Donnie Dark Part II?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Diego440
  • 16 comments
  • 850 views

Diego440

Born to browse
Premium
Messages
12,486
Venezuela
CCS
Messages
GTP_Diego
Perez Hilton
A sequel to cult film classic Donnie Darko is in the works.

Nooooooooooo!!!!!!!

The title of the sequel is S. Darko and it starts shooting on May 18th.

Daviegh Chase will reprise her role as Donnie's younger sister. The cast for S. Darko also includes Ed Westwick (Gossip Girls' Chuck Bass!), Briana Evigan (Step Up 2) and Justin Chatwin (Dragon Ball).

The story picks up seven years after the first film (and Donnie's death) when little sister Samantha Darko and her best friend Corey are now 18 and on a roadtrip to Los Angeles when they are plagued by bizarre visions.

There's no Donnie at all in the new film (sorry Jake Gyllenhaal fans), but there will be meteorites and rabbits.

We really wish they would've left Darko alone.

What are YOUR thoughts on the sequel?


I've always been partial to leaving the classics alone, especially when they are cult classics and get the point across without much need for clarifying... A sequel to D.D. will most likely be a mix between Final Destination and The Neverending Story... further proof that Hollywood is running out of creativity.
 
They're going to ruin it, it was fine as it was.
 
While Donnie Darko was entertaining, I didn't find it lived up to its hype.

I do believe, however, that this sequel will suck the proverbial rock.
 
Maybe it will be a good comedy
 
They can't ruin the first film, that was great imo and regardless of a sequel it still will be. I have to say I'm not going to follow this with much anticipation of it being very good.
 
I can't quite remember this movie, but I remember it being one of those where they go through the whole movie. At the end they say it wasn't all true and he wasn't really alive or something? Basically, a story and then they say oh sorry it's all made up. like in Click...

With that said, how long has it been since the first one? At this point some how since the first one obviously wasn't memorable I don't really care about a second one. Not to mention a sequal sounds like a bad idea sometimes....
 
The orig is one of the best and most creative movies ive seen. The way the story was told and the way it played out and ended i don't see how they could make a sequel to it. The story was very deep and had many, many layers to it. Also watching the deleted scenes make you understand even more of the movie. Also, the website is great! Making this movie is just a horrible idea, instead of trying to remake a movie that can't and shouldn't be touched i don't mind them remaking older movies. I would myself love to see a "new" version of Robocop. With the way CG is now and all that would be great. I would also love to see some video games made into movies. Especially Halo series. The story line would make a great movie, that whole thing just didn't work out. I remember after i completed Halo 1 i was telling my friend, man this would make a great movie! Blows it didn't happen...
 
Robocop was wayyy ahead of it's time. Remaking one now would be like Micheal bay remaking Transformers...

Hollywood don't get any ideas either.
 
I can't quite remember this movie, but I remember it being one of those where they go through the whole movie. At the end they say it wasn't all true and he wasn't really alive or something? Basically, a story and then they say oh sorry it's all made up. like in Click...
That's miles off the mark, nothing that happened was made up nor was he already dead, what happened happened it just lead to him dieing in the past and it not happening (if that makes sense) which prevented the universe from being destroyed.
 
Well... ok, then like Fight club... ? Either way it's a retarded way of making a movie.

Oh man... better put on my fight club flame suit now.
 
Not really like Fight Club at all, Fight Club was about a schitzophrenic who had created a character in his mind. Like I siad, everything in Donnie Darko happens, it was deep thats all. It was the kind of film where it's easy to get lost in and if you do that in a movie it's easy not to care. It isn't everyones cup of tea, it never would be but it's a deep film and imo a very good one.
 
This and Lost Boys.. two films that never left themselves open for a sequel, and yet here we are.

I think that sequels like this are done for no other reason than to give out-of-work writers, directors, and actors a chance to pay next month's rent.
 
Robocop was wayyy ahead of it's time. Remaking one now would be like Micheal bay remaking Transformers...

Hollywood don't get any ideas either.


You don't think that a remake of Robocop would be good? Also, did you really think that Transformers was that bad? Sure it wasn't dedicated to the real fans (which i have been since the original cartoon, was way into them and thundercats when i was kid) but i can understand that. When they do films like that they can't just make them strictly for fanboys or they wouldn't make any money compared to making it so that everyone can enjoy it. Did you like Iron Man? It was made the same way to where everyone could enjoy it and it was a really good movie:tup: Can't wait for the number 2....avengers!
 
You don't think that a remake of Robocop would be good? Also, did you really think that Transformers was that bad? Sure it wasn't dedicated to the real fans (which i have been since the original cartoon, was way into them and thundercats when i was kid) but i can understand that. When they do films like that they can't just make them strictly for fanboys or they wouldn't make any money compared to making it so that everyone can enjoy it. Did you like Iron Man? It was made the same way to where everyone could enjoy it and it was a really good movie:tup: Can't wait for the number 2....avengers!

