

GT isnt NFS, Grid, PGR ect..., nor is it LFS, GTR, PRD, Rfactor ect... Like Forza its in between. Somewhat of a challenge but not like a PC sim that takes dedication to be good at, GT is very "pickup and play" friendly. It likes to give you the illusion that its tough until you play a PC sim and see the light that its just a "simcade".

I'm not a very big fan of PD track design either, My God could you imagine them doing sebring?

Last edited:
Jump nr 5 and 6 was asphalt. 6 was like eiger but not as big. Eiger jump feels unrealistic big to me.. If they make physics correct and damage, i dont think many cars would survive full speed over that jump.

Jump nr 5 and 6 was asphalt. 6 was like eiger but not as big. Eiger jump feels unrealistic big to me.. If they make physics correct and damage, i dont think many cars would survive full speed over that jump.

Yep you're right I missed that....Still I dont see a vette making that jump. I think the true test will be in the full game, Sim physics on and full damage on and taking the jump with an F1 car. If the F1 car makes it you know what kind of game you have.

No way any production cars would survive that Eigar jumps. Rally car would struggle either at that speed.

Talk abaout F1 jumps remind me of this video from LFS.:sly:

The reason I think gt4 is a step backwards over gt3, is you can trail bake, lift off oversteer and drift in gt3, these things are not simulated in gt4, so for me gt4 was a big fail. In gt4 when the wheels spin at low speed they would not propel the car fast enough this is really evident when you try to drift, gt3 had this problem too but it was not as bad as you could still drift and gt5p also shares this problem in the same way as gt4 did.

The most important thing to me is the handling physics I'm not really too concerned about tyre wear or damage or over heating clutches etc. I just want to be able to do anything a real car can do, as far as driving goes. LFS can do these things and I think PD could make GT just as realistic but they choose not to unfortunately.

In all honesty I can't remember exactly what GT3 was like, as I sold it a fair while ago now and have been playing GT4 and GT5P ever since. All I can remember was that GT4 impressed me at the time, and much more so than GT3 did. GT4 was certainly more fluid than GT3, which still had some hang-ups from the PS1 GTs.

I disagree that GT5P shares the wheelspin problem of GT4. It's one of the first things I noticed when playing GT5P, even back in April-ish earlier this year, before PD updated the physics a couple of times. There is a much, much greater sense of traction in GT5P than there was in GT4.

I agree with your second paragraph though 👍 Handling physics are more important than some of the other, smaller issues like brake fade and mechanical wear and tear.

I can do drifting in gt5p but it is not simulated good enough to keep my interest, because like gt4 when the car is drifting it loses speed and tries to straighten up even though the throttle is on.

Bear in mind that most of the cars in GT are road cars. I don't know if you drift in real life, but for cars to have long, controllable drifts they have to be fairly significantly modified, and the drivers have brilliant control and feel for the car.

In GT, the cars are basically standard road cars in which you can fiddle with the settings a little (for the most part) and you'll never get the same level of feel or control whatever controller or wheel you use as you will driving and drifting a real car.

If you've ever seen amateur drifting in fairly standard road cars you'll see that the cars don't really want to remain sideways - they either want to spin or they want to slow down and straighten up (like you mentioned), quite unimpressively!

It is like trying to drift a car with an open differential. Also when you clutch kick the wheels should spin not get extra grip and when you floor a car at almost tickover it should not spin wheels and hit the limiter.

For me drifting has become a little more difficult since the last physics update, as the small increase in overall grip has made the cars much more edgy around the point of losing traction, and much less predictable. I drive with sixaxis though, so maybe it's better with a wheel. I think drifting in GT5P is generally very well simulated though, and certainly having looked at some of the videos of the top scores online, people are getting some very lifelike looking drifts, probably even more so than the LFS ones I've seen. This suggests the drift mechanics are more than up to the task.

