Does Accelerated tire wear apply to AI as well?PS4 

• Thread starter slthree
  • 10 comments
United States
Fact Central Florida
slthree
InI Career Mode, I'm trying to do the first race of Formula A at Red bull Ring and it is 35 laps

We are all using soft slicks and my tires are nearly gone at around lap 15-18

The AI seem to have much better grip and quickly overtake me. They don't appear to be suffering the same tire wear that I am.

The only reason they pit, at around lap 21, is for WET tires as it begins to rain.

When I set accelerated tire wear to 2x does it also affect the AI?

If it does, then perhaps somebody can give me suggestions on how to preserve my tires better?

Thanks guys

perhaps somebody can give me suggestion
I think the AI are supposed to have tyre wear. It's possibly down to which setup they and indeed you are using.

As default I'm not sure which setting, loose or stable, the AI uses. But with their strength set to 79 or above their setup is adjusted to suit the track and conditions, so maybe this is happening. You could try switching your setup or maybe use the race engineer and get him to make an adjustment or two.

Are you supposed to set tyre wear multipliers in career mode? Sorry if its a standard game option (I don't know) but its not something I'd do in career mode - more an option for quick race.
Next question. How do you know the AI are using softs?

Last edited:
Are you supposed to set tyre wear multipliers in career mode? Sorry if its a standard game option (I don't know) but its not something I'd do in career mode - more an option for quick race.
Next question. How do you know the AI are using softs?

I had set the Accelerated Tire Wear when i was doing 2 hour endurance races. I wasn't positive that it carried over to career but apparently it does:

I paused the game during the race and went to options. I wanted to switch from Accelerated to Normal but it was greyed out so I couldn't change it and it did say Accelerated

To check the tires, I retired to the pit box and selected "monitor" and then I selected several different drivers and up on the top right of the screen it always showed "soft slicks".

I eventually came out of the game and changed tire wear back to normal. I didn't realize that the options you change outside of career mode carried over in to the career.

Thanks for your reply - I didn't know you could do this to find out AI tyres :)

Yeah, I wish it was easier, maybe doing it from replay but
you have to go to the pit box to monitor, and if you're in that position in a race that means you're out of the race. Thank goodness for restarts.

I just thought of something. I think we can find out before the race what tires the AI will use by monitoring from practice and qualifying.

AI tire wear is definitely suspect if indeed modeled at all. Most likely they are programmed to change tires after certain intervals to slow them down in the pit as the lap times don't suffer.
Here is a classic example of wet tires not wearing out for the ai but wearing out for the human. One of my fave career races I was over 12 seconds ahead after 8 laps of 25 and posting better and better lap deltas then by lap 24 my tires were shot losing me several seconds per lap but the ai still posted the same times meaning I only just won the race by a second or two. Loved this race despite ai having a tire wear advantage (ie none!!).
One of those things about pcars you just have to ignore or else it will get to you!!

AI tire wear is definitely suspect if indeed modeled at all. Most likely they are programmed to change tires after certain intervals to slow them down in the pit as the lap times don't suffer.
Here is a classic example of wet tires not wearing out for the ai but wearing out for the human. One of my fave career races I was over 12 seconds ahead after 8 laps of 25 and posting better and better lap deltas then by lap 24 my tires were shot losing me several seconds per lap but the ai still posted the same times meaning I only just won the race by a second or two. Loved this race despite ai having a tire wear advantage (ie none!!).
One of those things about pcars you just have to ignore or else it will get to you!!

I'm pretty sure the AI do suffer from tyre wear. SMS began with ISIMotor2 which certainly includes AI tyre wear. Given all the extra things they now simulate compared to ISIMotor2 it would be bizarre if they removed this pretty basic feature. The problem of course is getting AI tyre wear to match player tyre wear, as player tyre wear is very dependent on driving style. If you slide, spin your driven wheels or lock your brakes, you will wear out your tyres much more quickly. In the above video, you seem to be pushing much harder than the AI and so its probably not surprising you suffered more tyre wear than the AI.

Did a bit of digging and found this answer to the question. It was asked about PC1 but no reason PC2 would be different. Doug914 is Doug Arnao, the SMS AI guy, so if anyone knows its him.

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?35848-AI-tire-wear-in-Career-Mode
Thank you for finding this. Your search skills are clearly better than mine. I think it's because I only searched in the PC2 forum.

But, I also like the information on HOW we drive. I'm guilty of sometimes not being as smooth as I could be and that may be why I have more tire wear than the AI

It used to be a common complaint about GT5 that the AI's tires lasted a million times longer than the players, but it was virtually if not all down to the way they drove. If you drove as ridiculously slow and smooth as the bots, your tires would last forever and a day too.

I don't know how well it matches up in pCARS 2, but driving style obviously can play a huge role. We know that the bots have a variety of odd results on wet tracks(dating back to the first game) and are seemingly unaffected by tire temperature, so it is understandable to question wear as well. I don't know if anybody has ever tried to extensively study AI tire life, but it's good to at least know that it's supposed to affect them fairly. :)

Back