Donnie Darko

  • Thread starter Thread starter risingson77
  • 9 comments
  • 1,118 views
Messages
4,036
So, who here has seen it? I just saw it last night for the first time. It was a half-fluke that I even saw this movie. Thank heavens for happy accidents, eh?

The movie is awesome. The atmosphere, the pacing. The acting is astonishing - I never had even the smallest feeling that they were "acting", just that I had a window into someone else's life.

It's a strange film, no doubt. It does require that you pay attention and get involved with the movie. No falling asleep to this one!

Its purpose is somewhat vague. I imagine that the director left it this way on purpose, so as to leave room for interpretation. If you like all your ends tied up neatly at the end of ninety to one hundred and two minutes, this movie will probably make you a bit uncomfortable. It bears discussing and repeated viewings. I purchased the DVD just today, so I'll be watching it again tonight (with the deleted scenes).

Your thoughts......?
 
Who's in it? Say a little about it. Does it fall into a genre? If it sounds interesting I'll watch it.
 
Fair enough.

Genre - Drama/Sci-Fi, I suppose.

It's about a boy named Donnie (duh ;) ). Donnie has problems. Like being completely unable to passively suckle the teat of Middle America's apathy and stupidity. Also, there's Frank the Bunny. Frank is a man in an evil-looking bunny costume that Donnie sees in the bathroom mirror. Frank encourages Donnie to do antisocial things. I won't say what; I think it's better that you watch the movie to find out. :)

In addition to the creepy and surreal elements, there are the film's questions about ther choices we make - and if we could change certain things in our lives, would we? It also questions the façade many people maintain in their lives.

I won't say more, except that you really should watch the film. It is quite engrossing.... :)
 
I saw it a while back.
Very depressing, put-you-in-a-dark-mood kind of movie.
Still a great film.
You're right, the acting is terrific.
 
Yeah, I had a little trouble sleeping after watching it the second time. :(

It's a great movie, but I don't know if I can (or should) watch it very often.
 
Originally posted by risingson77
So, who here has seen it? I just saw it last night for the first time. It was a half-fluke that I even saw this movie. Thank heavens for happy accidents, eh?

Totally agree with u. It is an amazing movie. I think the DVD Commentary might explain some of it a bit. Haven't got round to listening to it yet.
 
Supposedly the deleted scenes explain more as well. I have yet to watch them myself.... :p
 
looked if there was a thread about this movie... so no need to start another thread

but damn it was a good movie, gotta watch it again to understand some signs.
look it up at imdb.com and youll get some explantions
 
I've heard it's a great movie from many sources but have never got the chance to watch it.
 
Back