Does it not bother anyone...

  • Thread starter Thread starter IFLATLINEI
  • 24 comments
  • 2,056 views
Messages
50
Messages
IFLATLINEI
that saved replays are worthless?

I love this game and praise it for everything it has that the others dont. I even appreciate the most basic things like being able to create an online racing room where I can label it whatever I want. I appreciate being able to start online races at my or the rooms convenience instead of having an automatic timer starting races for you (NFS Shift). I appreciate all the freedoms to create my own version of fun in this game. I especially appreciate the ability to save replays and the fact that I can rewatch those replays following any car I choose. Its like having 16 replays in one.

Whats bothering me is that hearing before the game launched that there could be the option of uploading replays to Youtube. I really want this and from what I hear it was axed because it would take too long to convert the files in order to upload and view them on YouTube. I wonder how long actually? 1 Hour? 2 hours? 12 Hours? Yesterday I completed a 45 hour run of Remote B-Spec races so whats the deal?
 
I doubt there is enough space for such a feature. We'll most likely see it in the future.
 
That could be but there are options. An application for your PC to do the converting would be one. Partnering with YouTube to do the converting for us would be another one.
 
...nope. Never bothered me at all. I don't even think I've watched a single replay in GT5. Ever.
 
The problem is that replays aren't actual video files. They're simply files that show where all the cars are supposed to be, and then it just uses the track on your HDD to display it. Your best bet is to use a screen capture card if you can.
 
The problem is that replays aren't actual video files. They're simply files that show where all the cars are supposed to be, and then it just uses the track on your HDD to display it. Your best bet is to use a screen capture card if you can.

Understood and I used to do that with Toca and the PS2. I had a setup like this. 2 PS2's both running Toca 3. One I played on while the other was connected to my capture card on my PC. Both would log in under seperate accounts and while I raced on one the other would record the spectators view. I have some of those vids posted on YouTube.

Today my gaming setup is much different. PS3 using HDMI to a 21 inch monitor. I know I cant record HDMI and I could use Component cable for a nice 1080i picture but my monitor doesnt accept component. Long story short this would complicate things. TBH the market for HD capture equipement still doesnt make things feasible for some setups.
 
I have yet to save a replay. I know I won't watch them again.
 
No? Never had an Epic race with some good friends that you may want to revisit at a later date. Or maybe a great win you would like to rub in your trash talking buddies face? LOL

Some of the racers in our group will save replays and then go back later and take multiple pictures showing how so and so wiped them out. Thats always fun! LOL Then they show them like a slide show in a Video chatroom.
 
I saved a couple replays. The first is when I beat the Daytona Nascar special event by .003 seconds and the other was a full lap drift in an S13. Yes, it bothers me that I can't save them and view them on my computer.
 
No? Never had an Epic race with some good friends that you may want to revisit at a later date. Or maybe a great win you would like to rub in your trash talking buddies face? LOL

Some of the racers in our group will save replays and then go back later and take multiple pictures showing how so and so wiped them out. Thats always fun! LOL Then they show them like a slide show in a Video chatroom.

Most normal people dont go into video chatrooms.
 
i have a few replays saved hoping that pd implements a replay upload feature in a future update
 
Most normal people dont go into video chatrooms.

LMAO if your really on the west coast then you know nothing about being normal :)👍

But yeah your right. Normal people know nothing of having real friends who have moved around the country and seen this as a way to stay in touch while shareing a common interest. RACING!
 
I love this game and praise it for everything it has that the others dont. I appreciate all the freedoms to create my own version of fun in this game. I especially appreciate the ability to save replays and the fact that I can rewatch those replays following any car I choose. Its like having 16 replays in one.

  1. I'd have went with 12 rather than 16, since almost no events use 16 cars.
  2. You make it sound as though other games don't do anything like this. I know I definitely saved lots of replays from Forza and Forza allowed me to follow whichever car I want to follow.

I doubt there is enough space for such a feature.

How so? FM3 had such a feature. Granted, it didn't upload videos to YouTube, but it did upload them to the Forza website where they can be viewed or downloaded. I downloaded them from the site to my PC and then uploaded them to YouTube. If FM3 had a video feature, I really don't see how they couldn't squeeze it into GT5, and FM3 was just on DVD.
 
