DonkeyFuzz's World Championship With Yuji Ide

• Thread starter DonkeyFuzz
  • 28 comments
United Kingdom
Hertfordshire, UK
Red-Bantha-95
Hello people!

I'm starting this thread mainly because it's something to do, and if your bored, something for you to read for a few minutes. I've succesfully completed Career mode on the hardest level at least 4 times so I'm doing a single season in the worst car with the worst driver, not that the driver makes a difference, on the hardest difficulty with no car setups. Each race will be 30% of the actual distance with variable weather, with no driving aids. It's a pretty big challenge but I'm up for it and hoping for a top 8 finish at the end of the season. I hope I do well and I hope you enjoy reading!

Round 1, Sakhir, Bahrain:

I have arrived in Bahrain, naturally the sunniest conditions in the game and I head out of the garage with everything on the default setting. When doing my warm up lap for qualifying I notice breaking alot later is a way to gain time beacuse on the straights its so slow, sometimes not even coming out of 6th gear! Anyway, I came down the main staright and posted my lap time and was actually pretty good and ended the session 8th. Likewise, Q2 held the same opputunity and finished 8th. In Q3 I thought 10th place would be the best I could achieve beacus eof the fuel loads. However, amazingly qualifyed 7th, wow! I was not expecting that, but race day always holds a different story.

At the start of the race I got off to a good start and moved up into 5th on my 1 stop stratergy, both Renaults, the Ferrari of Schumacher and the Honda of Barrichello were ahead of me whilst I pulled away from Trulli, Raikkonen and Montoya. It was a pretty boring race until the last 6 laps where Schumacher got an engine failure, so I was now up into 4th, but when I slid over the oil, my car lost 6th gear and the 3 cars behind me were right up close for the last for laps, so I ws swerving all over the gaff trying to keep them behind which I did but only just as Montoya, finished less than a tenth behind me, it was close.

Yuji Ide, 4th place in the standings with 5pts, you don't here that every day!

Round 2, Sepang, Malaysia

Well, arriving in Sepang in the comfort of my own home was good, and knowing what the weathers like, I didn't know what to expect, but I got lucky and the game gave me its sunniest conditions. I headed out of the pits and after Bahrain I was hoping for a similar result as they kind of have the same downforce levels. My theory turned out to be correct when in Q1 I achieved 7th place, not bad, whilst Takuma started 20th infront of both Honda's. Moving onto Q2, the sky was now cloudy but none the less it was not raining so I was happy espescially when I finished the session in P5, not bad huh. Nobody major was knocked out in Q2 but I huess in this sport (game) anyone is a rival. In Q3, I was hoping for 7th like in Bahrain but qualifyed 8th, ahead of Ralf Schumacher and Nico Rosberg. I was pleased result as it hit me I was driving a Super Aguri.

Into the race, and nothing finer than lining up on the grid in sunny conditions, I got off to a great start and did a mini-Hamilton and got upto 5th, ahead of both McLarens and a Ferrari. I kept my cool and was racing Trulli for 4th and lap after lap I reeled him in by 5 tenths of a second. I adopted a 1 stop strategy and Trulli also did, but he came in 2 laps earlier giving me an advantage. But, I pushed to hard, at the final corner, just when your entering the pit lane theres a little bump and I span off losing around 7 seconds of time to Trulli and being overtaken bu Klien. I just came out in front of him, but came out in 6th, which I thought was damn good. 5 laps remaining and in my own world, coming up to turn 4, my engine blows up. Nice, real nice, I was gonna have 8pts with a not so good team but 5pts was my destiny. I went away a little annoyed but remembered, this is Super Aguri.

How did the 2 Hondas qualify last at Sepang?
I think the Honda's got stuck in traffic, this happens on rare occasions but does happen.

What engine does super aguri run?
I think the Super Aguri's use Honda engines, but I think the aerodynamics of the default design are bad as it uses the struture of the Arrows 2002 car.

