Does GT Sport have any essential cars to own like the 2J was in GT6?

United States
Tennessee
tnfedexman
I’m not grinding for credits like I used to and I probably won’t be buying all the cars like I used to.

Which cars are absolute must haves? I’m up to 3.5 mil credits and I feel like going shopping.

Probably at least one car for each group. So there's Gr.1, Gr.3, Gr.4, Gr.B, and also one car for each N-series class. I wouldn't worry too much about Gr.X unless you really want to, but some of the cars in there can be really good for one-make races or unique driving experiences. So within there, there's the new F1000T-A, the go kart, the BMW i3, and the SRT Tomahawk X. If you wanna drift, I heard that new BR-Z was used for drifting in real life, and there's also the factor of the time-attack Impreza that was just released, too. There's also the Chevy Nova that was added after winning the GT Award at SEMA some years ago.

To me, it depends a lot how you are playing the game and what you have already done.

If you're mostly playing Sport Mode, buy a car for the One make race every day and a few GR cars that interest you, including one car for each of GR1 GR3 and GR4.

If you're mostly playing the GT League you want to get cars that will do well at each event. I would recommend the Enzo and one of the Japanese sports plus you need of each one make event car but most of those are cheap to buy eg the Roadster and Raptor.

Don't forget to drive 26.2 miles to get your daily award. Even though you end up with a lot of duplicates, I still have a number of new cars from that which I haven't needed to buy.

Make sure you do the circuit challenges and licence events and missions if you haven't already for more free cars, including the Veneno and GTR pace car for the licences.

Personally I would spend 1m on the new Formula GT car as there's nothing else like it currently available, 1 each of GR4 GR3 and GR1 cars and something exotic from Italy.

Gr.X: F1500-A
Gr.1: McLaren Ultimate VGT
Gr.3: Porsche 911 RSR
Gr.4: BMW M4(any version)
Gr.B: WRX Gr.B

And then there's the oddballs from one-make races or races for GT League:
BMW i3, Fittipaldi EF7, Mazda Roadster S(Miata), Mazda RX-7, Kart 125 shifter, Porsche 911 GT3 RS, Nissan GTR premium, Renault Megane, etc...

Good thread. I'm gonna revive it. Any more "must have" cars. I've had the game a month now and have accumulated 85 cars including some real gems. Got about 11mil in the bank so also ready for a shopping spree.

Are any of these 20M credit cars so amazing to drive that they justify the price? Or are they just artificially valuable cos you need them to complete certain events like the nostalgia Pro event?

I've purchased a few cars with real money too. I figure 1M credits takes an hour to accumulate (if one can be bothered Blue Mooning). I'm happy to spend £2.50 to save myself that hour.

I haven't read about many people paying real money for cars. Is it rare among these forum members?

P.s. I've noticed that the Megane is sometimes joked about. Is it tongue in cheek? I've got one (I think it's GR4 or maybe GR3) and it handles likes it's on rails. Really fun to drive. Not the best car in the game but certainly fun.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gr.X: F1500-A
Gr.1: McLaren Ultimate VGT
Gr.3: Porsche 911 RSR
Gr.4: BMW M4(any version)
Gr.B: WRX Gr.B
Ever changing BoP and handling models have shaken up the must have cars per group over the months. As of October, what you want is;

Gr.X: The Mercedes F1 car has supplanted the F1500 as the main formula car in the game. You need both for GT League though, and as for Sport Mode, no one Gr.X car comes up that often.

Gr.1: One of the three 2016 LMP1 cars. All three looked competitive at Fuji and they're never a bad choice for any Gr.1 race. The McLaren could still be good at Le Mans or Monza, but has lost it's shine everywhere else.

Gr.2: Player's choice. The Honda is tricky to drive but has the best cornering of the trio. The Lexus and Nissan are safer picks and have the slight edge down straights.

Gr.3: Porsche 911 is still good on technical circuits, though I feel the Mitsubishi is easier if you're using a DS4. For power tracks, the Ford GT is often the outright fastest, albeit suspect on tyre wear. Good all-round picks are the Mercedes AMG GT, the 2017 Lexus, and the Aston Martin.