I like to save replays of my good races, or races with :odd: things...An upload feature would be cool, but it doesn't bother me at all:).
 
Replays are essential for organised online racing. I just wish they'd put shuttle controls in.

If you need to export... hold your phone camera up to the screen :D
 
What's with the snarky replies? Anyway I love the replay feature and I'm sure there are plenty of users who do. As much as I love gt5 though there is room for improvement and being able to upload replays to youtube would be awesome. So yes it kinda does bother me to answer the op.
 
The problem is that replays aren't actual video files. They're simply files that show where all the cars are supposed to be, and then it just uses the track on your HDD to display it. Your best bet is to use a screen capture card if you can.

Exactly.
 
The only time I save replays is if I want to take a picture of something on it. After that, it's deleted.
 
I have yet to save a replay. I know I won't watch them again.

Same here, But it would be a good feature to include though.
 
The only way for you to actually make use a of a replay is if you have enough space on the HDD.
Not everyone has a 250GB PS3 slim.
I have the 60GB and I have to remove demos when I download new and I don't have a single song and only 3 trailers on my PS3.

If GT5 will make replays viewable for Internet use or PC they have to make an ingame video recorder that records the game while it plays it.
 
I only record my maddest seasonal drifts or if something exceptionally unusual happens like a bug or something. Yes its kind of annoying as they touted this feature before launch I hope they do something with it even if its playstation plus only or something
 
The problem is that replays aren't actual video files. They're simply files that show where all the cars are supposed to be, and then it just uses the track on your HDD to display it. Your best bet is to use a screen capture card if you can.
This is the answer to 99% of the "I want a video of my replay" files. However, it's not in this case.

Most people say that the Youtube upload feature was axed because the PS3 simply doesn't have the appropriate hardware to produce such a video. I'm not sure whether it's connected to the hardware that much though, I mean you don't have to render a full video into the RAM. I think it's well possible, but Kaz simply was unhappy with the time the rendering took.

Let's crunch some numbers. Let's assume for the sake of the discussion that he aimed for a 720p 30 fps video in photomode quality. How long does it take the PS3 to render a photomode shot? A few seconds, right? Well, in 720p the resolution would be significantly lower, so let's say the PS3 would need 0.5 seconds to render one 720p resolution photomode-quality frame. This means that it will render 120 frames a minute. For a 30 fps video, that's four seconds of footage. So given you have a replay of 10 minutes length, it would take the PS3 150 minutes to render the video. Add the time to upload it to Youtube to that. Kaz probably wasn't happy with such numbers.
 
GT handles the replays by simply recording the car data during the race and then to replay it reloads the tracks and cars and runs the race again with that car data being input back into the engine.

Therefore replays have to be in real time (It's also why you cant fast forward or rewind during a replay.....only go back to the beginning since the car data has to replay in the order it was stored.)

Therefore to record a 20 min race you would need to replay the race for 20 mins with the output being used to create a video file to be uploaded.

If you want to upload your 4 hour nurburgring endurance race it woud take 4 hours to create the video file.

That is the time Kaz is talking about.

Even if they limited it to a 10 min maximum section that could be uploaded (since youtube has a 10 min limit on files) you would still need to let the replay run until it got to the part you wanted to upload to then record the next 10 mins.

What they really needed to do was change the way GT saves data for replays to make it a workable model for video uploading.
 
...nope. Never bothered me at all. I don't even think I've watched a single replay in GT5. Ever.

I did when I first started this game just to check it out. Maybe two or three replays max.

Not sure but uploading to Youtube if that feature ever comes would be a problem for me because most of the races I do online are well over the time limit for Youtube. It'd be cool if they did give us the upload feature that they also included the ability to edit the replay before uploading.
 
  1. FM3 had such a feature. Granted, it didn't upload videos to YouTube, but it did upload them to the Forza website where they can be viewed or downloaded. I downloaded them from the site to my PC and then uploaded them to YouTube. If FM3 had a video feature, I really don't see how they couldn't squeeze it into GT5, and FM3 was just on DVD.




  1. I used this feature too in FM3, but it was slow, and it was only clips, not entire replays. I have just used my camera to record the replay in front of the TV, it works if you set up a tripod.

    As slow and inconsistent as GT servers are I'm sure the upload would be waaaay slow and we need no more slooow in GT5.
 
Back