Last edited:
Round 3, Melbourne, Australia

I can't really tell you much about qualifying, not much happened as Australia is one of my worser tracks so I was expecting to be knocked out in Q1 and I was, but I thought I could of reached Q2 when I saw the times. I set the 19th fastest lap, but 2 tenths of 16th place which was a liitle bit annoying but qualified ahead of my team mate Takuma, and both Midlands. When I went on watch session it was raining throughout Q2 and then through Q3, so I was always going to start lower than 16th I guess. I was hoping it would not be raining for the race, as I would have been screwed.

Race day, it was cloudy and there were mentions of rain but none fell luckily. At the start I moved onto the inside part of the track for turn oneand was running in 14th, not bad, so I said don't push to hard or you'll crash, but coming into turn 3 was the biggest crash I've ever seen, a Red Bull spun off causing mayhem, I sneaked around and moved into an extrodinary 7th place. I thought I would be out-paced but kept level times with my rivals. I came in for my pit stop and was hpoing all would go well and it did and rejoined a spectacular 6th, this time I knew I had to finish but 7 laps before the end my engine failed and I was so annoyed but I remembered there was still 15 races left and San Marino is a strong track for me.

Yuji Ide, 9th in the standings with 5 points, one behind Trulli and 2 behind Button.

Last edited:
I think the Super Aguri's use Honda engines, but I think the aerodynamics of the default design are bad as it uses the struture of the Arrows 2002 car.

Yup, they had customer Hondas, which were naturally not as refined as the factory ones. And yeah, the chassis was just the 2002 Arrows with some minor improvements, the Arrows wasn't a bad car actually but 4 seasons of aero development show how far back that leaves you.

I agree, Super Aguri should of improved in the time they spent in F1. Good thing Arrows was a decent car as we're driving for Arrows Grand Prix in the Championship:lol:

Round 4, Imola, San Marino

Okay, I've arrived in Europe and hoping for some decent results at the Nurburgring, Monaco and here at San Marino. I haven't been overally impressed with how the cars coped with the engines but the race pace has been brilliant. In Q1 here I was expecting to get through to Q2 and did with a good 9th place, whilst nobody out of the ordinary filled up the last 6 places of the grid. In Q2 I was pushing for Q3 and did just that after finishing 7th in the sunniest conditions. Again, nobody major out in Q2 but that will make things alot harder for Q3. Fortunatley, in this session I posted a decent time and was 3rd and rain started to fall, get in there I thought as a second row start would be awsome, but I failed to realise the track wasn't to slippy and still provided some grip and unfortunatley finished the session 8th, not bad though. I hope the race proves to be just as exciting or whether it will be another shot in the arm like in Malaysia and Australia.

I agree, Super Aguri should of improved in the time they spent in F1. Good thing Arrows was a decent car as we're driving for Arrows Grand Prix in the Championship:lol:

I remember whilst watching one of the practices for the Malaysian GP on BBCiplayer, a former Super Aguri Driver commented on this. They would have developed the car much further if it were not for lack of funding. Over the course of a season they would maybe lose a second on the opposition because other teams were developing constantly where they could not.

Round 3, Melbourne, Australia

I can't really tell you much about qualifying, not much happened as Australia is one of my worser tracks so I was expecting to be knocked out in Q1 and I was, but I thought I could of reached Q2 when I saw the times. I set the 19th fastest lap, but 2 tenths of 16th place which was a liitle bit annoying but qualified ahead of my team mate Takuma, and both Midlands. When I went on watch session it was raining throughout Q2 and then through Q3, so I was always going to start lower than 16th I guess. I was hoping it would not be raining for the race, as I would have been screwed.

Race day, it was cloudy and there were mentions of rain but none fell luckily. At the start I moved onto the inside part of the track for turn oneand was running in 14th, not bad, so I said don't push to hard or you'll crash, but coming into turn 3 was the biggest crash I've ever seen, a Red Bull spun off causing mayhem, I sneaked around and moved into an extrodinary 7th place. I thought I would be out-paced but kept level times with my rivals. I came in for my pit stop and was hpoing all would go well and it did and rejoined a spectacular 6th, this time I knew I had to finish but 7 laps before the end my engine failed and I was so annoyed but I remembered there was still 15 races left and San Marino is a strong track for me.