I don't think a RoboCop remake would be good at all. Verhoeven's touch was what MADE RoboCop as good as it was. The only effects shot that didn't look quite up to par was the one where Dick Jones falls out the OCP building at the end. I assume the effects you'd like to see redone are those for the ED-209 robot, since stop-motion animation really tends to show its age - and subsequently make the entire film seem old - when held up against the effects of today's movies. But if you can imagine what a CG ED-209 would look like, don't you think it would seem fake? No matter what, CG still isn't at the level where it can fool the human eye, and it takes at least some degree of disbelief on the part of the viewer to really make it work at all.

You see, Verhoeven used REAL models and squibs so overloaded with blood and gore that when I watched Clarence Boddiker shoot Murphy's hand off with a shotgun and then shoot him in the head as a child of 10, it made a PERMANENT impression on me for the rest of my life.

The movie looks as perfectly polished today as it did TWENTY-ONE years ago; get a good look at a proper version of the film, like the Criterion disc, and you'll see it's smooth and flawless. The use of models for the ED-209 and specifically NOT using computer graphics is another reason RoboCop is considered a landmark in the world of science fiction films in my opinion. Remaking it today with CG would be akin to a certain Mr. Lucas (don't get me started, and I ain't alone; read Post #7 HERE) revisiting his old classics - you remember when Yoda and Jabba looked real because they were made from REAL models? When was that, back in the 80s I think...the same era which spawned...RoboCop! - and putting in so much CG he and his movies lost touch with reality. Anyone in here prefer the redone CG Jabba from the redux version of A New Hope to his rubbery latex counterpart from the original Return of the Jedi? (If I hear one peep I'm kicking asses and taking names)

Transformers wasn't really a remake at all, but rather an imagining of cartoon / comic / toy characters as a live-action film. But it's still a perfect example of what I'm talking about here. Movies are intended to offer viewers an escape from reality, and using a REAL life-size mock-up of an ED-209 makes the scene where one of the bipedal robots blows the smithereens out of an OCP employee during a demonstration absolutely 100% visceral, and more importantly, REAL. I don't know about you guys, but when Optimus Prime made his first appearance and bent down to "talk" to Shia and his skanky girlfriend in the alley, I didn't for one second think it was real. Impressive display of CG technology and overall quite appealing to the eyes, but fake as hell nevertheless.

But that's just my opinion.

Well, I think I've done enough steering us completely off-topic here. I apologize. Back to discussing how great Donnie Darko was (and how un-great a sequel would be).
 
I understand where you are coming from with the CG. When CG is mixed with lots of real items like it was in Iron Man its fantastic because its hard to tell whats what. If they did real models for Transformers it would just cost way too much, so i understand why they did what they did. But on the Robocop, im not denying the original was done very well, i would just love to see the real stuff mixed with the CG done tastefully like in Iron Man. And yes the stop motion does look outdated but it wasn't horrible considering. Now the cars picked to be used as cop cars, they were the only things i had a problem with....LOL.
 
You don't think that a remake of Robocop would be good? Also, did you really think that Transformers was that bad? Sure it wasn't dedicated to the real fans (which i have been since the original cartoon, was way into them and thundercats when i was kid) but i can understand that. When they do films like that they can't just make them strictly for fanboys or they wouldn't make any money compared to making it so that everyone can enjoy it. Did you like Iron Man? It was made the same way to where everyone could enjoy it and it was a really good movie:tup: Can't wait for the number 2....avengers!

I can see them doing a Robocop like Robocop III, the 3rd one was rubbish... just [censored] rubbish although I like the Samurai robot when it went postal. lol Transformers was garbage... all I saw were flashy robots that changed forevah and didn't talk. I couldn't even tell who was good and who wasn't sometimes. Also, the Autobots didn't go sneaking around or destroying the humans domain... I'd really really like to see Iron Man, I'm probably gonna like it so I'll just go with that right now.

You see, Verhoeven used REAL models and squibs so overloaded with blood and gore that when I watched Clarence Boddiker shoot Murphy's hand off with a shotgun and then shoot him in the head as a child of 10, it made a PERMANENT impression on me for the rest of my life.

The sound and visual effects on both Robocop 1 and 2 were [censored] brutal but [censored] awesome! I still love them today!
 
This and Lost Boys.. two films that never left themselves open for a sequel, and yet here we are.

That is the gist of the whole argument. Darko (thankfuly) didn't leave room for a sequel, so creating one out of nothing pretty much ruins the whole concept of the movie.

There are other movies that have been great cult classics or just box office successes and don't leave it open for sequels, yet I wouldn't be surprised if we saw sequels in the near, creativeless Hollywood era.

Don't be surprised if some of these pop up soon:
- The Big Lebowski 2: I'm still the Dude
- I Am Legend 2: The Return
- Fight Club II: Tyler Durden vs. Keyser Soze
- Black Hawk Down 2: Mission Panama
 
Back