Does anyone want some editing competitions?

• Thread starter SVX
  • 12 comments

What editing competitons would you want?

• Photo Mode Competition

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • 2.0 (More editing)

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • CCCL (Certain Car Certain Location)

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Something else (please post)

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Niether

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SVX

The White Comet
Premium
New Zealand
Wellington
Hello,

Would anyone want anymore editing competitions? Right now there is one comp going, and that's the Unedited competition. Or does not many people have editing programs? The Competitions in question are: PMC, 2.0 and CCCL.

I would definitely be up for some more comps. I think it is ridiculous to hold the comps off for GT5. In my opinion, there should be two divisions of the comps, one for GT4 and one for GT5. A lot of us do not have a PS3 or GT5, and don't plan on getting them anytime soon.

Also, just running one single competition is killing Photo-Mode for GT4. The latest downfall started when the comps started running 'FINAL' Tournaments a year ago. Then all the hosts started suspending their comps., awaiting the arrival of GT5. Now there is very little done in people's galleries and virtually zero traffic in the Photo-Mode areas of this site.

I hope we can muster another revival of GT4 PM, as long as there are enough competitions to keep people interested, and keep traffic up. The magic number of Comps. seemed to be 3-5 in the past. Also in the past, Unedited, PMC, and 2.0 seemed to be a mainstay, and then there was always 2 or 3 others running like drift, scenery, and custom.

I would definitely start entering comps again, if there were more entries and interest. I like Un-edited, PMC, 2.0, and Drift comps, I really miss the drift comps, as they always provided more action shots.

PMC, CCCL and 2.0 would be awesome, and a drift would be cool too. What about a Head2Head competition?

H2H would be cool, but there has to be enough interest to get good voting numbers.

I was thinking maybe a few stand alone comps may build some interest, something with a long deadline, and heavy graphics editing, something the could entice some of the PM Veterans to return, to show-case what to strive for in quality. Get some more of those beautiful works of art up here, so the newer entrants know what PM can be.

Off the top of my head a few stand-alone comp themes: Prototype Police Cruiser (create a prototype cop car with only GT4 elements, open edit), Doomsday War-Machines (create a war machine out of GT4 elements, open edit), and High-Speed Destruction (create a detailed car wreck scene using only GT4 elements, open edit)

But the interest has to increase, 5 vote polls are not good polls, and don't produce a clear winner.

EDIT:Maybe we should have a showcase thread here, linking to some of the best past entries, would take quite a bit of researching though. (just throwing out ideas here...)

Last edited:
Ahoy guys!

I don't think you'll see a return to the turn-outs we enjoyed years ago, ever :(. While it was fun, the vast majority of us have moved on to GT5. It doesn't mean there aren't people still playing GT4, some of which probably have no plans to move to GT5 in the foreseeable future, but that's a minority. Plus, you'd have a hard time convincing people to come back to a game that, in the case of the more open-edit comps, required hours of work to create something that can be done pretty simply in-game these days ;).

GT4 did do some things quite a bit easier than GT5, bizarrely though, and I wish you guys the best of luck with continuing the comps in the future for those users who are around 👍

No doubt, we'll never see the turnouts of years ago, back when comps got 20+ entries in just about every comp. Hopefully though we can get a group together that are still stuck with GT4, and like the photo-mode aspect and the competition. Of course it would have to be a core group of around 10 entering comps, and right now I don't see that kind of activity. The other issue I see is the voting, even 10 votes doesn't really provide a clear winner sometimes.

The only thing that gives me hope is the posts in the GT1, GT2, and GT3 areas of this forum, even the older/inferior games get played. But considering there has been little response to this thread I'm still a bit skeptical of a competitive revival.

2.0 please =)

No doubt, we'll never see the turnouts of years ago, back when comps got 20+ entries in just about every comp. Hopefully though we can get a group together that are still stuck with GT4, and like the photo-mode aspect and the competition. Of course it would have to be a core group of around 10 entering comps, and right now I don't see that kind of activity. The other issue I see is the voting, even 10 votes doesn't really provide a clear winner sometimes.