Yuji Ide, 9th in the standings with 5 points, one behind Trulli and 2 behind Button.

You seem to be suffering from some engine failure`s. I would have thought the Honda`s would be quite reliable. Are you revving them too hard....bumpimg the limiter when changing,running on or holding it just before the limiter on the straights? Maybe you need to back off 7th gear a fraction??

Do all the engines run the same 18,500 limiter? I thought the cosworth`s ran to 20,000 rpm but my williams stops at 18,500 like the midland/toyota`s?

Are you revving them too hard....bumpimg the limiter when changing,running on or holding it just before the limiter on the straights? Maybe you need to back off 7th gear a fraction??

Do all the engines run the same 18,500 limiter? I thought the cosworth`s ran to 20,000 rpm but my williams stops at 18,500 like the midland/toyota`s?

I dont know about this because it takes quite a while for it to change from 6th to 7th, even using the manual setting its hard to get that gear change just right. I think your right when you say bumping the limiter, because it sounds like something that could quite easily happen.

As for all engines running the same limiter I do not know but I will investigate.

I remember whilst watching one of the practices for the Malaysian GP on BBCiplayer, a former Super Aguri Driver commented on this. They would have developed the car much further if it were not for lack of funding. Over the course of a season they would maybe lose a second on the opposition because other teams were developing constantly where they could not.

Basically they didn't have enough money, I knew they were skint for Turkey 2008 but not from the start. Also, there was a rumour that were coming back, how true this is but plans for 2012 were mentioned by Mr.Aguri. It's ashame they couldn't develop because Force India have developed quite remarkably and there was a point at the 1st quarter of the 2009 season they were lacking funds, but good old Fisi bumped up their salary, and then Sutil in Monza.

Round 4, Imola, San Marino

Race:

Well, what can I say, a race for change, no way, rain battering the circuit, in the commentary at the beginning Martin B. said there was no signs of it letting up either. Great I thought but I pressed on. The lights went out and I was off and coming into turn 1 I overtook Jenson Button and moved up to 7th. That was a pleasant suprise. My triumph was triumphed again when on the next lap, Fisichella and Schumacher had a coming together moving me up to 5th place, not bad considering it was hammering with rain. And so fourth, time for pistops and I knew I was holding up about 7 cars, Button and the Toyota's were all over the back of me but couldn't get through, so I knew this would e their time to overtake but I decided to pit one lap later than everyone else beacuse I thought they would have heavy fuel loads and I was correct and rejoined 5th. To calm my nerves Button and Trulli collided at the beginning of sector 3 but Barrichello was right up behind me. Whilst this was happening I lost 3rd gear so I tried to go no lower than 4th, I found this very challenging. Luckily with 4 laps to go Barrichelli ran over a curb and pan into the middle of the track, and I can honestly say I had nothing to do with this. I crossed the line 5 seconds ahead of Klien and 20 behind Raikkonen to finish 5th. This puts me (Ide) 7th in the championship with 9pts, 3 ahead of Trulli, and suprisingly on the same point level as Fisichella and 1 point behind Schumacher. Overall I was really pleased with the race.

Thats a good result,i hate the rain... can`t see anything! Still suffering from some drivetrain reliabilty issues with your car... I wonder whats going on? Is it because your running on hard level? Is there a differance between easy and hard with reliability?

Last edited:
Thats a good result,i hate the rain... can`t see anything! Still suffering from some drivtrain reliabilty issues with your car... I wonder whats going on? Is it because your running on hard level? Is there a differance between easy and hard with reliability?

