Do you feel driving with a damaged car is too harsh on your sim wheel?

  • Thread starter Thread starter xSNAKEx
  • 22 comments
  • 1,765 views
Messages
1,210
Australia
Sydney
I love playing with damage on realistic most times, but I just cringe at what GT5 makes my wheel go through when I try to continue driving a damaged car.
I can manage it myself just fine, in fact its fun to have a crippled car battle, But I have a feeling the wheel wont last too long like this?

I think there should be an option to dial the shudder down a little but keep the in game damage. They overdid it.


Has anyone else felt this? Im uisng a DFGT. And I'm not talking about the wheel pulling to the left or right or wobbling, thats fine, I mean just the sudden split second left then right max force feedback shudders the game sends out to the wheel. The wheel settings dont affect it much either

HAs anyone played with a DFGT with full damage for weeks and noticed any kind of damage/difference to their wheel?
 
Yeah. The first time my suspension was broken, I thought my wheel will do the same in next moment. Never seen such a vibration in my DFP. Second thought was: "don´t do this too long or you need a new wheel"

But I like it now, it is a good replacement for a totaled car. Either you drive really slow to keep vibrations low or you give up to save your wheel :D
 
Youl should try an endurance race? Mine was getting pretty darn toasty at 1 hour...then more at 2 hours...

Luckily it was only a 2 hour race...
 
I think my point is has anyone had their wheels break as a result of driving around for a long time with the damage effects?

I should also probably have put this in the sim wheels section.
 
Reduce your FFB then, most people have it set far too high.

The FFB on rally tracks is a lot stronger than this anyway.
 
No need to worry, not if DFGT is as solid as DFP. I used my DFP for many years very heavely and no problem at all. I have only had DFGT for around 1 year so it have not bin used for enough hours to see how durable it is, but my guess is they can handle FFB on 10 without any problem.
 
Youl should try an endurance race? Mine was getting pretty darn toasty at 1 hour...then more at 2 hours...

Luckily it was only a 2 hour race...

Dude, endurance race?, A spec has no Damage. You obviously dont know what Im talking about. No one mentioned heat or just plain old uisng th wheel for a longer time...

No need to worry, not if DFGT is as solid as DFP. I used my DFP for many years very heavely and no problem at all. I have only had DFGT for around 1 year so it have not bin used for enough hours to see how durable it is, but my guess is they can handle FFB on 10 without any problem.

Reduce your FFB then, most people have it set far too high.

The FFB on rally tracks is a lot stronger than this anyway.



Jeebus, are all of you guys skim reading this?

I get the feeling people interpret this thread as "Hey guys the froce feedback is strong will my dfgt break if I have it on high thx"

I'm talking about driving Damaged cars only. I know the wheel is fine for every other instance regardless of the settings or use, I'm sure it will last a decade or more like that. The thing is I've never felt any other game make the wheel shudder like gt5 does when full damage is on and you actually persist with driving a car that has been damaged

Big ron is the only one that understood what I meant.
 
Last edited:
I did understand what you ment, I just dont think driving damaged cars does any damage to your wheel. It would be stupid of PD to implement FFB that wrecks wheels..
 
Last edited:
If that was directed to me I did understand what you ment, I just dont think driving damaged cars does any damage to your wheel. It would be stupid of PD to implement FFB that wrecks wheels..

Really, why is that? Sounds like a great way to cycle wheel sales to me.

Actually, the new Thrustmaster t500rs looks tough and solid. I you watch the videos the thing is so crisp and taught, its made to shudder like a real car. But Not the DFGT, I dont think it can handle such shock.

T500RS refrence: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07e0Xk-cYVw
 
Tried DFGT with GT4? FFB was very hard on that game, even more so then GT5 I think(even with damage). I just think the wheel can take more beating then many thinks.

Yeah the trustmaster look amazing, I wish I had the money for it.
 
No I havent, But I dont see how that could be the case .
I cant imagine a scenrario where gt4 could make the wheel shudder like it does with gt5 damage without it seeming ridiculous and out of place because there is no damage in gt4

Actually i could try it with gt4, I doubt it will be the same
 
If DFGTs break, what will happen to a Fanatec 911 Carrera?
 
g 25/27 and Fantec, the components feel more taught. Theres a lot of play in the gears on the dfgt IMO, so it can smack relly easy.
 
I wouldn't worry about it. Presumably all these wheels are designed to withstand the FFB that they are able to generate. If they were not, these manufacturers wouldn't be in business. Of course, any device is bound to randomly fail at some point, but I doubt it would have anything to do with the severity of the FFB being used.

Sadly in this age of RRODs and YLODs and whatnot, we've been conditioned to fear our electronics breaking down even under normal use (I fear it too, it's annoying). But I would hope that the reality is that most of this stuff is sturdy enough to be used as intended.
 
Play Dirt2. Makes the Force feedback system in GT5 look weak. Just driving in a straight line in that game tears the wheel out of your hand. Think damage in GT5 x 5. Been playing it for months now and my G27 hasn't skipped a beat.
 
I'm not sure about driving damaged cars but I managed to break my 1 month old G27 whilst trying for gold on the Suzuka red bull challenge :( That car is also pretty harsh on the equipment!

Sorry for the slight off-topic but I haven't driven with damage yet so can't really comment on that.

Wingers
 
The DFGT will be fine. Mine held up to a year of abuse with iRacing/GTR2/rFactor before I replaced it with a G27. Still good as new, in my closet in case I break my G27 for whatever reason.
 
The whole point of have a little play (even if it very small) in FFB motors and gears is so it can take the punishment.
 
Play Dirt2. Makes the Force feedback system in GT5 look weak. Just driving in a straight line in that game tears the wheel out of your hand. Think damage in GT5 x 5. Been playing it for months now and my G27 hasn't skipped a beat.

I think what the OP is referring to is like Dirt 2. The wheel can sometimes jerk pretty hard if you receive a lot of damage.
 
I think that definately it will shorten the wheel's lifespan because it is using the components more. I don't think any of the FFB in the game will instantly cause the wheel to fail though, they're designed to withstand it.

I do hate the grinding noises the G27 makes though, I'm considering buying some headphones to not have to hear it, makes me too nervous.
 
I can't say whether it is harder on the wheel or not but I feel the same way with damaged cars, it makes me nervous cause I don't want my wheel to break! I don't even drive the X1 anymore cause it seems like it is really hard on the wheel.
 
I was with my Carrera, crashed front left then boom, wheel was turning 900° all by itself and started rattling ect. I turned the wheel off and quit lol.
 
The damage ffb effects in this game are quite strong but nothing conpared to the calibration process on the pc. My DFGT was making all kinds of noises and cracks while going through that. I felt its pain lol
 
Back