Not because it has been polished five times, but still has the same basics. And simulating inner tyre lift or realistic jump is not going to shorten the sales at all. So don't apologize them for being lazy when three folks developed better physics engine after their work than 100+ people team of PD in ten years.

Some of the things you've mentioned - like the two aspects in the quote (jumping physics and lifting a rear tyre under hard cornering etc) - would be quite nice to see in GT5. Most of the other things that LFS offers just aren't important. No game can express certain things as well as genuine, real world physics can, so there's little use in trying to replicate them virtually.

And I don't know quite how many times I'll have to repeat this, but GT is a vastly bigger game than LFS. What three blokes have created is impressive, but it just doesn't have anywhere near the same content as GT. And the content, and making menus work intuitively, and implementing a solid online system that will be used by people all over the world (and in vastly greater numbers than the LFS userbase) and all the other things, are what take time to implement. It just isn't as simple as you seem to be making out.

In all honesty I can't remember exactly what GT3 was like, as I sold it a fair while ago now and have been playing GT4 and GT5P ever since. All I can remember was that GT4 impressed me at the time, and much more so than GT3 did. GT4 was certainly more fluid than GT3, which still had some hang-ups from the PS1 GTs.

I disagree that GT5P shares the wheelspin problem of GT4. It's one of the first things I noticed when playing GT5P, even back in April-ish earlier this year, before PD updated the physics a couple of times. There is a much, much greater sense of traction in GT5P than there was in GT4.

I agree with your second paragraph though 👍 Handling physics are more important than some of the other, smaller issues like brake fade and mechanical wear and tear.

Try the rx7 and full throttle from 800 rpm in 1st gear it will screech and lose traction from very low revs unlike a real one. This is easier with clutch pedal tho.

Bear in mind that most of the cars in GT are road cars. I don't know if you drift in real life, but for cars to have long, controllable drifts they have to be fairly significantly modified, and the drivers have brilliant control and feel for the car.

In GT, the cars are basically standard road cars in which you can fiddle with the settings a little (for the most part) and you'll never get the same level of feel or control whatever controller or wheel you use as you will driving and drifting a real car.

If you've ever seen amateur drifting in fairly standard road cars you'll see that the cars don't really want to remain sideways - they either want to spin or they want to slow down and straighten up (like you mentioned), quite unimpressively!

For me drifting has become a little more difficult since the last physics update, as the small increase in overall grip has made the cars much more edgy around the point of losing traction, and much less predictable. I drive with sixaxis though, so maybe it's better with a wheel. I think drifting in GT5P is generally very well simulated though, and certainly having looked at some of the videos of the top scores online, people are getting some very lifelike looking drifts, probably even more so than the LFS ones I've seen. This suggests the drift mechanics are more than up to the task.

I do drift IRL and can tell you from experience that, gt5p does not come close to lfs for drifting, I can do any thing in lfs that my real car does and it is the closest I have ever felt to real life drifting in a game. I have drifted many standard cars including the rx7 and gt5p does not feel the same to drift. when the car is drifting in gt5p it will not accelerate enough while the wheels are spinning.
It is possible to do realistic looking drifts in gt5p but it does not mean that the methods to get those drifts are the same for one the throttle input is very different to what I do in real cars.

Last edited:
I just tried F599 with N3 tyres which should be like original car reality. Then I slipped out from Suzuka's hairpin in 45 km/h. LOL! It has nothing to do with reality. Sports tyres behave closest to reality IMO.

And if you are using 900' wheel, try get a steering angle of the real car and you will see what I mean. Calculate the steering ratio against their lock to lock and you will get the real deal.

f430 at 34'- N3
bmw m3 at 35'- N3
nsx-r at 31'- S1
mazda rx7 at 31'- N3
bmw 135 at 32'- N2

Can you show your equation for this. I tried to use Rocket Punch's from Scaff's Tuning page, but came up with extremely low angles. Most were below 30' in the 24'-26' range.

