Do you feel the slipstream effect for F1 vehicles realistic?

  • Thread starter Thread starter defaultoasis
  • 9 comments
  • 3,477 views
Messages
701
Messages
defaultoasis
As the title says, do you feel it's too strong, too weak, or just right? I've not really been following all the regulation changes since things like KERS kicked in, so I might not the person to comment here, but I definitely felt its difference to that of other cars, and to me, F1 never had drafting like NASCAR/sportscar racing.
 
As the title says, do you feel it's too strong, too weak, or just right? I've not really been following all the regulation changes since things like KERS kicked in, so I might not the person to comment here, but I definitely felt its difference to that of other cars, and to me, F1 never had drafting like NASCAR/sportscar racing.

F1 works very differently from NASCAR, touring cars, and so forth. The problem with something like F1 is that too much of an F1 car's performance comes from the chassis, with the car's aerodynamics meaning the world. If a Formula One car comes up behind another F1 car, it finds itself trailing in dirty air that is bad for its aerodynamics, so instead of helping the trailing car it actually hurts it.

This, I believe, isn't a problem in straights where the downforce isn't such a big deal, but when coming up behind a car in brake zones, corners, and exits from corners, drafting is a very bad thing in an F1 car.
 
That's what I mean, the aerodynamic effect created by F1 spoilers/rear bumpers is so complicated that the drafting effect will not show up. I'm just asking do you feel this in the game?
On the other hand, Bernie has been trying to make overtaking(isn't he?) easier and we see much different spoilers comparing to 4 or 5 years ago.
 
That's what I mean, the aerodynamic effect created by F1 spoilers/rear bumpers is so complicated that the drafting effect will not show up.

Yes it will in the real world. Slipstreaming is a very real issue, that has a lot of collisions (and overtakings) on its resume.

I'm just asking do you feel this in the game?

In all fairness, GT5 is a racing game (shoot me for not calling it a sim) If you want to feel everything, you need a real simulator. If you want a true F1 feeling, GT5 isn't really an option.

On the other hand, Bernie has been trying to make overtaking(isn't he?) easier and we see much different spoilers comparing to 4 or 5 years ago.

As long as driver safety has number one priority hands down, then it will be hard to make it much more friendly to overtaking than it is at the moment. (And it should ALWAYS be #1). In a few years, and many more billion of $, and engineers with no limitations, we could have cars being so fast that the human racers can't follow anymore. Most of the changes has come to give better safety somehow, and then some "counter meassures" to make it interesting again. If I remember correctly, there will be introduced turbos again in 2 years or so.

A short answer would be - I have NO idea, I don't usually take my F1 to work ;)
 
I watched every race last year on TV I also have the 2010 season review (go and buy/download it simply awesome all the highlights of every race!!) and there were people overtaking from slipstreaming down the straight in every race (except monaco), especially with F duct cars and the ones who are alleged to have flexible rear wings which are actually illegal. I don't know what eccelstone is going on about F1 is exciting to watch and there is plenty of overtaking.
 
Exactly - as Pat Symonds once said... an overtake should be the equivalent of scoring a goal in soccer rather than a try in rugger.

If cars could overtake THAT easily you'd see a procession of cars in order from fastest to slowest by the tenth lap of the race.

The new rear wings (now limited to a 600m zone of the main straight) aren't filling the drivers with confidence right now - they don't feel that overtaking will be any easier. I think the performance will come from the trick outlets (exhaust manifolds are still manageable) above the sidepods.

To get back On-Topic: It feels 'right' to me in GT5, the draft isn't as noticeable as it is in cars with a large frontal area. If you raced F1 cars against other cars in GT5P you'll have seen how tiny an F1 car actually is compared to a road car... so frontal area is tiny too.

Following another car through bends really does wash the front out in GT5 too - and that also feels 'right'.
 
In the game don't notice it. I've been playing around with thr F1 cars a lot specially in the Ferrari challenge and don't really see anything. Also like someone else said, drafting is different as compare to NASCAR.
 
The reason Drafting in F1 is not such a big factor is because the gearing on the cars are setup so they are only a few hundred revs from the limiter on the end of the straight to maximize straight line speed in qualifying and in race trim in clean air. So when they catch the slipsteam of another car they will usually just bounce off the rev limiter, which only give them a little speed advantage over the other driver. Also the draft has a lot of turbulence which means that their breaking distance, cornering speed is decreased and they tend to under steer, because they mainly loose grip on the front, which is a large disadvantage in the corners.
That said the overtakes in the slipstream does happen relatively often.
I don't think it is overdone in the game, i just think that it is a result of a not very optimized gear ratio that we usually use in the game. I for instance like to have a good thousand revs or so left at the end of the straight, because i am faster then the others anyway, and i can therefore use the slipstream more effectively to overtake.
 
I never drove an F1 car with other F1 car in front so i cant help you.
 
yeah it does and you can really hear if you are drafting if you listen well
 
Back