Does F1 still need backmarker teams?Formula 1 

• Thread starter DK
  • 36 comments

Do you think F1 still needs backmarker teams?

• Yes

Votes: 79 96.3%
  • No

Votes: 3 3.7%

• Total voters
What we all want to see is F1 being the pinnacle and fastest cars in the world. The only way to do this is Aerodynamics.

We tried less downforce in 2014, and the cars were boring and slow. This year is the best we've seen in a while, so enjoy it.

I think you may be underestimating the talents of people like Adrian Newey .

If you convert energy from standing air then the disturbance and pressure state takes time to replenish. That replenishment is out of the control of the car that has passed, the car that is approaching, and even out of the control of Adrian Newey. Centre-line limitations of the types we've seen proposed will mitigate against some of that but at the cost of a lot of downforce - because the only way to reduce wake is to reduce how much of a bite the car takes out of the air.

As for the rest of your argument , thank you for so abely proving my point . By reducing grip below 100mph you would be making the driver work much harder in the braking and acceleration phases and thereby making overtaking more likely.

Nope, you missed the point and read what you wanted to read. The drivers do that now. By changing the formula you'll still see exactly the same relative abilities. Hint - every time the formula has changed that's been true.

It doesn't matter what you do, there will always be backmarkers. If you remove the 5 slowest teams, it is a statistical and mathematical certainty that the cars in 8th, 9th and 10th will be 'backmarkers'.

I don't know the name for this phenomenon but it must have one. It's like other statistical anomalies where, no matter what you do, there will always be someone or something that meets the criteria whether the criterion is ignominious or not; largest town without a railway station, most league goals in football without playing for your country or oldest person who has never smoked.

Why don't you ask Niki Lauda how many friends he lost to cars with too much power and not enough downforce?

Basically you've got your opinion and I've got mine .

But right now I'm off to see what's left in the fridge .

Ciao bella .

Why don't you ask Niki Lauda how many friends he lost to cars with too much power and not enough downforce?

I'm sure his answer would be that he lost most of them to tracks with no doctors, to cars with no crash protection, to fuel fires caused by a lack of containment, to trees, to shoddy armco... the fact is that drivers will push their cars to the limit of the grip. It doesn't matter where you place that limit, they'll drive to it. The challenge (which motorsport has thankfully has risen to) is to protect as many drivers and fans from the effects of that limit-finding as possible.

Basically you've got your opinion and I've got mine.

Of course. The problem is when you re-invent physics as fact, you should probably try to avoid that.

Ciao bella .

Wrong sex, sorry to disappoint.

Basically you've got your opinion and I've got mine .

But right now I'm off to see what's left in the fridge .

Ciao bella .

What does this have to do with anything you originally said for one, and two back marker teams. Are you suggesting that backmarker cars are over powered and lack down force. Also what about cars with better downforce back then that still killed drivers. I can name some Ferrari drivers that died, or Lauda himself nearly dying. Oh and what about the highest down force car of the time killing a driver in arguably the best engine you could strap to it.

If you haven't a clue it hardly makes sense to pretend if others aren't going to catch you on it.

Last edited:
What if F1 teams still suffered regular DNF's? Most of F1 averaged about 60% finish rates back in the 70's, so the whole front of the grid might stop for various mechanical/engine failures. The lack of consistent winners -- because the tech was pushed right to Colin Chapman's edge -- made the series exciting (IMHO). And the best teams were both fast and reliable. I think that scenario also makes being a backmarker team (especially with points out to 10th) more appealing. The odd underfinanced privateer (EG. Ensign, Iso, Hill, Tyrrell in the 80's) finishing in the points was possible.

Back