Does Jordan Keep All That Information?

• Thread starter Shannon
  • 8 comments
Hey Jordan. When we sign on and enter in all the information to register, do you keep like a big log book (on your computer or something) with all that information?

Just wondering. :confused:

vBulletin automatically keeps it stored. Admins/webmasters just have to type in your username to access register info. He doesn't write it all down, or anything like that. ;)

Yes, everything a user enters anywhere (be it profile fields, posts, avatars, attachments, signatures, titles, and anything else that you type/upload that appears somewhere on the site) is stored in a MySQL database on GTPlanet's server, where it is then accessed and "pulled out" by the PHP scripts when requested and is then sent to your browser for display. I make backups of this MySQL database, and then download that SQL file onto my personal computer in case anything was to ever happen to the server. (I am able to back up A LOT more often now that I have my cable modem - the database is more than half a gigabyte in size!)

Originally posted by Jordan
Yes, everything a user enters anywhere (be it profile fields, posts, avatars, attachments, signatures, titles, and anything else that you type/upload that appears somewhere on the site) is stored in a MySQL database on GTPlanet's server, where it is then accessed and "pulled out" by the PHP scripts when requested and is then sent to your browser for display. I make backups of this MySQL database, and then download that SQL file onto my personal computer in case anything was to ever happen to the server. (I am able to back up A LOT more often now that I have my cable modem - the database is more than half a gigabyte in size!)
I see. Thanks Jordan. :)

Originally posted by GilesGuthrie
Does your Web Host back up your server to tape for you?
No, unfortunately. :( But, I download the backups in about 5-10 minutes, so it isn't really an inconvenience that's worth the extra $50/month that you would pay at other hosts for the service.

Originally posted by alexy2k
Nice to know that should the worst happen to :gtplanet: it can all be reloaded? :thumbsup:
Yes, it can all be reloaded from the last backup. So, at the worst case we would loose a few days of posts.

Latest Posts

Back