Does Formula 1 support G-25 6-speed shifter?

• Thread starter Joshuax
  • 24 comments
dbrandes@sjrwmd.com
Does Formula 1 support the Logitech G-25 6-speed shifter? My 6-speed shifter is not working with Formula 1 and I am trying to figure out if something is wrong with my new hardware or it the game does not support it. The paddle shifters on the wheel work fine.

Thanks. But now I have to figure out why it is not working for me. Either I am missing somethign very simple or I have a defective unit. I will try to see what I can find out from Logitech but so far they have been useless on any other thing I have tried to ask them.

Wouldn't the H-shifter be uselss anyway even if it did work. Current F cars have 7 gears don't they, and the H-shifter has 6. Besides that, an F1 car has paddles not a H gate, so using the H shifter wouldn't be right anyway.

As Dave has pointed out, F1 cars do not have a 6 speed, H-gate shifter, so why would it work in game?

F1 cars use paddles and I would assume the game does likewise.

Yes, I know F-1 cars have used paddle shifters for years. F-1 is not why I bought the G25. I am getting ready for GT-5. Plenty of production cars use H shifters, including my Camaro SS. That is the realism I am looking for. F-1 and DiRT happen to be what I have on hand to test the shifter with and I can't get it to work with either one. I thank those people who gave me information about compatibility of the G25 with F-1. I can't see why the rest of you are bothering to debate whether somebody should be using the H shifter or not. Can anybody out there with a G25 of their own shed some light on my problem?

I looked closer at the site that __V__ guided me to and discovered that I had missed the vital information I needed. F-1 supports the G25 but not the 6-speed H shifter, which is quite logical as many of you have said. It appears that GT-5 will support the 6-speed H shifter since Logitech released the GT25 in Japan to coincide with the release of GT-5 Prelude and GT-5 is what I want the shifter for. But I still want to test it to make sure it works while it is under warranty. Considering how long it will be until GT-5 comes out, I will have to find another Game to test my shifter on. According to information at http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/265/3932&cl=us,en, only two PS3 games ccurrently support the 6 speed shifter, Ridge Racer 7 and Nascar '08. Looks like I will have to get one of them. This marks the end of this thread for me for now.

Quite confused about your questions joshuax.

F1:CE does support G25 - but not the H shifter or clutch. (Once you try shifting from 7th gear to 1st in F1:CE as you brake from 200mph to 40mph, you will appreciate why F1 cars do not have gated shifters!)

GT5P demo supports H shifter (although the clutch is not required to shift), so you could check the function of the H-shifter by downloading the demo.

Personally, I am not that impressed by the function of the H-shifter - although it definitely works, it feels a bit toy-like compared to the other components of the G25.

I can assure you, that even without the H-shifter & clutch, the G25 is still a great purchase - significantly nicer to use than the DFP.

Or if you have a PC (I assume you do, unless you're one of the rare Mac users) you could get the demo of Live For Speed and use it for testing. Only around 150 MB to download and 500 MB to install. And a lot of fun even from the demo.

Or if you have a PC (I assume you do, unless you're one of the rare Mac users) you could get the demo of Live For Speed and use it for testing. Only around 150 MB to download and 500 MB to install. And a lot of fun even from the demo.

Thanks. I will try one or both of the downloads.

question. does the g25 turn 200 degrees in this game or is still 900?

Very very old post, but I have to bump it. I'm seriously considering buying a steering wheel and so far the G25 looks like the one to go for. But i'm mainly into F1 racing games rather than anything else, and I'm assuming this wheel wouldn't exactly be very helpful if it doesn't lock like a real F1 car at about 200 degrees. Anyone able to shed any light on this? Pleeeease?

Shaggy: it does not lock at 200 degrees, which is somewhat of a disadvantage in F1CE - in fact it's the only reason why you're so much faster than me. :sly:

In practice, this means I have a tendency to over-rotate the wheel when I'm negotiating a tight corner in F1CE, which could waste a tiny bit of time. If you were only getting a wheel for F1CE, or other F1 games I would suggest getting the DFP, which also has more conveniently positioned buttons, although the G25 has proper paddles unlike the DFP.

