Does car audio (aftermarket) matter anymore?

Like all car modifying fads, things move on. Owners have quit filling their boots with huge oversized subs and amps with blue neon lights and now want 'stance'. Heavily lowered with huge oversized (or tiny undersized if you've got an older VW or JDM import) wheels with as little tyre as possible are the flavour of the day.

I think even THAT is starting to get old hat (there's nothing tackier than seeing a classic muscle car with 20 inch rims and tires the thickness of a fridge magnet). the only modding I'd do would be getting more visible lights in the things
 
Sniffs
I think even THAT is starting to get old hat (there's nothing tackier than seeing a classic muscle car with 20 inch rims and tires the thickness of a fridge magnet). the only modding I'd do would be getting more visible lights in the things

I always liked the stealth approach, keep a car stock on the outside with no more than 17" alloys and a small, discreet but decent audio system. Then up the car's power to a sufficient level to surprise people without them assuming you are an idiot with too much money and no taste.

On topic, I believe that because most cars now have good enough audio systems as standard (with iPod/aux-in etc) there is much less need for fancy set-ups.

I would only ever change the head unit if it stops working as there is no real benefit unless I spend ££££ on one. A mate of mine had all manner of audio equipment in his MK2 golf, sounded worse than my stock Skoda set up as there was just too much bass and reverb. No benefit to all the time and money he spent.
 
I think even THAT is starting to get old hat (there's nothing tackier than seeing a classic muscle car with 20 inch rims and tires the thickness of a fridge magnet). the only modding I'd do would be getting more visible lights in the things

I always see tacky rims on civics and jettas around here, albeit not horrifically lowered.
 
I always see tacky rims on civics and jettas around here, albeit not horrifically lowered.

the rims nowadays are the same size they were in the 30's. my step-father's antique ran on 19's, and I bet anything you could fit modern 19's with lo pros on that and not snap off the speedo cable.

no, as long as manufacturers just slap modern tread on classic sizes, I'd be happy.

as for audio, I've had to keep the radio OFF just to hear my crews. since they don't have technology to talk over, they almost whisper, even when they're talking to you a foot away.
 
I personally think aftermarket car audio systems are extremely important to a car's overall appeal factor, every car I own, I will make it a mission to give the stereo a major upgrade.

Personally, I've always been (and probably always will be) a CD guy, so having a good stereo to me is important to get the most out of the lower compression on a disc versus, say, an MP3. I've got complete Pioneer top-shelf everything in my car and it sounds amazing - whenever I'm in anyone else's vehicle the stereo doesn't even compare. But then again, I always drive with the windows down and the music cranked, which not everyone does... but I think aftermarket stereos will always have a place for audiophiles and people who want a touch of individuality and panache.

Most stock stereos can't even compare to aftermarket units, even on higher-end vehicles, so I think as long as the qualitative gap remains aftermarket will be popular.
 
The manufacturers have started installing better stereo systems in the cars, knowing that people will gladly pay for a factory stereo which makes it an instant profit center for them. Most people are not audiophiles and used to only upgrade their car stereos because the ones from the factory were garbage. That is not the case anymore. Factory stuff is as good as aftermarket stuff from 10 years, and if its good enough, why change it?

Car audio used to be an afterthought; not anymore. Used to be four speakers was all you got. Not any more. You rarely got a separate amp. Not anymore.

Also, we used to have lousy factory stuff; no tape deck in economy cars up to the late 80s, or tape decks when the market had moved to cds, so when we were upgrading, normally it was because the medium was different. Now that cds have stabilised in the market, the need to upgrage to play your music has shifted ever so slightly to aux inputs and usb ports; which coupled with the decent stereos coming from the auto manufacturers means most people are willing to just to get an aux cable installed on their car and are satisfied with that.
 
It's still going in the UK, but I think it's either the crowd still mourning the death of Max Power, or those who've bought a cheap car with a biblically awful stereo - the Citroen C1 for example, which has the worst pair of speakers in the world embedded in its dashboard.

