Downshifting issues pcars PC - G29PC 

• Thread starter adam1942
  • 28 comments
sockme
Anyone having issues with downshifting with pcars on the PC using a G29?

I've created a video

Cant downshift at 26s, 42s, 54s, 1:11, 1:18 etc

Checked and this works on the PS4 version. Also checked on the pcars forum and found this http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?51462-Slow-shifts

Seems a little strange and it can't be disabled? very annoying as they say its because the community complained but you can't over rev on downshift. Manually clutching works but I dont have the shifter so its very counterintuitive imo

Is there a list of cars that have downshift protection? Also @The_American can you confirm if its PC version only if so why are the gaming experiences not the same across all platforms? Is it due to what was said on the thread from the official forums?

It's working as intended. It's like that in modern cars, The computer won't let you downshift if you are reving too high. No issue.

Not all the cars in the game are modern cars, some cars prevent you from downshifting at an rpm where you might realistically downshift. I personally think it is a big issue and hurts game play quite a lot. It needs an option to be disabled.

And if you think it needs to be there because modern cars may have it then consider ABS, most semi modren cars are equipped with ABS and it can not be disabled but the game lets you do so. Same is true on cars that have TC that can't be disabled and it also allows you to use TC STM and ABS on cars that would not have any of those.

Just a thought - I was having down shift problems as well and found that if I turned the auto clutch on, the issue went away. I was using paddle shifters.

Well yes you should not be able to downshift from 6th to 1st at high speed without damage but my issue with it is that when driving many cars in the way that I would normally drive them they fail to downshift and we are talking about cases where the engine would not go into the red due to them having a high revving engine.

I did notice that you can still downshift from 6th to 1st if you want, you just have to use the clutch to do so so if that is the only reason for adding it I would say it failed and resulted in messing up the driving experience for some of us who would never do that in the first place.

I get the machine gun down shifting is wrong but enforce damage the engine blows up if you go from 6th to 1st do not take control away. If you look at how quick the clio brakes and deaccelerates I should be able to use more agressive engine braking at the risk of damagaing the engine. Im going from 4th to 2nd which imo isnt the same.

To be honest I can live with it but what I dont get is that this is only enforced on pc players. Ps4 players can do as they wish.

I hate it, In order to drive the cars on the edge I now have to pay close attention to each different car to 1: see if it has this protection and 2: what rpm does it allow a shift at. This does not effect all cars and the ones it does effect the rpm seem to be different in some gears than in others.

I was not aware that it was not on the consoles. If that is the case then it definitely needs an option to disable on the PC.

Between this so called feature and the limited FFB setting in game I see it as a major step below PCars 1

I hate it, In order to drive the cars on the edge I now have to pay close attention to each different car to 1: see if it has this protection and 2: what rpm does it allow a shift at. This does not effect all cars and the ones it does effect the rpm seem to be different in some gears than in others.

I was not aware that it was not on the consoles. If that is the case then it definitely needs an option to disable on the PC.

Between this so called feature and the limited FFB setting in game I see it as a major step below PCars 1

I thought you wanted simulation ? My cars has electronic shifting and it won't let me downshift I'm reving too high. This is what car manufacturer are imposing on their vehicle now. My Mustang had TCS but even disable, it didn't disable all of it.

I thought you wanted simulation ? My cars has electronic shifting and it won't let me downshift I'm reving too high. This is what car manufacturer are imposing on their vehicle now. My Mustang had TCS but even disable, it didn't disable all of it.

The game does not give simulation, it does have some options that you can set that makes it close though the behavior at the point where grip is lost is not very realistic at all. My Mustang has TCS also and a button to disable it ABS can not be disabled[not meant to be anyway] and it does not have STM. In game if that car were there I could have STM and I could turn off ABS I can also turn on a driving line, assisted steering and assisted braking, don;t tell me I should not be able to downshift from 3rd to 2nd because it will make my engine go to within 500 rpms of the redline when I release the clutch.

I'm having this issue with the f40 and a few other cars and H shifter. I can downshift but the engine cuts off until I apply accelerator or breaks and that on PS4

I'm having this issue with the f40 and a few other cars and H shifter. I can downshift but the engine cuts off until I apply accelerator or breaks and that on PS4

Yep, its a different problem and its only solved using autoclutch.

For some reason people are not really paying attention to this, it has to do with the clutch being registered as on or off.

Its a common issue on older h pattern shift cars.

Its totally different than the downshift protection people are talking about.

ah, it isn't just me who had this experience. Annoying enough though. I had it with the Audi DTM 91 yesterday.

@The_American, is this tied to the clutch problem? Hopefully it is on the fix list!