The main reason for buying the G25 over the DFP is better build quality - leather steering wheel & steel pedals - somewhat smoother FFB, H-shifter & clutch. These would be more relevant to other, non-F1 driving games like GT5P & Ferrari Challenge or PC games.

Shaggy: it does not lock at 200 degrees, which is somewhat of a disadvantage in F1CE - in fact it's the only reason why you're so much faster than me. :sly:

In practice, this means I have a tendency to over-rotate the wheel when I'm negotiating a tight corner in F1CE, which could waste a tiny bit of time. If you were only getting a wheel for F1CE, or other F1 games I would suggest getting the DFP, which also has more conveniently positioned buttons, although the G25 has proper paddles unlike the DFP.

The main reason for buying the G25 over the DFP is better build quality - leather steering wheel & steel pedals - somewhat smoother FFB, H-shifter & clutch. These would be more relevant to other, non-F1 driving games like GT5P & Ferrari Challenge or PC games.

Although F1 is my passion, I can see myself picking up a copy of GT5P and maybe Grid for christmas and with that in mind the G25 looks absolutely brilliant, with the clutch and H pattern gears and everything. Also, for F1 the gear paddles are an absolute must. Does the DFP not have them at all, just the manual gear stick? Because if it didn't, I think that over anything else would put me off it.

Also, is the lock adjustable for different wheels? I actually read a comment on youtube of some guy saying you could adjust the G25 so it locks earlier. I'm assuming it wouldn't be much fun to drive an F1 car with 900 degree lock. Just think of Loews hairpin :grumpy:. If I could adjust it so that it's only 300 degrees lock I would imagine that that is tolerable for an F1 experience. BTW when i say adjustable lock, I don't just mean in the game. I mean can the lock on the actual steering wheel be changed so that if the game lock is changed, that you don't keep turning even after the in-game wheel has locked? If that makes any sense.

Thanks for your help Biggles 👍

Last edited:
The DFP has something kind of half-way between a button & a paddle - sort of a little lever. It functions perfectly, but not quite as convincing to use as the G25's paddles.

I don't think you can lock the G25 at 200 degrees for F1CE (unless you can & I haven't figured out how to do it), but I believe you can with the DFP - perhaps someone else (Fishfash ?) can confirm this.

As I tried to explain, in F1CE when I come to a tight turn, I have a tendency to instinctively turn the G25 wheel well beyond the point where the wheel is actually "turning" in the game. This is not a major issue, but presumably makes my steering action somewhat less "efficient" than it should be. IRL it would waste a lot of energy over the course of a race, in the game it's not that significant.

Strictly for F1CE the DFP might be a better value for money than the G25. For GT5P/GT5 (& Ferrari Challenge which I would take over Grid any day), the G25 is way more fun to use: with far superior pedals, H-shifter, clutch, leather steering wheel & cool look & feel. 👍

Theres no external or mechanical way to adjust the lock on the G25 as it comes from the store. Or at least thats not a regular feature.
The amount of lock it does have can take getting used to in tight corners - just like Biggles says. Its not really a problem but yeah, you can easily find yourself turning the wheel more than it needs turning.

Just to let you know i've decided to opt for the G25. It seems to me that it's just about the best wheel money can buy all round and therefore still very good for F1 games. So it's ordered, along with copies of Grid and GT5 Prologue. Life goes on after F1 after all. Thanks for all your advice though guys :) 👍

I wonder if you can use the software that the G25 comes with on the PC and program it so it locks at whatever degree and then plug it into your PS3? It is odd that they never came out with a patch to support somthing like that.

I don't think you can lock the G25 at 200 degrees for F1CE (unless you can & I haven't figured out how to do it), but I believe you can with the DFP - perhaps someone else (Fishfash ?) can confirm this.

Yep, the G25 doesn't lock at 200 degress in F1CE. The DFP actually locks at 180 degrees which makes it even better than the G25 and IMO is the best wheel for F1CE.

The DFP will give you up to another 0.5 of a second per lap.

Overall the G25 is the better wheel, and works a treat with GT5P.

👍

Back