Dodge Copperhead

United States
United States
As hard as I've tried, I can't get all golds in the A License. (Yes, I know I'm not very good.) The A-4 test with the Altezza and the A-9 test with the GTO are killing me. The closest I can get is about a tenth of a second off the gold time. I have a feeling I could get the gold in the GTO test with enough tries, but it feels like a waste of time because it doesn't seem humanly possible to get gold in the Altezza test (I've tried it hundreds of times).

Anyway, am I missing anything with the non-LM Copperhead? Are there any cars that drive like it available to a mere mortal like me?

Thanks

Nah, you're not missing out on much.

But keep trying, A isn't that difficult to gold. :)

(Though, in NTSC A-4 is .050 tougher to gold than PAL, but it's still very much doable.)

Last edited:
Heh, I love how you call it Copperhead (its true name). Dodge had to rename it from Copperhead to Concept Car after some other company which had to rights to Copperhead were about to get legal. :rolleyes:

I remember A4, my gosh. A3, I simply hummed that Honda (or whatever front-drive... pretty sure it was a Honda) through the turn. I figured the next car, the rear-drive Altezza, would be a cinch. But no... THAT is the one I remember getting stuck on. :mad:

According to Pupik's site, the non-LM version only had 353 horsepower, and I'm pretty sure that's full possible power. So only you can decide whether this is worth it.

Yeah, it's the Copperhead. (All apologies to Billy Gibbons of ZZ Top if he's reading this. Billy, please don't sue me.)

Anyway, huge HP isn't what makes a car good to me. It's more about power/weight ratio and handling. I really wanted the Copperhead in the game because I'm a Chrysler driver. I've owned two cars since I learned to drive 25 years ago and both were/are Chrysler convertibles. My Sebring has the 2.7L "LH" engine that the Copperhead has, even if it's been detuned a bit for fuel economy.

So thanks for the encouragement, but I'm out of patience with A-4, and I am playing the NTSC version with more difficult time.

Last edited:
If you have the means, going for all golds on the A License is definitely worth it to get your hands on the Copperhead. The power is relatively modest (216 horsepower stock, just over 350 maxed out) but the engine has a wide powerband and the car handles well. If you're willing to racing modify it (I get it if you wouldn't want to) you can turn it into a GT300 competitor. My only complaint is that the car could probably handle more power than you can throw at it, but I suppose that's what the LM Edition is for. Maybe they should have made the LM Edition the license prize and the regular Copperhead a prize in the Convertible Cup.

One thing to mention just in case is that some cheat codes and modifications that are often recommended actually affect lap times. If you're running the game at 60fps for example, it will be harder to match the license times.

Well, I got gold in the GTO test and it only took me a few minutes, so there's that.
I really hate the way this Altezza handles though. I'm not feeling gold like I was with the GTO. I could pile up silvers all day (and night) long, but I can't even get within a tenth of a second of gold. "Not that difficult"? LOL

Just wait until you get to International C's blind corners and Rome Circuit... :P

It's a shame the prize for all IC golds doesn't justify its difficulty.

Just wait until you get to International C's blind corners and Rome Circuit... :P

It's a shame the prize for all IC golds doesn't justify its difficulty.
I've never been able to do the Rome one legit. I've always wallrode that one to victory.

I've never been able to do the Rome one legit. I've always wallrode that one to victory.
To be honest, I didn't know that it could be cheesed until recently. I just figured the speed loss would be too great to allow for a gold time afterwards, so I did it the hard way.

Just wait until you get to International C's blind corners and Rome Circuit...
Nope, not even trying. I'll do the Laguna Endurance race if I really want a Dodge Stealth Mitsu 3000GT/GTO LM edition
Yeah, the Integra is easier to drive smoothly than the Altezza. What tests you struggling on?
I'm down to the Altezza test. (Yeah, the Integra tests were easy for me.) The Altezza seems to want to oversteer going in and understeer coming out. I wish I could tune it.

Nope, not even trying. I'll do the Laguna Endurance race if I really want a Dodge Stealth Mitsu 3000GT/GTO LM edition

I'm down to the Altezza test. (Yeah, the Integra tests were easy for me.) The Altezza seems to want to oversteer going in and understeer coming out. I wish I could tune it.
The '99 GTO LM from the Laguna endurance is better anyway. Though the Celica Rally Car is also great too.

I've actually recorded a couple GT2 playthroughs if you're curious how I golded all the licenses.

I've actually recorded a couple GT2 playthroughs if you're curious how I golded all the licenses.
Thanks, but I don't have much patience for video instruction. And even if I understand "how" to drive a test, the difficult part is getting my fingers to cooperate.

