Does altering FFB settings really make a difference?

Spooky Wooky

(Banned)
England
Downing Street
sp00ky-w00ky-
And why do most people use Jack Spades personal settings?

This is the first game I've played using a wheel (t300) and to me the FFB feel fine... although I have nothing to compare it to.

Will I get more enjoyment out of Project CARS by setting each car manually, what difference does it make?

Thanks

I used to have a T300, tried Jack Spades settings & preferred the default settings. Force-feedback seems to be very much a subjective thing going from all the various settings people are sharing. I'm a bit lazy and can't be bothered adjusting each car individually so if the default settings feels ok and has no clipping then I'm not the type to mess with them. I prefer to spend the little time I have for gaming tuning the car & racing.
You could try out different setting on a few cars and see if they give you more enjoyment or not, if there's no significant difference I'd say stick with the default.

I have found that changing the settings makes some small, but noticable, differences. I found the biggest difference in the Global settings, which gave more through the wheel responses. Some of Jack Spades settings where too strong for me and I had to dial them back.

I say try the settings in one car (I used Formula Gulf), if you find a preference then stick with it. You paid your money, you play the game how you like :cheers:

I find Jack Spades settings give a nice balance of the different forces so you can feel all of them, I use his Fy+SopLateral mostly. It's easy to make one force so strong it overpowers the others to the point you'd think there is nothing there.

There's are so many multipliers of the tyre forces that you can get the same outcome in a variety of ways, but why bother when the guy has done all the time-consuming work for you? And, if you prefer a different flavour it only requires a little change to one or two sliders.

To your last question, yes, some cars require very different settings to others.

Bookmark this web app, it has all the settings so only takes a minute to apply to each car.

But I've never driven these cars, how do i know what good FFb is?

That is a good question! I am not sure I have the right answer for you, or the words to describe adequately but here goes:

I think that Force Feed Back should be exactly that. It is a feedback to me, through my hands, of the forces going through the roadwheels of the car I am driving. It is exactly as it should be when I am driving my own car, if the road texture changes I want to hear it and feel it through my hands. When I am changing course or position in the road, losing traction or hitting something, I want to feel it through my hands as well as see it on the screen.

I don't know what any of the cars in Pcars feels like in real life, but when I run over a rumble strip, or lose traction, I know what feels right to me and that is why I tune FFB on each car at each track during free practise. I use Jack Spades Fy+SopLateral as well but sometimes find the master scale to strong/weak and use free practise to change.

The thing is that in reality some cars transfer more information through the wheel than others. In game however, FFB is pretty much the only thing you have to know what the car is doing, that's why you have things like SoP, which is basically transferring through the wheel what the rear wheels are doing (which you normally wouldn't feel through the wheel). So it's pretty subjective.

However, FFB deadzone (Deadzone removal range), clipping (FFB strength + gain + tire force + master level + car) and linearity (scoop and other compression settings) are objective (e.g. can be measured and modified accordingly) and yes, you should adjust them accordingly. Mileage per wheel may very though, e.g. a G27/G29 has a whopping FFB deadzone of at least 16% and is not very linear. So obviously, a G27/29 will benefit greatly from modifying settings. Wheels like the T300 suffer less from these issues, so there is less to be gained. Some high end wheels don't suffer at all, so there is even less to be gained with those.

I found some useful information recently at this link. I tried out a few of their settings and the difference is very easy to feel. The lite feeling wheel will take some getting use to, however the feel and information you receive from a lite wheel as compared to a heavy wheel, (heavy wheel =Force Feedback 100 and Tire Force greater than 80,) has to be tried to be believed.

Took me about 7 - 10 laps to get comfortable. My Tire Force use to be 84, I was thinking the harder to turn the wheel the more I was feeling and could drive better. How wrong was I. I have mine now at 55 and will probably go lower as I adjust some other factors. A work in progress.

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/sh...00-wheel-settings-post-you-preferred-settings

Back