DOH! moment at grand valley 300km

  • Thread starter Thread starter Mr.Slow
  • 12 comments
  • 2,608 views
Messages
762
I am using the GT-R (GT Academy Version) for this race. All in all a pretty easy race with this car. Only I drove 4 hours this morning (back from the Easter weekend) and been doing GT5 "catch up" all afternoon (well most of it).

So I knew it was a dicey proposition to start the 300km race at 10p.m. after a looong day at the wheel (in real life and in GT5). Nevertheless I decided to push on and do 1 hours racing with the hopes of finishing it up tomorrow morning before work.

I had been doing 2:08.xxx laps most of the race until the tyres got to 1/3 left (around lap 20). At the same time I got caught in a bit of traffic trying to lap the whole field with only the Honda NSX left (and about 20 seconds ahead).

To top it all off fatigue finally sets in and I start making mistakes ending with driving into the santrap on turn 2. That costs me 2 and a half seconds for a 2:11.xxx lap. After that both the car and the driver get really unsettled and I can't get below 2:10.xxx. A couple of 2:12.xx laps and I finally catch up to the NSX on the second to last turn.

As I pull next to him on the straight to to the last turn (or kink if you will) I think "Now I can pit". Once I overtake him I can see the pit entrance and dive right. "All is good, I will pit and pause the game until tomorrow" I thought to myself.

Only then it occurs to me to look at the lap number: 24!!......

Faaarrrrrkkkk... There goes my one stop strategy. Now I'll have to do 36 laps on the new tyres... or stop again. Yes. It sounds silly given I have already lapped the whole field but it is annoying nevertheless.
 
No big deal really, you should be able to win easily with 2 pit stops or even more if you want.
 
....*snip*
Faaarrrrrkkkk... There goes my one stop strategy. Now I'll have to do 36 laps on the new tyres... or stop again. Yes. It sounds silly given I have already lapped the whole field but it is annoying nevertheless.

HA!

Two pit stops is probably not the worst thing since you can short-fill the fuel tank and save some time instead of waiting for the interminably slow fuel delivery system.

Of course when I first read your quote below:

I am using the GT-R (GT Academy Version) for this race.... "I drove 4 hours this morning"....

The first thing I thought was: no wonder he's having problems, its taken more than 4 hours to drive 300km, how much did he de-tune his car?

Enjoy the racing!
GTsail
 
Yes two stops wasn't a bad thing. On the last stint I drove it like I stole it and managed a string of 2:05.7xx laps.

In the end the NSX was lapped twice.
 
Two stops if pretty good for a 4wd car. I actually used a stock elise rm with sport hard tires and pit in once since i was driving softly.
 
On the first set of tyres I got 24 laps. On the second I was more aggressive and got 21 laps. On the third I went balls to the wall and wore the fronts down to 1/3 in 16 laps. The last stint was the only one where the fronts wore significantly more than the rears.
 
2 laps ahead? Sounds boring. Go for more of a challenge next time (link in sig). ;)👍
 
2 laps ahead? Sounds boring. Go for more of a challenge next time (link in sig). ;)👍

It was! I thought it was going to be more challenging since the GT-R does not have as much power as some of the competition and no tuning was done.

I also didn't want to spend time looking for a more challenging setup. Just wanted to pick one car from the garage and do it.
 
Giygas
Two stops if pretty good for a 4wd car. I actually used a stock elise rm with sport hard tires and pit in once since i was driving softly.

Sorry in advance for being too literal.

"stock elise rm"

Stock, yet RM? Impossible. RM is aftermarket, therefore making your Elise no longer stock. An Elise RM without changes would be one thing. But both stock and racing modifications is impossible.
 
Two pitstops is way better than my strategy. I just went qualifying pace and stopped 3 (or 4) times. I don't really remember because I won this race a couple of months ago. What I do know is, I destroyed the tires every stint, but won by a lot.
 
It was! I thought it was going to be more challenging since the GT-R does not have as much power as some of the competition and no tuning was done.

I also didn't want to spend time looking for a more challenging setup. Just wanted to pick one car from the garage and do it.

You need a stock car with less than 300hp, i did it in a 280hp lancer with s. mids. Even used s. hards once to see if i can make them last longer and still was an easy victory
 
You need a stock car with less than 300hp, i did it in a 280hp lancer with s. mids. Even used s. hards once to see if i can make them last longer and still was an easy victory

I did the laguna seca 200 miles last night. I used the Challenger RT8. It was a closer race as all but two of the competition were faster in a straight line. It was only in the turns that I could beat them.

The last 20 laps I had a C5 Corvette on on my mirrors all the time. He was a lap down though... :-) The only car I didn't lap was 2nd place (Corvette SS) but still finished 1:12 ahead of him. I could put 1-2 seconds a lap on him if I kept my lap times under 1:44 until my tyres got to 1/3. At that point I'd loose 3-4 seconds a lap if he was free of traffic and I wasn't consistent.
 
Sorry in advance for being too literal.

"stock elise rm"

Stock, yet RM? Impossible. RM is aftermarket, therefore making your Elise no longer stock. An Elise RM without changes would be one thing. But both stock and racing modifications is impossible.

That's not impossible, If you buy an Elise and RM it and do no further modifications, that is indeed a STOCK ELISE RM. idk why you felt the need to even call him out on such a trivial subject.
 
Back