I will use the Acura NSX as an example, which have a steering ratio of 18.6:1

The formula for is: (900/2)/18.6 = 24.2 deg

If I'm reading you correctly, you seems to be comparing steering lock-to-lock instead of the ratio.

mu22stang
Can you show your equation for this. I tried to use Rocket Punch's from Scaff's Tuning page, but came up with extremely low angles. Most were below 30' in the 24'-26' range.
Yes, the equation that you calculated was relative to 900' (lock to lock 2.5).
The ratio that I calculated was the actual car turning angle.

E.g
NSX-R
Turning ratio= 18.6:1
Steering lock to lock= 3.24 =1166'

Thus, turning angle of the actual car = (1166'/2)/18.6 = 31'

If calculated in relative to the 900' wheel than you will get 24.2'.

If calculated in relative to 360' wheel than you will get 9.7' Haha!

👍

Last edited:
I see. I guess the question really is how much dead zone is in the G25. Because unlike a real car, in which lock-to-lock matters, the G25 stops reacting after X'.

Edit: My plan to attain the ultimate simulation are fruitless in this respect. It seems there is no way to have both a 1:1 ratio between the actual steering input of the car at hand and the G25 steering input AND a 1:1 between steering angle capabilities of the actual car and the virutal one. Boo.

Last edited:
RedBaron
I just tried F599 with N3 tyres which should be like original car reality. Then I slipped out from Suzuka's hairpin in 45 km/h. LOL! It has nothing to do with reality. Sports tyres behave closest to reality IMO.

Yes I think it should be sport tyres as well but sometimes I have mixed feeling. I remember Scaff was experimenting on tyres quite a while with facts and figures but I can't find his post. Saying that, that 599 standard should be driven with TC in real life. The problem is how much should we set it in the game to simulate it well?

Here is another of many tests on tyre grip in this discussion link:

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=112554&highlight=tyres&page=2

Interestingly its way not accurate, but I tested his method and I found its logical. Though I still prefer Scaff's analysis base on lateral G values.

JDMKING13
if anyone wants the true driving experience of a stock car with O.E.M tires i have ben doing some research on about every tire i could find i have wrote them all out on paper and then did my best to convert them. For example, nissian fairlady z version s O.E.M tire is a bridgestone potenza RE050A. with this i used the survey rating on this tire which got 88 for conering ablity,89 for traction, and a 88 for steering responsive. so i divided it by 3 and got 88 thats about a B+. my grading system goes like this

A++(100 and up) = R tires
A+ (99-97) = S3 tires ( also with added tire width ETC)
A (96-95) = S2 tires ( also with added tire width ETC)
A- (94-90) = S1 tires
B+ (89-87) = N3 tires
B/C+(86-77) = N2 tires
C (76-v) = N1 tires

So you could see the Fairlady Z version s has a tire rating of 88 which would give it N3 tires which IMO is pretty acurate. Another example would be the, nissan GT-R nur spec II O.E.M tire is Bridgestone potenza RE040 which got 76 conering stability, 80 traction, 77 for steering response. the final tire number comes out to (77)N2 tire. i have the whole tire list for every stock car in GTP i will post them later. im not saying this way i run my stock cars are right but it gives me a pretty good base peace...

mu22stang
Edit: My plan to attain the ultimate simulation are fruitless in this respect. It seems there is no way to have both a 1:1 ratio between the actual steering input of the car at hand and the G25 steering input AND a 1:1 between steering angle capabilities of the actual car and the virutal one. Boo.
:sly:Wait 10 more years! I'm sure there will be a greater steering wheel even with variable steering rack at that time!:sly:

Anyway there are a lot of standard cars that I 'googled' come close to G25's 2.5 lock to lock.

Viper GTS = 2.4
Viper SRT10 = 2.4
BMW M3 = 2.4
Ferrari 599 = 2.4
Corvette Z06 = 2.5
Merc SL55 = 2.6
Honda S2000 = 2.6
And most racing cars of course...
👍

imho a combination of items missing and included in GT5P make a 'mixed feeling' for moi.