The only thing that gives me hope is the posts in the GT1, GT2, and GT3 areas of this forum, even the older/inferior games get played. But considering there has been little response to this thread I'm still a bit skeptical of a competitive revival.

i am still stuck with my ps2! hahaha

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, I'm sure there probably is at least 10 or so who still have an interest in GT4's Photomode... but it's probably on a lesser level of enthusiasm than we all enjoyed half a decade ago. The issue might be that having a comp last only a week just isn't long enough; people float in and out of the other game sub-forums, meanwhile you have us fanatics posting on a very, very regular basis in the GT5 one.

This might have something to do with the huge wait between GT4 and GT5, and the fact that more so than any previous game, GT5 gives us very little reason to go back to GT4, feature-wise. GT1 is the obvious original, and GT2 has a huge list of cars never seen again, as examples. GT5 brought us basically all our GT4 cars back (with less customization though :( ), and improved graphics. Though we're missing a fair chunk of tracks, and the Photo Travel locations are arguably less exciting (though better looking).

It's probably way too early to make this call, but I have a feeling GT4 won't be visited for nostalgia as much as the past games were. You've gotta find those people who don't have access to GT5 yet ;).

So 2.0? Shall we have it as a trial to see how much interest before we bring back any other competitions?

Ok, I'll go make up the new one.

EDIT:
Welcome to Week 121 of the

Week 119 Winner: MinoltaMan89

ThemeBN-2.jpg

"Profiles"

Cars: Any
Tracks: ANY
Phototravel: ANY
Poll Size: 5
Further explanation of the theme:
Just take a shot of a car from the side.

RulesBN-3.jpg

• You may submit one entry. It must be your own work and not previously entered in a competition.
  • You may only change your entry once. When changing it, indicate clearly (please, when doing this, edit your post with your new entry, do not submit a new post with a new entry)
  • Please mark your Final Entry clearly.
  • Your entry may not exceed the poll character limit of 200 characters. If your entry exceeds it, the link to the full size image, will be removed.
  • We recommend you use a free image hosting service such as or
  • You must post your entry either as a thumbnail, or as a preview linked to the full image - see here for instructions .
  • Previews should be no larger than 400 pixels along the longest side - be it vertical or horizontal - and should not have more or less effects than the full size image.
  • Photos must be taken from a normal version of GT4, do not use any cheats or Game Shark codes to modify the game content.
  • Please do not ask other members to choose your entry. Have confidence in your own skills and go with your favorite shot.
  • The theme chooser cannot enter the competition he is judging.

Allowed Photoshop tools list:

• Lasso
  • Crop
  • Clone Stamp
  • Smudge - Blur - Sharpen Tools
  • Dodge - Burn - Sponge Tools
  • Gradient

Allowed Photoshop adjustments:

• Levels
  • Curves
  • Color Balance
  • Brightness/Contrast
  • Black & White
  • Hue/Saturation (you may adjust however you wish)
  • Desaturate
  • Photo Filters
  • Shadow/Highlight
  • Exposure

Allowed Photoshop Filters:

• Blur
  • Distort > Diffuse Glow
  • Noise
  • Render > Lighting Effects
  • Sharpen
  • Other > High Pass

[Note:No plug-ins for any of the above adjustments or filters are to be used]

What you may not do to a photo.

• You may not alter the geometry of the car. This includes adding body kits, stickers, etc.
  • You may not add/remove anything from the car (spoilers, carbon fiber, intercoolers...not even if you use allowed tools/effects) RIMS ARE THE EXCEPTION FOR ADDITIONS.
  • Nothing from outside GT4 may be added to your photo.

What you may do a photo:

• You may migrate wheels from phototravel to in-game photomode
  • scale (or enlarge) rims
  • remove license plates

DeadlineBN-2.jpg

-Dec 15th-

I'm going to PM MinoltaMan89 to see what he would like the theme to be.

Have I got it right, was week 120 the last week?

Last edited:
lol i forgot. it was a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong time ago i think. btw do you think we can do something like open edit rules? like let people use as many tools, masks, filters as they wish. but the bottom line is not to alter (add parts on the original picture) the original. I think that will bring out a lot of photoshop experts and i think we could all learn from them.

Yeah, we could make it like the GT5 comps, H2H some weeks and normal other weeks, and the theme chooses. Great idea!

Back