Do You Play an Uncommon Sport?

• Thread starter Turtle
  • 15 comments
United States
Portland, Oregon
As the title says, I thought it'd be pretty cool to see who on GTP plays sports that aren't ones you here about a whole lot. For example, here in Oregon, not many people would play the sport of cricket, so you could say that. Or maybe you might play pool, badminton, or croquet.

So tell us what uncommon sport you play, and if you want, maybe a little about how you play, or why you play it.

**Caution: Really Long Story Below!**

~Turtle
turtle.gif

I'll go first as an example. I go bowling. A lot. I mean the one with the gutters, ball, and ten pins. I bowl in a laid-back Adult/Jr. league with my dad, who picked up the sport a few years after I did, and we both love it.

I used to play football (Soccer), but I tore a muscle in my right leg, after refusing to stop running on it during training (Still hurts to walk up stairs at a brisk pace). So, that's why I started bowling, to still play a sport of sorts, without pushing my muscles too far.

Now, little story, I got my own ball, had it drilled and with rubber inserts to fit my hands. I got used to it after a few months, quickly learning how to hit the pocket (Head pin and the one immediately to the right of it.). Well right when I was getting good at the game, the alley I was in a league at burned up on the inside, and was closed.

Then, a few months ago, after hurting my leg again, much, much worse this time, I picked up the sport. But I was stronger, and while I used to throw my ball at 10MPH, I was throwing it 16-17 MPH, and I couldn't spin it enough to hook, so having my own ball was pointless. To make things worse, the thumb hole tore up my thumb, and I mean tore it up. As in a circular section covering the better part of my thumb where there was no skin, and it hurt too much.

A few months ago, I got myself a really nice new ball (A Motiv Primal Scream, for those interested) that cost me $250 bucks. It's heavier, so I don't throw it as fast, and it hooks a helluva lot, but it store tore up my thumb. To make matters worse, I couldn't release it correctly to really hook at all.

My solution? Bowl with two hands.

Yes two months ago, I started bowling putting only my ring and middle fingers in and holding it with two hands. It provided me with a plethora of advantages. I didn't hurt my thumb, I wasn't throwing it so fast, I hooked it a lot, and it looks really, really cool.

But there are disadvantages, the main one being it's tiring. Anyone who says bowling takes no energy is invited to bowl four games using two hands. It's because you have to have a lot of back muscles because you have to rotate your back to get a decent form, and after three games, you get really, really sore.

One of the other big ones is how risky it is. In order to hit the pocket correctly, I have to throw it within about two inches from the gutter, so there's no room for error, especially when that tiny bit of difference means a strike or putting it in the gutter.

The last one is the ten pin. For those who don't know the ten is the farthest back right pin, and with so much of a curve, I have to through one of the balls they have for anyone to use, at least until I get I spare ball, that is. That'll be nearly $200 dollars for the one I need.

*Phew* That's my story on why I play the sport I do. Of course, you don't need to make such a long winded post, I just like going into detail on things. :dopey:

~Turtle
turtle.gif

"Pocket Billards" - all day long.

Besides of that: Nothing uncommon. I´m just curious what people suggest to be "uncommon". Great thread. 👍

I play lacrosse in the Deep South, which is quite uncommon.

I am also a pretty good pool shot, I've been told on more than one occasion that I should take up hustling :lol:.

I catfish from a kayak. It's a thrill when you hook into a monster fish that pulls you around. It's better for the environment than an engine, it's extremely cheap to get a good boat and its also good exercise.

Exercise. Eggsercise. Eggs are sides.... For bacon!

The least common sport I play is Bowling, the same as yourself, GTTurtle.

Two of my friends play on a regular basis and have done for the past year and a half. I started going along with them to the local bowling alley just over half a year ago, around Christmas time. It was fun starting out, I didn't really take it that seriously but I always wanted to get over 100. That was always my aim. For the past three-four months we've been going pretty regularly, always trying to get there once a week at least.

This Tuesday just passed, I played my first ever 200 game. I was so pleased with myself. We were having a little competition between us to see who could get there first. Our previous bests were:

Me - 182 / G - 198 / N - 189

It's fun getting to know all the regular bowlers at the alley who participate in the leagues throughout the year. I must have made a good impression as the owner came over and shook my hand after watching the end of my match. A little punch in the air and a big grin on my face, all without my own ball. :D

My First 200 by GTPYukon, on Flickr

I think GTP member Tornado plays bowling too.

I play dodgeball at a competitive, international, level which is pretty uncommon. In just over a week I'm off to play in Belfast and then later in the year aim to take part in the European championships where national teams from Ireland, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland (who I play for, with 9 caps currently), France, Italy, Sweden, Romania, Finland, Austria and Slovenia will be competing in a two day tournament. Aiming to finish 3rd or 4th again as we have done before.

I play dodgeball at a competitive, international, level which is pretty uncommon. In just over a week I'm off to play in Belfast and then later in the year aim to take part in the European championships where national teams from Ireland, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland (who I play for, with 9 caps currently), France, Italy, Sweden, Romania, Finland, Austria and Slovenia will be competing in a two day tournament. Aiming to finish 3rd or 4th again as we have done before.

That. is. AWESOME! :cheers:

The least common sport I play is Bowling, the same as yourself, GTTurtle.

Two of my friends play on a regular basis and have done for the past year and a half. I started going along with them to the local bowling alley just over half a year ago, around Christmas time. It was fun starting out, I didn't really take it that seriously but I always wanted to get over 100. That was always my aim. For the past three-four months we've been going pretty regularly, always trying to get there once a week at least.

This Tuesday just passed, I played my first ever 200 game. I was so pleased with myself. We were having a little competition between us to see who could get there first. Our previous bests were:

Me - 182 / G - 198 / N - 189

It's fun getting to know all the regular bowlers at the alley who participate in the leagues throughout the year. I must have made a good impression as the owner came over and shook my hand after watching the end of my match. A little punch in the air and a big grin on my face, all without my own ball. :D

http://www.flickr.com/photos/95559674@N03/9266089588/
My First 200 by GTPYukon, on Flickr

I think GTP member Tornado plays bowling too.

Nice, that one pin and could of been 220's. feel the pressure a little?

Nice, that one pin and could of been 220's. feel the pressure a little?

Just a little. :lol:

I didn't know if I'd actually hit the 200 as I was quite nervous and wasn't checking the score. There was a few people watching too which added to it.

Back