Gr.4: Gets tricky here because the BoP is a mess. The Porsche Cayman is usually okay if not good at any given track though. If tyre wear is off, the Audi TT can be dominating on some tracks. The MR Megane Trophy used to be insane but got nerfed hard and only works on very technical tracks now.

Gr.B: The Audi Quattro ends up being the overwhelming favourite on the rare occasions this comes up in Sport Mode. Might be a different story on gravel, but gravel never comes up, so the Quattro's handling problems are masked. I've seen the WRX compete reasonably well though.

Keep in mind that I've focused more on Sport Mode here. GT League by contrast has no BoP. So far example, the outright fastest no-BoP Gr.3 cars are the Dodge Viper and Volkswagen Beetle, whilst the Mustang and Nissan GT-R are the slowest.

Last edited:
Great post. Thanks man. Haven't really scratched Sport mode yet. Figure I'll get shellacked until I know the tracks a bit.

One thing though; I'm not only wanting to know the best cars in each category. I'm interested in owning all the fun/fast/interesting/great handling cars.

So far (only been playing 5 weeks), my faves are:

G1 - Sauber
G2 - haven't got. Hoping to win but will probably buy Lexus soon so I can do the Japan events
G3 - RSR, but most are great TBH
G4 - can't remember. Not home at moment
N - various 911's. Bought the McLaren f1 '94 with real money. Hated it at first but last week found it great for easy winning Midship Challenge at Willow; not an easy track.

I'm also enjoying the Lewis Hamilton F1 car. Can't rewember which category it sits in

Does anyone else find it annoying that that ugly ass Quattro is the best grp B car?

P.s. I've noticed that the Megane is sometimes joked about. Is it tongue in cheek? I've got one (I think it's GR4 or maybe GR3) and it handles likes it's on rails. Really fun to drive. Not the best car in the game but certainly fun.
We have an edit button when you wish to add something to a previous post. Please use it instead of double posting.

Maybe I'm thinking of a diff car. The one with square ugly front spoiler

Same car, different taste ;). It's from the 80s though when most cars were pretty square.

For the GR2, the NSX I find the hardest to drive (any variant of it) the Lexus is the easiest I think (just personal opinion) but all 3 have super grip as you'll find when you drive them.

Also, what cars are "fun" depends on your taste. I find the Mini to be huuuuge fun, body rolling on corners on a tight circuit like Tsukuba, for example.

The Pantera seems to be popular here as well with great fun handling. Whereas the fastest cars such as La Ferrari are a handful. But it depends on what you prefer. :cheers:

Some of us chase the league trophies so you need a car to compete in those. I did also enjoy the mission races where you can use your garage cars.

So of course to be complete you need a competitve example of every class you need to compete in the leagues.

The game was generous enough to gift me an F1500 and several W08s...

But I love the group C's so I just bought them all. You dont need them... the McLaren VGT Group 1 and X cleans up in this class.

You need a Daytona at $15 mil. or one of the $20 mil, cars.

I like this post also ,would like to see some input from more veteran players thanks.this would help me clean out my garage of the terrible dupicaties.:gtplanet::gtpflag::gtpflag:

You need a Daytona at $15 mil. or one of the $20 mil, cars.

Why do I need a Daytona? What makes it a "must have"?

Perhaps some of us are talking at crossed purposes. By "essential" or "must have" I don't mean cars without which you cannot progress or win events. I mean cars that are so cool/fun/interesting to drive that (in your opinion) are an essential part of enjoying GT Sport to the max

I love the Ferrari 458 twins too. Both amazing fun to drive with the right tune

Perhaps some of us are talking at crossed purposes. By "essential" or "must have" I don't mean cars without which you cannot progress or win events. I mean cars that are so cool/fun/interesting to drive that (in your opinion) are an essential part of enjoying GT Sport to the max

You are probably touching a raw nerve here because the $20 mil. cars are an important part of this franchise over the last two generations.

I feel like at least people should own one of these cars? No?

You pretty much have to grind if you dont get it for free on the daily.

You are probably touching a raw nerve here because the $20 mil. cars are an important part of this franchise over the last two generations.

I feel like at least people should own one of these cars? No?

You pretty much have to grind if you dont get it for free on the daily.

can you provide reasons for WHY they're "important" or you feel that people should own at least one of these cars?