Enjoying the game very much. I never knew I could have so much fun with an Opel in a game. 2 lap race in the Opel TCR in Dubai. What a great feeling. The the move from dusk to night, is so awesome.

Best fun with your panties on!

This exactly what you should want though. I mean you couldn't just start bypassing down shift protections in a real car now could you? I mean sure if you strong arm it enough you can, but how long is that gunna last? If you enable an option to disable it then you're just going to force anyone to be competitive to have to disable for those machine gun downshifts we saw in PC1. I don't want that, heck I don't think anyone really wants that if they did they'd be playing a more arcade game. Just my .02

Ah, the good old downshift protection debate. Same debate happened in AC and R3E when it was added to those games, almost verbatim. When people first encounter it they think the game's broken or the feature needs removed, then they get used to it and learn how to shift in a way that avoids it and it's never mentioned again. Once you adapt to it it's a non-issue.

This exactly what you should want though. I mean you couldn't just start bypassing down shift protections in a real car now could you? I mean sure if you strong arm it enough you can, but how long is that gunna last? If you enable an option to disable it then you're just going to force anyone to be competitive to have to disable for those machine gun downshifts we saw in PC1. I don't want that, heck I don't think anyone really wants that if they did they'd be playing a more arcade game. Just my .02
Simple have engine damage on and let it blow the engine when they try the machine gun downshift. That or do like GT and just make it free wheel when the downshift throws it well over the limit.

My issue with the game is that in some cars it will not let you downshift at speeds where you actually should be able to and it varies from car to car.

I can't understand why anyone would think driving line is ok, assisted steering is ok, tc, abs and stm on cars which never had them is ok, disabling any or all assists even on cars where one or more of these can not be disabled is ok but disabling the imposed downshift limit is wrong??

Sorry but this does not cut it for me and I am pretty sure that at least some of the cars I have saw this in do not have it in real life either.

I'm happy with it and it doesn't affect me in any way.
I prefer this than having to cringe watching videos of completely unrealistic downshifts.

I have no idea which cars do or do not have it in real life, so can't comment on that.

I can't understand why anyone would think driving line is ok, assisted steering is ok, tc, abs and stm on cars which never had them is ok, disabling any or all assists even on cars where one or more of these can not be disabled is ok but disabling the imposed downshift limit is wrong??

Sorry but this does not cut it for me and I am pretty sure that at least some of the cars I have saw this in do not have it in real life either.

I made that same argument, almost word for word, when DSP was added to Assetto Corsa. Now I'm not bothered by it in the least and it's pretty rare that I even trigger it anymore because I've learned to drive around it. 👍

Ah, the good old downshift protection debate. Same debate happened in AC and R3E when it was added to those games, almost verbatim. When people first encounter it they think the game's broken or the feature needs removed, then they get used to it and learn how to shift in a way that avoids it and it's never mentioned again. Once you adapt to it it's a
Simple have engine damage on and let it blow the engine when they try the machine gun downshift. That or do like GT and just make it free wheel when the downshift throws it well over the limit.

My issue with the game is that in some cars it will not let you downshift at speeds where you actually should be able to and it varies from car to car.

Wait so you're saying it wont let you downshift when it would still be below the rev limiter? That sounds like a bug to me. I don't know of any cars that would/do that. If it will cause obvious harm...ya. Like going from 5th to 1st by accident instead of 3rd. But what you're saying doesn't seem right. What car(s) are you talking about in game i'd like to hop in and test em out.

I tested it this morning in the Nissan 240z-isch or something.

Steps to reproduce:
1 Cruising in 3rd gear 4000 rps.
2 Brake.
3 Press clutch and shift to 2nd gear.
4 Release clutch
5 Do not press the accelerator.

In my real car the revs would adept to the revs from the engine and the second gear I have chosen. The car in this case is propelling the engine, known as engine braking.

In pc2 engine goes to stationary revs. This is not correct. I can reproduce it. A lot of manual cars have this awkward behaviour.

Any tips on what I do "wrong"?

My real life car has done 250000 km. Transmission, clutch, and engine are still in very good condition. I don't overrev in real life, nor do I intend to in my simulations.

Last edited:
I like driving late model open wheel and Prototypes (the TS040 is worst LMP1 problem) they should be instant down shift in PC2 they are not and that is a game broken experience to me. If this is a fail safe rev limiter that prevents this officially then why can I drive the 1980 Capri in PC2 with instant paddle down shifting with no limitation to the rev zone? At 80 MPH I can machine gun the Capri all the way from top to reverse if want to so where's the so called rev limiter equipment fail safe there? There's no excuse for the late model formula cars not to be able to down shift as fast as I can pull the trigger. If its real life the game is replicating here then do that! PC1 can do this as it should be.