GT5P game is missing damage modeling to equipment

GT5P game has the lame unlock feature (GTR2 has this to a very small extent - a few track or versions of tracks)

GT5P has the racing 'rubberband effect'

I hope to see GT5 and later games in the GT series have more realistic physics as an OPTION. But I guess that takes time and money so many PD won't care to include it in their GTX games!

Depend on your steering, it need perfect amount of force feedback to every specific car so the steering is not 'over-corrected' during countersteering (which some refer it as 'snapback').
That's unacceptable.

In all honesty I can't remember exactly what GT3 was like...GT4 was certainly more fluid than GT3, which still had some hang-ups from the PS1 GTs.
You think so? I think GT4 is like a twitchy drug addict, and that GT3 is excessively smooth.

Bear in mind that most of the cars in GT are road cars. I don't know if you drift in real life, but for cars to have long, controllable drifts they have to be fairly significantly modified, and the drivers have brilliant control and feel for the car...

...If you've ever seen amateur drifting in fairly standard road cars you'll see that the cars don't really want to remain sideways - they either want to spin or they want to slow down and straighten up (like you mentioned), quite unimpressively!
Not true. Any RWD car with decent suspension control and ~200hp or more will hold a drift all day long. You just can't hold crazy angles for long sweepers like D1GP cars can -- that's highly specialized drifting, not a standard example.

P.S. -- My sister got her PS3 for Christmas, so you guys might see me online in a few decades when GT5 is released. Sorry, Prologue is too spartan for me to buy. :) That is, unless someone knows how to get a copy for cheap (<$10).

i voted mixed!! yes its one of the best car games we have and feels real... but i thought GT4 was close to reality but guess what!? i cant play it anymore since GTHD came out... so GT5 seams to be more close to the reality but iiiiiiiiiiiiit isnt that close!..... just wait for GT6 and you'll see :D

simulators are more expensive than a game for sure :P

Ideally,a steering wheel will be released where not just the amount of lock used can be changed, but where the lock-stops will be adjusted too, so for an old classic car you can increase the number of turns lock-to-lock, and for something like a Formula 1 car you can reduce it to 1.2 turns or whatever they use. It's the only way that you'd get 1:1 steering for every car with a good degree of realism.

Not true. Any RWD car with decent suspension control and ~200hp or more will hold a drift all day long. You just can't hold crazy angles for long sweepers like D1GP cars can -- that's highly specialized drifting, not a standard example.

Ideally you still need a reasonably greasy surface and an LSD too. There aren't a great many road cars naturally predisposed to drifting around, at least not brand new. Judging by road tests, even modern BMWs are naturally tuned to understeer slightly unless you give them a big boot of the throttle.

But I do agree with you on the D1GP point, that's more what I was getting at.

No way any production cars would survive that Eigar jumps. Rally car would struggle either at that speed.

Talk abaout F1 jumps remind me of this video from LFS.:sly:

That's pretty funny how you manage to steer in mid air.:)

And yes GT is a driving sim. It may not be the best, it may not be perfect. But it does give a reasonable facsimile of driving a car.

To answer (sort of) the original question, I think GT5P is both a SIM and a video game. It plays like a Sim, but the game is set up such that the player is rewarded for winning races and conquering the game. I feel like a PURE sim would not include prize money, trophy cars, unlockable stuff, etc. and would exist solely for analytical purposes. Thoughts?

To answer (sort of) the original question, I think GT5P is both a SIM and a video game. It plays like a Sim, but the game is set up such that the player is rewarded for winning races and conquering the game. I feel like a PURE sim would not include prize money, trophy cars, unlockable stuff, etc. and would exist solely for analytical purposes. Thoughts?

Not to many race teams in real life would be very happy not recieving some kind of award for winning a race.

Back