I did think about changing the stereo in my car, until I realised that it's made of the kind of metal you cook your turkey in, and that maybe that wasn't the best basis for a posher stereo. Not to mention it'd be stolen before I even got to choose the radio presets.
 
On topic, I believe that because most cars now have good enough audio systems as standard (with iPod/aux-in etc) there is much less need for fancy set-ups.

I have $206 dollars of cheap stereo equipment in my truck, that blows out the Mach and Shaker systems in Fords, sounds much better than basic stereos in the Escape, Kills the top of the line Hyundai Elantra system, and the Cobalt SS bose system, to name a few.

Because of that I still think factory stuff really sucks. I have a cheap Xplod head unit, 2 cheap (about to replaced) xplod door speakers, 2 little horn tweeters, 2 JVC surround sound tower speakers, and 2 stock chevy silverado 4x6's. And a 10 inch pioneer sub that cost $55 new 6 years ago, running off a 50 dollar 300w Dual 2ch amp.

For those of you counting, that's a total of 9 speakers, 1 amp, and 480 watts peak power, in a regular cab pickup

If I can be that cheap and beat every single factory system I've ever heard, that doesn't bode well for the whole "their quality is better"
 
The manufacturers have started installing better stereo systems in the cars, knowing that people will gladly pay for a factory stereo which makes it an instant profit center for them. Most people are not audiophiles and used to only upgrade their car stereos because the ones from the factory were garbage. That is not the case anymore. Factory stuff is as good as aftermarket stuff from 10 years, and if its good enough, why change it?

While I do agree that factory stereos have come a long way in the past 10-15 years, that doesn't necessarily exclude aftermarket units from most people's lists. People today have grown so accustomed to amazing, crystal clear sound in their homes (the rise of the home theater with 10.1 surround sound, high-tech acoustical microphones that map out individual rooms for better sound distribution, improved speaker technology, etc.), that the natural progression is that people will eventually expect this in their cars as well.

No matter what car you buy off the lot, you know that the stereo was contracted out with a premise resembling something along the lines of 'how can we make the best mass-produced stereo for $XXX per unit, and not a penny over'. Unless your car is a Rolls-Royce or a Maybach or something of that caliber, quality generally takes a back seat, as you say, to quantity (profit).

With the aftermarket companies, their sales models are based on people expecting a bump in sounds quality and thus they have to build them to a certain higher standard so people will buy them. Even the lower end aftermarket units compare favourably alot of the time to factory units in most cars. This is really why I think aftermarket will continue to thrive and keep apace with the sound revolution in the home environment.
 
Most stock stereos can't even compare to aftermarket units, even on higher-end vehicles, so I think as long as the qualitative gap remains aftermarket will be popular.

+1 here. My setup of just four speakers and a 12" sub pretty much matched and/or surpassed what you hear in the $40,000 Honda Accord Euro with 9.1 speakers that my dad owns. I believe that stereo's rated at 800W. And my headunit has more connectivity along with an iPod input that actually works.
 
While aftermarket sound systems should always be a step up, because of the increase in stock quality and the option of upgrading the system from the dealer when you buy the car, most people's sound needs are met.

Most people want a decent stereo with a cd and an iPod connection. You have to scrape the bottom of the barrel these days to not get that as standard or a small cost option.

It's only the customers that want really good sound (a minority now given the above) that will consider an aftermarket set-up. Add in the fact that headunits are integrated into the dash and an aftermarket unit will stand out like a sore thumb, many will just not bother.

Yes, an aftermarket system is better, but if the standard is good enough for the user, they won't feel inclined to change it.
 
Just ripped out the Bose system in my car and replaced it with my stash. My God, that made a difference...doesn't take up any more room either. For $20, I even got an AUX input adapter thing.

Almost forgot a car can sound that good.
 
Back