* I'm paddle shifting, manual, auto clutch as stated.
Sorry I'm on PC platform using the Thrustmaster Ferrari F1 wheel not G-29 but I think it should't matter in this conversation.

Last edited:
@Braveflea , I think it indeed does not matter on what platform you are. The official pc2 forum also have topics in the pc section about it.

Sometimes I also experience that rebooting the game gives a different, more correct, experience.

@Braveflea , I think it indeed does not matter on what platform you are. The official pc2 forum also have topics in the pc section about it.

Sometimes I also experience that rebooting the game gives a different, more correct, experience.

Thanks, I'll wait to see what happens, hopefully SMS will deal with this sooner than later.

Last edited:
I tested it this morning in the Nissan 240z-isch or something.

Steps to reproduce:
1 Cruising in 3rd gear 4000 rps.
2 Brake.
3 Press clutch and shift to 2nd gear.
4 Release clutch
5 Do not press the accelerator.

In my real car the revs would adept to the revs from the engine and the second gear I have chosen. The car in this case is propelling the engine, known as engine braking.

In pc2 engine goes to stationary revs. This is not correct. I can reproduce it. A lot of manual cars have this awkward behaviour.

Any tips on what I do "wrong"?

My real life car has done 250000 km. Transmission, clutch, and engine are still in very good condition. I don't overrev in real life, nor do I intend to in my simulations.

I did some tests in the game, and i´m 99% sure the problem with H pattern downshifting has to do with how much you have to travel the clutch before it´s actually engaged. This is an issue with linear pedals like in the G25, the clutch is only engaged in the final 10% of the travel, which means you have to go there, stay there, shift, release, and then start the process again for the next downshift.

But if you do this it´s almost impossible to shift while the clutch is registered by the game as engaged, that´s why we get that feeling like the car is stuck on neutral and the engine is dead.

It´s a shame because almost nobody plays the H pattern cars with manual clutch, so nobody cares to fix this, because it´s only affecting half a dozen people.

You can test for yourself in the game by starting up the car and testing just how early the clutch releases and let´s the car move. It only uses the 10% deeper end of the pedal. This makes some sense in real life, where you can feel the biting point better to know if it´s engaged or not. With a linear pedal this becomes almost impossible to know if the clutch is engaged, because it´s only actually "on" at the very deep end of the pedal travel.

Games like AC also have these different types of features to prevent crazy downshift, but since the biting point of the clutch is way earlier you can downshift properly and the game reads the input and proceeds to give the regular engine brake effect of the downshifted gear.

Clutch sensitivity does not solve this, so it´s something they would need to change it in a patch, just by reading the clutch input as soon as you press the clutch pedal - and not on the very bottom of the pedal as it stands right now.

After being dumbfounded by this since the first time i´ve played, i think i finally figured out what´s causing this, hopefully you guys can test and see if the results are the same.

I did some tests in the game, and i´m 99% sure the problem with H pattern downshifting has to do with how much you have to travel the clutch before it´s actually engaged. This is an issue with linear pedals like in the G25, the clutch is only engaged in the final 10% of the travel, which means you have to go there, stay there, shift, release, and then start the process again for the next downshift.

But if you do this it´s almost impossible to shift while the clutch is registered by the game as engaged, that´s why we get that feeling like the car is stuck on neutral and the engine is dead.

It´s a shame because almost nobody plays the H pattern cars with manual clutch, so nobody cares to fix this, because it´s only affecting half a dozen people.

You can test for yourself in the game by starting up the car and testing just how early the clutch releases and let´s the car move. It only uses the 10% deeper end of the pedal. This makes some sense in real life, where you can feel the biting point better to know if it´s engaged or not. With a linear pedal this becomes almost impossible to know if the clutch is engaged, because it´s only actually "on" at the very deep end of the pedal travel.

Games like AC also have these different types of features to prevent crazy downshift, but since the biting point of the clutch is way earlier you can downshift properly and the game reads the input and proceeds to give the regular engine brake effect of the downshifted gear.

Clutch sensitivity does not solve this, so it´s something they would need to change it in a patch, just by reading the clutch input as soon as you press the clutch pedal - and not on the very bottom of the pedal as it stands right now.

After being dumbfounded by this since the first time i´ve played, i think i finally figured out what´s causing this, hopefully you guys can test and see if the results are the same.
If there's one thing I adore about Assetto Corsa, it's the realism of clutch/H-shifting. The "slip" and "bite point" are very realistic to me.

Back