Does GT4 support High Definition?

• Thread starter Thiele
  • 24 comments
GTP_Thiele (PSP only)
nope
Hey guys. This kind of makes me feel like a n00b, but why can't i play GT4 in HD? I remember when GT4 was released i read in a review that GT4 supports high definition graphics, but it looks terrible on our new lounge TV. Do i need a component cable or something? Again sorry if i'm a n00b. :guilty:

A component cable would certainly be a must as the original composite can't cope with HD signal thanks to its low bandwidth. However, even if you had the component, I have a vague feeling that the PAL version of GT4 doesn't have the HD possibility at all.

A component cable would certainly be a must as the original composite can't cope with HD signal thanks to its low bandwidth. However, even if you had the component, I have a vague feeling that the PAL version of GT4 doesn't have the HD possibility at all.

I just looked at Wikipedia and it said 1080i US version only. I really don't like the way they leave things completely out of one version and in others, thanks for that anyway.

I'm using a standard AV cable, but even if i did get a component i wouldn't use it very often because i normally have it on my crappy TV that doesn't have AV, so i have to run it through a VCR. I just bring it out occasionally.

Mine's like this:

d74c36c622a0c28cd8426110._AA280_.L.jpg

Ah well, that's just above the worst connection type you can use. If you want a decent picture, you should seriously consider using a different kind of connection, even if it's more work to set it up. Besides Component, Scart RGB is a much better option. S-Video is somewhere inbetween.

The NTSC version supports 480p, 1080i, 4:3 & 16:9
The PAL version only supports 576i
Only racing is done at HD, the menu still falls back to 480i
480p, 1080i requires Component Cables
480i, 576i, 4:3, 16:9 will run fine on Composite, S-Video, & SCART

I assume your new lounge TV is a flat panel one?
Most LCD and Plasma TVs have a terrible time de-interlacing 480i sources to 480p, before scaling to fit your TV's resolution.

Thus, if you are still keen on getting a better picture quality, may i suggest investing on a Component Cable, then try running at 480p. This, in theory, will by-pass the de-interlacing filter on your TV, and may even result in a slightly better quality than running the game at 1080i.

Also, if your TV supports RGB with SoC (Sync-on-Green) input, then you may be happy to learn that under the PS2 menu, players have the choice of switching between Y'PrPb and RGB. Running in RGB will result in a slightly higher color fidelity and gamut.

Ah well, that's just above the worst connection type you can use. If you want a decent picture, you should seriously consider using a different kind of connection, even if it's more work to set it up. Besides Component, Scart RGB is a much better option. S-Video is somewhere inbetween.

As i said, i normally keep my ps2 on an old TV that doesn't even have AV. (I think a 1970's TV) I have to use the VCR to get AV.

If you have a PS3 go buy an hdmi cable, go into GT4 set to 1080i.

Or get some other cable that can support HD bandwidth.

If you have a PS3 go buy an hdmi cable, go into GT4 set to 1080i.

Or get some other cable that can support HD bandwidth.

As i said, i only have an old TV that can't have component or even S-video. I very rarely use the new TV. Also as i said, i have the PAL version which doesn't have HD. And i don't have a ps3.

As i said, i only have an old TV that can't have component or even S-video. I very rarely use the new TV. Also as i said, i have the PAL version which doesn't have HD. And i don't have a ps3.
Well you are just gonna stay with low def I guess.

But I do remember my bro say PD made a 1080P edition back in 2007.

nick, the 1080P edition was GT HD.

I prefer using 480p mode over 1080i... 1080i makes the HUD look seriously poor on my TV (40" Samsung LCD... with a 60GB PS3).

nick, the 1080P edition was GT HD.

I prefer using 480p mode over 1080i... 1080i makes the HUD look seriously poor on my TV (40" Samsung LCD... with a 60GB PS3).

Oh ok.

I prefer using 1080i and I have a 34 inch Rear-tube HDTV.

The problem with most LCD's is that a LCD can't show true black.

i play GT4 on a small TV using a RF cable.., :P:lol: yeah i know, it's friggin cheap, but our old TV doesn't have AV cable sockets, which BTW sucks and stinks.., :grumpy: i can't enjoy GT4 on HD because my dad won't let me use the big TV in the living room.., :D

i play GT4 on a small TV using a RF cable.., :P:lol: yeah i know, it's friggin cheap, but our old TV doesn't have AV cable sockets, which BTW sucks and stinks.., :grumpy: i can't enjoy GT4 on HD because my dad won't let me use the big TV in the living room.., :D

Same here i use an AV cable through the VCR, i'm occasionally allowed to use it in the lounge room when Dad's not watching it.

Any 60Gb launch PS3 will play GT4 - and most other PS2 games.

Hmm.. Well I have the 160GB one and it says it doesn't support PS2 format. Maybe cause I still haven't downloaded any updates for it?

No, it's because it's not a launch 60Gb console...

Ok, I googled it. Thanks anyway. Definatly not fair though. Why would they remove that feature? Now I can't even play GT4 in HD :(

Ok, I googled it. Thanks anyway. Definatly not fair though. Why would they remove that feature (backwards compatibility)? Now I can't even play GT4 in HD :(

As far as I can tell they removed to feature so that fewer people would buy a PS3. At least, that's the result it had for those few people I know who would have bought one, but then decided not to when Sony took out the PS2 compatibility. To be fair, only ONE person I know actually went the store and then didn't buy one when he found out they were no longer backward compatible. But several others I know were at least seriously considering the PS3 and then decided it wasn't even on their list anymore once backwards compatibility went away. Crazy Sony...

Get a component cable, even without 1080i the difference will be noticeable. If you can find a NA copy of GT4 to try out, give it a shot. GT4 at 1080i looks vastly better than 480i or 480p.

I have a PAL PS2 slim (SCPH77002), and a PAL copy of Gran Turismo 4.

I want to be able to play Gran Turismo 4 in 480p or 1080i - as has been reported online.

I have a 1080p LCD with component input, and the Sony Playstation component cable.

I am aware that my particular PS2 does not support progressive scan for DVD playback (as the menu seems to be absent), however, does that mean that my PS2 can't play games using progressive scan as well?

That is to say, would I have to be able to enable progressive scan for DVD playback, in order for my PS2 to be able to play games using progressive scan? Or does the fact that my PS2 can't utilise progressive scan for DVD playback, mean that it also can't utilise progressive scan for games.

In short, I'm trying to work out whether my PS2 being PAL, is totally blocked out from playing progressive scan in its entirety (whether it be DVD movies, or games).

To date, all I have experienced with my PAL copy of GT4 on my PAL PS2 slim, is 576i at 50Hz. This is with composite or component cables, yet component cables make the image a bit more crisp.

I expect that when I get my PS2 slim chipped, and obtain an NTSC copy of GT4, that in using my component cables, it will be 480p from the outset(?), and I will need to enable the 1080i option in game(?), and then the menus will be 480i and gameplay will be 1080i?

As far as I know, all playstations are capable of progressive scan. I know mine is. I can play GT4 in 480p and 1080i fine. However, these modes were only implemented in the NTSC versions of GT4, so what you need is the US version of GT4 and a Playstation that can make use of that. But then, there's nothing to be done in the PS setup menu, everything in terms of modes and resolutions happens in-game. The only thing you need to choose in PS setup is to use YCrCb and not RGB. But since you already do that, you're good to go.

Fantastic! That's just what I wanted to hear.

...It's a pity I've just been quoted $149.95 for a Tornado Modchip though!

Back