Does anybody know for sure what the PAL F1 Cars are?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Swervster
  • 15 comments
  • 874 views
Messages
10
I know it' s been discussed before,but if everyone puts their F1 knowledge together maybe we can finally find what the 001 and 002 are based on.My suspicions are that they're either-
Polyphony 001-
-Williams Renault FW16
-A totally made up car
-An F094/S hybrid
-A Tyrell '95(it had the weird front wing supports)
Polyphony 002-
-An F688/S Hybrid
-A totally made up car
-A real Turbo F1 Car,eg a Ferrari or Leyton House are candidates.
 
I'm convinced that the Polyphony001 is the Post-Imola-1994 Benetton as driven by Schumacher et al.

Here's what I wrote on the subject previously:
I may well be wrong on this, but the Polyphony001 looks strikingly like the 1994 Benetton, with the torpedo nose, and the very-close-set front wing pillars. The hole in the back of the airbox gives it away as a post-May 94, pre-1995 car because the FIA demanded holes in the airbox to reduce intake pressure, but in '95 they'd gone down to 3L. The '94 Williams had a squarer-section nose, because that vintage car was designed by Adrian Newey, who was using a wide aperture between the wing supports, coupled with a flat upper nose section, and a W-shaped under-nose section to create a venturi between the front wheels. It took him until 1998 to get it right though! Also, the Williams of that year was using rear-wing sub-elements (the sections of wing just above the chassis mounting) that were curved up in a sort-of hump-back-bridge profile, whereas the Benetton had straight sub-elements.
 
Yeah,but the '94 Benneton had a V8 Engine,and the 001 has a V10,and as well as that it has very thin front wing supports,whereas the B194 had very wide front wing supports.
 
I dont know which benneton its supposed to be its beeeeeeeeeeuuuutiful.
 
Polyphony 002-
it is an indy car because it has turbo it also looks like an indy car
 
I've found out what the 001 is!I just yesterday put this in my Guide-
At last!I think I've finally cracked the mystery of what real life car the Polyphony 001 is based on.After studying lots of cars for part of my homework assignment,at the excellent French site,F1-Legend.com,a walking encylopedia of almost every F1 Car,including detailed pics of every major team's every car from Alfa Romeo to Williams.Anyway,after looking through all the major cars of 94-95,I can confirm that,although lots of cars had bits similar to the 001,no car ever existed exactly like it.However,I was looking again at the F094/S,and realised that the car is exactly the same from the nose cockpit opening backward,to the Williams FW16.But it has a straight,tall,high nose with close front pillars.So where did this come from?Well,Polyphony Digital are no aerodynamacists,so I'm pretty sure they didn't make it up themselves,but it seems that to avoid the licensing problems,they decided to find a high nose from another F1 car as similar as possible to the Williams from the next year.Bring on the mid-90's Tyrell,or more precisely the '97 Tyrell-Yamaha.A high tall nose,with the same underneath sweep and the same curvy front wing endplates,and the front wing at the very end of the car.It fits;so there you go.The Polyphony 001 appears to be a 1994 Williams-Renault FW16/1997 Tyrell-Yamaha Hybrid.
 
I thought Arrows had the Yammaha Engine in 1997? im probably wrong, but wasnt that the car that damon hill drove?

I cant remember there being a tyrell in 1997

:confused:
 
Originally posted by GT3DownUnder
Polyphony 002-
it is an indy car because it has turbo it also looks like an indy car

I thought that for awhile but then I realised that the 002 has a V6 engine and I though that indy cars had V8`s?
 
Originally posted by GT3DownUnder
Polyphony 002-
it is an indy car because it has turbo it also looks like an indy car
I think we'd worked out the Poly002 was the '88 McLaren, although I harbour suspicions there's a lot of mid 80's Lotus in there.

Also - the '97 Tyrell ran the Ford motor (remember the X wings?)

11178.jpg


Tyrrell ran the little Yamaha motor in 1996 - it was a pretty tidy little car that year - remember Katayama at Hockenheim?

11177.jpg
 
Where did you get those pics from?I searched for those cars but it came up with nothing.Anyway,it's definetely the '96 Tyrell(bottom pic)from which the nose is stolen;that '97 car is a terrible looking thing...
 
Oh,and I believe the 002 is probably an '88 McLaren-Honda Turbo hybrid yeah,as it has a Lotus style roll bar and front wing endplates.
 
Hey I remember that tyrell now. I kept mistaking it for the bloody stewart because the colours looked simmilar
 
Originally posted by Swervster
Where did you get those pics from?I searched for those cars but it came up with nothing.Anyway,it's definetely the '96 Tyrell(bottom pic)from which the nose is stolen;that '97 car is a terrible looking thing...

www.forix.com

Not much Tyrrell stuff around now, which is a shame because they were a very innovative team.
 
Yeah,I know.The P34 Six Wheeler was something you'd think only Chapman would have been bold enough to try,and remember the 1990 Tyrell with which Alesi led at Phoenix was the first car ever to use the raised front wing.I hope that car is in the next GT,and in the PAL Version...
 
They are both F1 cars, the 002 is the 688/s which is the 88 Mclaren driven by Senna the 001 is the 94/s williams driven by Senna with the 95 front wing.
 
I just said above,it's not that straightforward.The 002 is a McLaren 88/S,MP4/4 hybrid,probably a hybrid with an 80's Lotus.And the 001 is indeed the Senna FW16(F094/S),but it has the '96 Tyrell front wing.
 
Back