Thats a good point premhz, I've never actually thought of that but I guess that would be the case, I mean, every race I've done so far I've had a problem, whether its engine or gearbox. But thankfully I've just done the Nurburgring and this is how I faired.

Round 5, Nurburgring, Europe (Germany)

Qualifying, it was cloudy and quite dull, I knew I could do well here and capatilise on points so I pushed the car to the limit in Q1 with the 9th fastest time whilst Takuma made up the back row, again nobody major out in the first session. In Q2 I was aiming to get through to Q3 and put in a time 7th fastest and with this I drove back to the garage and advanced time which was foolish as I just crept through in 10th place with a BMW about 2 tenths behind me. I was very luckily indeed. Anyway, I pressed on with Q3 and was expecting nothing more or less (obviously) than 10th. The weather became sunny and I posted a time and plummeted to 10th. I did a couple more laps but was staying in the high 1:31's and not improving. With this I returned to the garage and saw I was a whole second behind 9th place man Trulli. Well 10th isn't that bad on a one stop stratergy.

Race day was cloudy but no mention of rain in the commentary but for conditions to get better. I knew this would be an important race as the next is Spain which I hate so now was the time to get valuable points. When the lights went out I was on the inside line for turn 1 and moved up to 6th just squeezing past Alonso, I think he was mad and pushed to hard to get back infront and retired with an engine failure. I was in clear air with both McLarens infront of me and both Honda's behind me. I thought 6th place was brilliant. When the turn of pistops arrived I stayed out until I was in 2nd running 12 seconds behind Massa. I was very lucky though as Raikkonen got held up behind Sato for 2 laps giving me a chance to move up to 5th. I pulled out my fastest lap, and the next I went into the pits, it was a successful stop of 7.2 seconds and rejoined 5th. Both Honda's 3 seconds behind but in the final laps, Barrichello was close, but I held him off until the chequred flag, but to be honest if it wasn't the chicane before the Coca-Cola curve then I would have been screwed. Anyway, I now have a pretty decent 13 points for the championship and moved up 2 places into 7th in the standings. All but 2 drivers remain to score points, they are Sato and Monteiro.

About the reliability issue, On my career mode on medium I've only ever lost 1 gear and had 1 engine failure in maybe ~10 races (Plus test runs, though I don't think it affects you in those).

Maybe there is a higher chance in Hard mode, who knows.

Well in 4+ seasons in the career mode (med & hard difficulties), and I don't know how many laps in the weekend mode, I have experienced no engine failures and no tranny failures. Now I've only ever used the auto gearbox so maybe that is the explanation.

BTW DF, very impressive drive in the rain.

Round 6, Catalunya, Spain

Damn, I thought, Spain, possibly one of the worst tracks in real life and the game. The only decent thing for me was the conditions in qualifying, had it of been raining god knows. I exited the garage, already I knew this would be a complete failure, as on my warm up lap I shooted into the gravel just missing the barrier, but, I kept a good PMA and went into my flying lap, I was lucky to fill up the last orange bar of the speed indicator as I got in the slipstream of Massa, and went through sector 1 with a low 0.24 which wasn't to bad but sector is a living hell for me, Massa was out of sight even when I was pushing this car to the limit. I came round the last to corners, 16.., 17.., 18.., posted a 1:19.234 and was not happy when I saw all the other drivers posting any time lower than 1:19. I tried to improve my time but nothing came and when I arrived in my garage and saw the times, I was 21st, I was lucky to get that to be honest as Barrichello got caught in traffic, looking at sector times, it looked as if it was the end of sector 2 beginning of sector 3. Oh well, it could have been one place worse I suppose.