Maybe they should have made the LM Edition the license prize and the regular Copperhead a prize in the Convertible Cup.
No, they shouldn't have made any cars dependent on winning all golds. Cash/credit prizes would have been better, or at least, you should be able to buy the prize car.
Yeah, those times look difficult, especially the blind corner one. Just for "fun", I ran through the I-C, I-B, and I-A tests and silvered everything without too much issue. I feel like I should get a prize for that.

Last edited:
Thanks, but I don't have much patience for video instruction. And even if I understand "how" to drive a test, the difficult part is getting my fingers to cooperate.
Yeah, execution can be hard even if you know what you're supposed to do in principle. And with how short the test is the timing is going to be tight with minimal room for error.

I am playing GT2 again and so far I have gotten gold on B, A and working on IC now(IC4 was a pain in my ass).

While getting gold on B is easy and does give you a damn good car as a starter(Spoon S2000)
The Copperhead/Concept car is also a damn good starter.

What makes these licenses worse is getting things like this
1700566285697.png
1700565906460.png

@MMRivit how is that IC9 for you.

I do feel for BK4 who got 20.200 on IC4 and he raged when he got silver.

But my advice is break the test down into sections.
Focus on improving each section.
As @Indigo Mizumi mentioned, execution is hard.
I mean I know what to do for IC4, I know the speeds to take for the two turns, I know the braking point.
But the car likes to understeer one time, then power slide the next, the next time you start turning one or two frames too early and hit the wall.

I do NOT recommend you even attempt to gold International C
due to IC4 alone,
And IC4 test is faulty IMO.
Seems like when they were making the tests, they took IC3 which is the same car on same track but without the walls.
They just copied over IC3, changed the track and did not change times to reflect the fact that now you have walls which makes things much harder.
A time of 20.400 would've been good for gold or even 20.300 IMO.

I should have golded all tests soon and I will not only post videos but I will provide the memory card file too so you at least have all gold and 6 cars to use for the rest of the game.

Last edited:
Wrong, IC4 is not faulty. It was their full intention to keep the gold time the same, to demonstrate how much harder it gets with the walls. As you said, it's the exact same test, but with walls.

20.4 would be way too easy for gold, as would 20.3. But I think even 20.25, or nearly 20.3 would be the optimal gold time to make it challenging but far more doable.

Bottom line is, gold is supposed to be hard to attain, but some tests are harder than others. Every GT game has inconsistencies with the test difficulties, and in the end it depends on the player as well, as everyone finds the tests different.
To be honest, I didn't know that it could be cheesed until recently. I just figured the speed loss would be too great to allow for a gold time afterwards, so I did it the hard way.
IC-4 can also be cheesed...I've gotten like 19.8 by wallriding :lol:

Last edited:
Wrong, IC4 is not faulty. It was their full intention to keep the gold time the same, to demonstrate how much harder it gets with the walls. As you said, it's the exact same test, but with walls.

20.4 would be way too easy for gold, as would 20.3. But I think even 20.25, or nearly 20.3 would be the optimal gold time to make it challenging but far more doable.

Bottom line is, gold is supposed to be hard to attain, but some tests are harder than others. Every GT game has inconsistencies with the test difficulties, and in the end it depends on the player as well, as everyone finds the tests different.
But seeing as the test is an IC one, the level of difficulty is just way too high, heck even IA tests are not that hard.

The difficulty was just compounded by the car being a pain as it loves to understeer at times as well as get bouts of oversteer.

But seeing as the test is an IC one, the level of difficulty is just way too high, heck even IA tests are not that hard.
As I already said, inconsistency. IA is a joke compared to IC in the bigger picture.

S is a special case (no pun intended), however, as full laps allow for room for error, while short sections have to be nailed.

Last edited:
That's good to know, it should be useful for speedrunning purposes.
Not exactly. It's quite a precise trick to pull off, so you might as well do the test normally. Though I haven't exactly practiced the wallride, I know it's still tough to do consistently.

I've given up on it. I got better at it , with 19.4's consistently and the occasional 19.3xx, but my most "elite" run was 19.337. If only I'd been playing the PAL version..

And yeah, I'd rage if I got 19.300 exactly and still got silver. They programmed it as "<" instead of "<=" as if it wasn't difficult enough? Sigh...

Last edited:
As I already said, inconsistency. IA is a joke compared to IC in the bigger picture.

S is a special case (no pun intended), however, as full laps allow for room for error, while short sections have to be nailed.
The first two licenses I ever went for gold on were I-B and I-A, and that was on a keyboard. I-C is the most annoying and I wouldn't even say the prize car is worth it. I don't find the super license as hard. For a while I found the Midfield one to be hard until I found out you can gain a lot of time by shifting well before redline.

Also, I've never been able to gold IC-9 legit. I've always just wall rode it to victory.

Last edited:
Back