Are they more fun to drive than a $1M car? Faster? Handle better? More realistic?

Or is just that they have a price tag that says $20M?

I'm not trying to be sceptical or cynical. I just dont want to waste my time trying to aquire things that may not significantly improve MY enjoyment of the game.

One of the current Must-Haves is the Mazda RX500. The only car which is able to beat the Blue Moon Bay grind in N200 form :-)

Edit: Of course the $20M machines are extremely expensive but their driving feel is awesome and they are really satisfying to both look at and race. The high price is justified because of how rare these cars are. The 250 GTO for example was sold for $50+M. It's art which doesn't need any explanation. Or do you question why people pay huge amounts of money for paintings?

Last edited:
One of the current Must-Haves is the Mazda RX500. The only car which is able to beat the Blue Moon Bay grind in N200 form :-)

Edit: Of course the $20M machines are extremely expensive but their driving feel is awesome and they are really satisfying to both look at and race. The high price is justified because of how rare these cars are. The 250 GTO for example was sold for $50+M. It's art which doesn't need any explanation. Or do you question why people pay huge amounts of money for paintings?

Yeah. If people spent 20 real life hours playing a game to purchase a VIRTUAL painting, I'd question it.

I'm happy for you if owning a digital version of a $50M car makes you happy. I'm not judging. We all appreciate and value different stuff. Personally, I'm only gonna invest 20 hours of grinding into buying a virtual car if it does something special. So far, no-one has said anything that makes me feel like it'd be worth my effort. Still open minded though, to hearing compelling reasons for chasing one!

Last edited:
Your question is if the $20M cars are essential and why you could like them. First of all: No, you don't need them at all or why do you think only a small percentage of people owns them. I told you they are fast, sound nice and are beautiful to look at. Do you want them to fly? If you only want speed as you insist on it all the time then you will really enjoy the Tomahawk which only costs $1M. Don't take this as an offend though. Not everything in life should be decided by your brain because there is not a single rational reason for owning them.

** controversial post alert ***

Alright. Got back after a weekend away (2 whole days without earning a workout car!!), and checked my garage. Turns out that a few weeks ago I was awarded a couple of expensive Lambos that I'd never even noticed. A Miura and a Countach. Took the Miura for a quick spin this morning on Dragon Tail. Meh. Nice, fun, loose-ish sorta ride. Much like many others in the game. Probably better with a tune.

Is it worth CR15m? Not to me. I enjoy driving many of the 450k gr 3 cars much more. I wonder if I'd enjoy the Daytona, GTO or GT-40 much more? I'm not a guy who knows that much about old cars. I just like driving and racing. I get that there's probably nostalgic value and I know this Miura was a rare and expensive car in real life. Struggling to see the worth in spending hours Bluemooning for it though.

Just my 2c. If the Miura is anything to go by, I won't be wasting any time grinding just to own the expensive cars in the game.

Took the Miura and the Countach out for a few spins around Maggiore this evening. The Countach is awesome. Really like it. Also enjoyed the Miura today. Played with the tuning on it a bit but its still a bit too loose for my liking. Probably my lack of experience. Will google tunes for it. Not bad cars by any stretch. I don't think I'd spend 15M credits on the Miura, but its fun to drive for sure. The Countach is probably worth spending a couple of M credits on.

Took the Miura and the Countach out for a few spins around Maggiore this evening. The Countach is awesome. Really like it. Also enjoyed the Miura today. Played with the tuning on it a bit but its still a bit too loose for my liking. Probably my lack of experience. Will google tunes for it. Not bad cars by any stretch. I don't think I'd spend 15M credits on the Miura, but its fun to drive for sure. The Countach is probably worth spending a couple of M credits on.

If you're interested in a quick and easy way to get a general indication of the best cars, then can I suggest looking no further than this superb website from @Milouse which includes car ratings and details for each and every car :bowdown:

https://www.kudosprime.com/gts/carlist.php

I use the random car button every day to try out a new car (except when it comes up with a 15m+ car as I still don't have any of those :()

Today I've got the Mileage special WRX Road Car which is eligible for the 4WD events, Boxer events, J Sports events and the Real Circuit Tours in the Amateur level alone. Busy day ahead :D

Back