The race, cloudy and dull, no rain forecast so that was good. The lights went out and I move up the field as all the way up to sector 3 it was all hustle and bustle but when I went through the start/finish line I was quite happily running in 17th, not brilliant I know but there you go. I later moved up to 16th when Scott Speed recieved a retirement with an engine failure. Coming down to turn one the very next lap, me and Villeneuve were in some sort of drag race, I took the inside whilst he took the outside, but he swerved into me, great, I was now 20th and when I went into the pits I came out 18th, not to bad I guess but it got worse when some team mate of mine, thought it would be funny to whack me into the gravel, it wasn't funny so now I was officially 21st which was consequenty last place. I was gaining on Monterio but there was not enough time and crossed the line 2 seconds behind him. Luckily, I stayed 7th in the standings but only just. Anyway, next race is Monaco and I am expecting no more or no less than a podium. Greedy, I know but, many real F1 drivers have said, you need a big ego to success in this sport.

The problem with Spain is you need to whack the downforce right up to be competitive, and you've banned setups.

I've had gears break before - and it's usually down to shifting down too early. The engine problems are probably the over-revving caused by the same thing.

Do you sometimes shift down, then brake? That seems to be the easiest way to knacker the car.

I've had gears break before - and it's usually down to shifting down too early. The engine problems are probably the over-revving caused by the same thing.

Do you sometimes shift down, then brake? That seems to be the easiest way to knacker the car.

I do the opposite I break, then shift down but I've been working on it and finished 3 races so I'm getting to grips with it. As for the gearbox, god only knows what happened to that.

From what I've learned from the game is; if you are using an auto gear box and high traction control, you won't have reliability problems unless your gearing is off an you're over revving the engine.

If you are driving manual transmission, you have to take care of your shifts correctly or suffer the consequences. If you are using low traction control, you can't be spinning the tires off the corners all day long or you may lose your engine. It is more of a concern in longer races. Maybe though in a shorter race, it is scaled like the tire wear. I went out just trying to abuse the car til partial failure and then complete failure and it can easily be done. It's not just random. I wonder though if some failures are built in randomly.

I use manual box and low trac control. I brake and then start shifting down a split second later. Never lost a engine or gear yet,even after tagging the limiter on upshifts and downshifts,although i avoid doing it as it was the plague :-)

Hi all, sorry about the wait, I've been busy all weekend so thats why no posts have been made but I have had time to qualify for Monaco, I hope you enjoy, I certainly did!

Round 7, Monte Carlo, Monaco

Well after a while away I returned to the cockpit with high expectations. In Q1 I was hoping for a sunny or a cloudy sessions and got the sun. I headed out of the garage and crashed, dammit I thought, but I kept a good attitude and completed my first lap minutes after with a 1:14 which wasn't brilliant as I was 13th so I decided to do another and did a low 1:13 which was worthy of 2nd place. In Q2 with high aspirations managed to complete the cloudy session with a mid 1:13 to secure 3rd place which was awsome, 2nd or 3rd for Q3 was a realistic aim I guessed. With Q3 just around the corner I watched Heidfeld complete a flying lap to move him up to 4th. However, Raikkonen, started 14th, Alonso wil start 12th and Massa 11th, get in there! Anyway, Q3 I guess you could call a doddle as on my first lap posted a 1:13.3 and that was enough for a decent position. When I arrived in the pit lane after another cloudy session I advanced the time until the end of the session and managed to achieve a bloody brilliant pole position ahead of Schumacher (M). From here a victory is possible, but a podium will be fantastic!

It's been a while but here we go.

Round 7, Monte Carlo, Monaco (Race)

Well, awsome weather, hot and sunny and no rain predicted, I could walk this and when the lights went out came out of turn 1 first but was overtaken by Schumacher into turn 2 but I broke late into turn 3 and just squeezed through, from here I pulled out another 2 seconds over the AI each lap, so it was pretty easy and had nothing to worry about in my first and only pit stop and as it was a late stop, I rejoined 1st again, I suffered another gearbox problem but have no idea how it happened but still managed to pull out time over the AI, and the car made it to the end but the last lap was the slowest lap ever as crashing on the last lap would have been terrible. I took the podium of P1 and now moved up in the championship but cannot remember where but all I know is I needed it because I hate Spain and will probably lose valuable points, Hope you enjoyed.

Latest Posts

Back